| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: If I go to one place in the UK/Ireland...
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:18 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

... which one should it be?

I am hoping to go to Europe for the first time in October, and I'm trying to figure out an itinerary. It is working out that I'll get to pick one spot in the UK/Ireland. The obvious choice seems to be London, which would be cool, I'm sure, but I'm wondering where else I should consider. It would have to be a place that I can fly into and out of without a zillion connecting flights, but otherwise, I'm open to suggestions! My main focus would be walking around and just looking at things.

Any thoughts?

Thank you!

Post subject: Re: If I go to one place in the UK/Ireland...
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:28 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

London has loads of great free museums and art galleries, but it's not really a brilliant city for walking around. Edinburgh comes top for me for city walking and sightseeing, but has far less museumy/cultural stuff in comparison. Glasgow is good too for tourism stuff. I guess the biggest advantage of choosing London is that it's super easy to travel anywhere else in the UK by train from there.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:30 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I really enjoyed visiting Manchester earlier this year, it seemed like there was a lot to do. How long would you be visiting for?

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:50 am 
Flounceiad 2011

York is lovely - filled with history and architecture, and within easy striking distance of some good walking/hiking. If you're less invested in being in a city, you might head for the Lake District, which is gorgeous, and will be nice in October.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:11 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Dublin is great, but not super veg friendly. The city center is really easy to get around in and there is a lot of art/music/history there. Plus, the Irish are some of the friendliest and nicest people you will ever, ever meet.

When we go back to the UK and Ireland I really want to go to Edinburgh!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:20 am 
Flounceiad 2011

Nicole wrote:
Dublin is great, but not super veg friendly. The city center is really easy to get around in and there is a lot of art/music/history there. Plus, the Irish are some of the friendliest and nicest people you will ever, ever meet.
Dublin is gorgeous, especially if you're interested in literary history, architecture, etc. (Joyce fans should download my friend's Digital Dubliners app before going: http://digitaldubliners.com/) There are some beautiful drives to be had up the coast, but as Nicole says, it's not a vegan paradise; we actually found it pretty hard finding things to eat beyond chips, bread, beer, and the occasional hummus - there was one cafe right near the canal that did a vegan full Irish breakfast, which was a godsend. We actually did much better in Iceland than Ireland, which I found surprising because we eat so well in England. But there are more important things than food and you can definitely get by, especially if it's just a short stay!

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:44 am 
Thinks chickens are assholes

Dublin has a couple of vegan friendly restaurants, if you know where to look, it's expensive though.

I found Glasgow great last year, history, architecture, art and lots of vegan eating options, well priced for the quality. You can hop on a train to Edinburgh or vice versa, so both can be done if you have a few days.

I'm not a fan of London, but you'd also have the option of getting a train to Brighton, which is gorgeous, tiny little shops in an area called 'The Lanes' and very vegan friendly.

Belfast is vegan friendly, if you know where to look, reasonably priced, interesting on a small scale and you can get a city bus tour or a coach trip to the Giant's causeway. It's an hour to two on the train from Dublin, so both are dooable for a day trip either way.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:02 am 
Discovered unobtainium

If you to Dublin, you can go to Wicklow, which is the most amazing, beautiful place on Earth. You can also do the obligatory tourist stop at Johnny Fox at the top of the mountain.

Powerscourt estate has an amazing waterfall and there are gorgeous hiking areas around Glendalough. You could probably rent bikes somewhere.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:51 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Thanks, guys! I'm currently leaning toward either London or Glasgow. It will probably come down to where I find a better flight and airbnb.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:46 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

I'd pick London but I'm way biased as I live in Brighton which is only an hour away. I still haven't been to Glasgow but I want to and you'd get to check out Edinburgh too which would be cool. I think either will be great though.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:29 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Are you going by yourself or will your partner be with you? If the former*, I can offer you a sofa-bed in Edinburgh for the cost of maybe some soy curls or differently flavoured Oreos. You can use my place as a jumping off point for Glasgow - it's about an hour away by train.

*It might be a bit of a squeeze with two people, but you're both welcome if you don't mind.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:27 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I think it depends on how much you prioritise food and what you want to see. London has a lot of vegan options centrally located and within easy distance of each other. I disagree with London not being a walking city. It's full of wonderful parks and river walks, and the central area is compact enough to walk to most things. There are also loads of often overlooked canals to wander, with access to lots of cool areas in the city outside the obvious hotspots. I spend most weekends in London doing new longish (2-5 miles) walks with my partner and we regularly discover new gems, like cat boats and pubs four feet from the water. And parks where people can run with full cans of beer and not spill them (I want to know if they offer lessons).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:49 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Thanks, guys! I definitely want to eat good stuff, but the trip is more to see things than eat things. That said, when I've traveled in the past, my favorite thing has always been just to wander around on foot or on public transportation and try to experience the city a bit more organically, rather than making an itinerary and booking tours and stuff. I would probably also try to get my hands on a bike in either location, since that would allow me a bit more mobility and flexibility.

Rachel, I'm traveling solo, and thank you so much for the offer! I'll let you know if it looks like Edinburgh is on the table. :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:21 pm 
Chard Martyr

fezza wrote:
I found Glasgow great last year, history, architecture, art and lots of vegan eating options, well priced for the quality. You can hop on a train to Edinburgh or vice versa, so both can be done if you have a few days.
This! Glasgow is easy to get around by foot or bus or bike, is very vegan-friendly, and the museums are free, the architecture and history are awesome. Edinburgh is also beautiful and only a short and inexpensive train ride away.

London and Dublin are easily accessible by plane from Glasgow, too. I haven't spent time in London yet (next week, for a few days!) but if I were travelling back alone, I'd fly to Glasgow via Dublin (so much easier for customs and stuff than Heathrow), spend some time in Glasgow, then take a train or something to London (I would say fly, because it's a short trip, but if you have an international-size suitcase, they'll charge you a ton to take it on a within-the-UK flight) then spend some time in London! I would guess that London is awesome to wander around as well.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:44 am 
Not NOT A Furry

If you've said how long you're staying I've missed it but I think it would help us advise if we knew that. I am biased towards London as there is so much to see and do (and eat), transport on buses and tubes is easy and daily or weekly travelcards are good value. Brighton is very easy to get to for a day trip to get a different, city by the sea vibe (and other good eating).

In London you have the bike hire scheme if your use will be sporadic.
http://www.visitlondon.com/traveller-in ... ire-scheme
Glasgow seems to have one too.
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/scot ... tal-scheme

If hiring a bike through other means I'd consider your liability if it gets stolen as that could definitely happen.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:38 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Dublin also has the public bicycles! My boss lives in the city center and uses them frequently.