| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: UK Stevia thread!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:11 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I know there's lots of stuff on stevia on this forum, but haven't found much UK specific information so I thought I'd start a thread.

Firstly - do you think it's a good thing to use? I'm always sceptical about everything and haven't done much research on it because I'm lazy.

Secondly - which product would you recommend? I know tesco has an own-brand granulated one, and then there's trivia (there seems to be a massive difference in the weight/volume ratio!) And then there are all the little sachet thingies. I'd use it mostly for baking though so I think those are out.

Thirdly - How do you sub sugar with it in baking? e.g. how much do you use per unit of sugar you would usually use?

I've gone a bit health crazy and am trying to make everything lower in fat/sugar/calories, but I can't do without baking haha.

Thanks!

Please can you stop the noise, I'm trying to get some rest from all the unborn chicken voices in my head.

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: UK Stevia thread!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:12 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I liked it at first but after a while the weird after taste just killed my like for it. I rather use some agave to sweeten my tea or cereals.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:03 pm 

I have been using agave, but I read an article a while ago that said Agave was basically as nutritious as high fructose corn syrup. Not sure how true that is since it didn't cite any actual sources but it put me off a bit :D

Please can you stop the noise, I'm trying to get some rest from all the unborn chicken voices in my head.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:36 pm 

I am a bit skeptical about the healthy-ness of agave too! Would really like to try stevia but have many of the same uncertainties as you, especially the amount to sub in when baking!? My flatmate used to use to buy a half stevia half sugar blend for her tea, that has been my only exposure hahah

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:44 am 

I was really excited when I heard that we were finally getting stevia after reading so much about it but I found it a bit meh.

I have been using the sachets in coffee, I might continue but that's about the only thing I can take it in as I find it has that horrible sweetener taste.

I see on Ocado that Truvia have got a baking blend but it's half sugar, half stevia or whatever ratios make it work).

I think personally I'd rather just take the sugar calories less often.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:12 am 
Ninja Master

I like sweet freedom over agave, it's not as sickly and it says it's made from dates. Whether that makes it any better for you I dunno.

I was put off stevia years ago when I bought a bottle of the liquid and it was sweet but also really bitter. It had the grossest aftertaste - like that stuff they used to put on kids' nails to stop them biting! GAHHH, mingin. I've never tried it since, unless it's been in things, like this new fruit juice with half stevia. Which is gross by the way - too sweet, fake sweet!

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:54 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Katie wrote:
I am a bit skeptical about the healthy-ness of agave too!
I've always been of the opinion that if you want to eat healthily, eating syrup is probably not the best option. Also, a little bit of what you fancy does you good; moderate sugar is better than scrambling for "healthy sugar alternatives".

Xylitol is pretty good, though. It's about as natural as cane or beet sugar, and tastes pretty good, if a little bit "cool" (like mint or aniseed). It has half the calorie content of sugar sugar. It's lovely in coffee, but I think it's the coolness, not the sweetness, I like.

My experience of stevia was not a pleasant one. I'd give it a second chance, but only if someone else made something using it. I wouldn't buy it myself.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:23 am 

Hm. Sounds like Stevia isn't brilliant then! By the way, Gulliver, I agree with the eating healthily and syrup concept. Also I think there is probably no truly healthy sugar alternative, but I've just been trying to cut down on sugar a bit since it's in almost everything. Maybe the baking blend is a good idea. I wonder if it would be possible to DIY it with Truvia and sugar?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:49 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Xylitol gives me a really sore stomach and I've heard other people say the same, so watch out for that if you decide to try some. I also think it has a slightly "cool" taste, as Gulliver mentioned.

I don't mind stevia and I did bake a few things with some truvia a while back. It's only ever so slightly bitter to my tastebuds but my husband really didn't like it. I think some people are more sensitive to the aftertaste than others. I'd like to try the flavoured liquid drops but they don't seem to be available in the UK right now.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:31 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I've used the stevia/sugar mix by Tate and Lyle when making tea for people who like sugar. They never say anything is off and drink it all. I've also ordered off of Amazon, stevia flavoured liquids like root beer and cola, then put that in sparkling water. They also make chocolate and a orange or lemon, those are good for smoothies. They seem expensive but they last forever! Haven't tried baking with it but have seen the baking kind in Waitrose.

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ]