| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: what should my mom buy me in Ireland?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:19 pm 
Saggy Butt

My mom is going to Ireland next week and then she'll be visiting me in the US in August. Obviously she's going to have to buy me food.

I was wondering if you have vegan white chocolate there and if so (I'm crossing fingers so hard) what brands. I'm trying to give her specifics, since she's not vegan and isn't an experienced label reader. If she shows up here with milk powder bars, it could be the end of our relationship. (Not really.)

Aside from that else should I put on the list? I don't like regular chocolate, but I pretty much love any other sort of candy.

I did do some searching, but mostly found information on fresh foods which is not helpful for me.

Thanks for your help.

Post subject: Re: what should my mom buy me in Ireland?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:16 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

My favourite white chocolate that's available here is Organica. Blue and black wrapper. Health food shops tend to have it, though the price varies wildly. A couple of other brands do produce the elusive vegan white chocolate, but I've found them a bit less-than-awesome.

If she's flying out of Dublin, then I'd recommend that she picks you up a bunch of Vegusto cheese - which is totally shelf stable for 48 hours, as well as being yum. Spendy, but yum. Down to Earth is a health food store in Dublin centre that has a good range of vegusto products. No muh melty and non-melty, sandwich slices, and schnitzel. If she can only pick up one, I say go with the no muh melty.
Speculoos, the caramel biscuit spread. It's amazeballs and about €4 a jar from Fallon and Byrne, who are (handily) about a hundred yards from Down to Earth. Just down the road from both of these is another HFS called Nourish. They stock goodies from Natasha's living food, which is a local company. I recommend the cacao and coconut slice, which doesn't need refrigeration.

If you like licorice, then Panda brand natural licorice is really good, and I believe that all their bags are vegan except for the licorice torpedoes, which are gross anyway :)

Supermarkets:
If you're a fan of biscuits/cookies, they are light and travel well. I'm a big fan of Lotus caramelised biscuits and chocolate chip hobnobs or original, plain hobnobs(but not the half-coated ones as they're not vegan). Most supermarkets also have Nakd bars (often in the section with the dried beans), which are made of oats and fruit. They usually come in multipacks and I recommend the apple pie and banana bread varieties. There's a good variety of posh crisps/chips. I like O Donnells handcooked crisps - the cider vinegar and sea salt ones in the blue bag are vegan. Bonne Maman is a French brand of jam and they make some gorgeous stuff. I have a jar of peach at the moment that I could eat with a spoon.

You say you don't like regular chocolate, do you mean just solid bars, or also chocolate based/covered doodahs like MnMs,milky ways or truffles?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:15 am 
Ninja Master

If you like candy but not chocolate, there's jelly tots and starburst that you can find in most supermarkets or shops and garages.

I'm not sure how if it's the same in ireland but here, some supermarkets, in their 'free from' section if they have one, have dairy free white chocolate buttons. They used to be Sweet William brand but I'm sure the ones I saw the other day were actually moo free. I was tired though so I could be wrong. But I agree with GG, the organica white chocolate is the best if you can find it. Cheezly also travels well. Crisps - there's hula hoops, skips, nik-naks (which are amazing!), some of the walkers flavours are ok (salt & vinegar, plain, prawn cocktail, worcester sauce - but she'll have to do some label reading on other flavours as they're the only ones I know of).

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:18 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

GaietyGirl wrote:
If she's flying out of Dublin, then I'd recommend that she picks you up a bunch of Vegusto cheese - which is totally shelf stable for 48 hours, as well as being yum. Spendy, but yum. Down to Earth is a health food store in Dublin centre that has a good range of vegusto products. No muh melty and non-melty, sandwich slices, and schnitzel. If she can only pick up one, I say go with the no muh melty.

I was going to suggest exactly this. That little health food store has really great and exciting stuff! Including vegan white chocolate buttons. And most importantly, the Vegusto!

I'm jealous of your mum. I wanna go back!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:17 pm 
Saggy Butt

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I'm sending them over. GaietyGirl, I'm not a fan of chocolate in any form really. If there's anything really exciting though, I do like having some of that stuff to share.

And vijita, I know! She's so lucky. She's staying with a friend too, which I always think makes the whole experience nicer.