| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Brighton
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:37 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

jojo wrote:
Feel free to shoot more questions my way & lemme know if you need an eating buddy!

That would be awesome! Originally I was going to visit friends in Brighton after a friend's 50th in Southampton but they're away on holidays and I only found out after booking the train tickets, so I'm going to have a bit of free time to spare! Are you about Tuesday anytime or Wednesday daytime?

"Your mother was a superstitious hamster, and your father smelled of elderberry (right before he died of an untreated infection). Now go away, before we taunt you with your credulous magical thinking a second time!" - Desdemona

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 8:37 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

I can be about Tuesday or Wednesday daytime! Drop me a PM or an e-mail & we'll make a plan!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:48 pm 

WaiKikaMooKau have added vegan cheese (VioLife) to their menu. It's not on the printed menu yet (it's super new) but just ask. I'm excited about getting myself a cheeseburger!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:59 am 
Ninja Master

jojo wrote:
WaiKikaMooKau have added vegan cheese (VioLife) to their menu. It's not on the printed menu yet (it's super new) but just ask. I'm excited about getting myself a cheeseburger!

YAY awesome news. I <3 WKMK

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:59 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Are there any places in Brighton that sell soy curls? A friend of mine is heading that way at the weekend and I just wanted to check if I could send him on a mission for impossible-to-find vegan food that we can't get in Wales.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:14 am 

Rosie wrote:
Are there any places in Brighton that sell soy curls?

Nope!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:05 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

jojo wrote:
Rosie wrote:
Are there any places in Brighton that sell soy curls?

Nope!

yeah, as far as i know you can only get them from the US.

So today at PPK I learned how to fork up a falafel and a taco. - craiger_ny

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:39 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Ah, I thought it might be the case but it was worth a try. I miss them so much :(

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:48 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

We were planning on going down for Vegfest but it turns out that weekend isn't good for us, so we are now going the weekend after (easter) Sunday-wednesday.

From what I've been reading, parking in Brighton is ridiculously expensive yes? All the NCPs seem to cost a lot! Hopefully we can park at the hotel and walk...

Is everything likely to be shut on the bank holidays (Sunday and Monday)?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:07 am 
Ninja Master

A lot of hotels don't have parking either I'm afraid (or it's an NCP or ridiculously tiny) so it's probably best to budget for parking too.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:53 am 

Everything won't be shut over Easter weekend but Infinity Foods will be closed on Sunday & will have reduced hours on the Monday. I think most restaurants & cafe's will be open both days but it's probably worth making a reservation if you wanted to go to Terre à Terre or Food for Friends. Also driving into Brighton on Easter Sunday will take a good hour longer than Google maps suggests and you'll want to get there as early as possible to get a spot on a car park. NCP wise they're all stupidly expensive but I think the London Road one was cheapest last time I checked. If you want to try to park on the street you'll need to go out to the Hannover area. Oh and definitely call your hotel to ask where they'd suggest you park.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:04 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

On the upside, if you're there over Easter weekend, you'll see all the Mods bikes on the seafront.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:17 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Wow thanks jojo! We are staying at the travelodge near the train station and they've told us they have parking but it's limited so, who knows. We are definitely budgeting enough to spend extra on that.

Ruby Rose - that sounds cool even though I'm not quite sure what it is. Is there an event happening?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:15 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

You could always drop off your stuff at the hotel then drive back and park on the unrestricted streets around Preston Park or Hanover area - just walk back (you could take in Al Campo, Hisbe, The Level, Loving Hut on your way on foot) or get the bus or train - or actually if there's two of you the cab fare might work out similar to the bus/train fare x2.

A lot of central Brighton closes at 5.30pm but wander across Old Steine/Palace Pier to St James Street in Kemptown and you'll find the cafes (and some shops) are open later.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:11 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

If you're not using the car over the weekend and want to save on parking, consider parking it in Portslade and get the train in! Only takes a couple of minutes, 2.50 single or so. We live in Portslade, so know the area isn't bad!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:03 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Morelli Zorelli now have a range of vegan mock meats as well as vegan cheese. Our group had pepperoni, choritzo and chicken. They are working on a vegan menu but in the meantime ask and they'll tell you what they have, they're very accommodating. They even knocked us up some garlic bread which they hadn't done vegan style before!

There are only a few tables (we rang ahead as there were 4 of us) and although they have vegan beer (Peroni & Birra Moretti) there isn't any vegan wine at the moment. I'm sure if there is demand they will look into this, apparently we were the first people who had asked about wine. They also had Fentimans soft drinks.

http://www.morellizorelli.co.uk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:52 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

We are back from Brighton, I have to say they're were a couple places that stood out as great and a couple that weren't so great.

We first tried to go to the Almond Tree on Monday morning as it was relatively close to the hotel, and they had made a post on facebook saying they were opening at 8 that day. We got their at 9 and it was shut up tight. We tried again Wednesday morning when it was open, but we got put off because the lady running the place kept coughing on the cake places and moaning about her "big cold" - didn't fancy breakfast there after that.

We had breakfast both days at Wai Kika Moo Kau instead and it was great! The service was excellent as was the food so I was really pleased with that.

We found everywhere super busy at lunchtime so decided to get a takeout panini from Infinity foods cafe, but it didn't work out so well. My husbands was great but after they had had my panini in the machine a while, one of them told the other that the machine mine wasn't in was not actually working. Soooo they just gave me a squished cold sandwich. I wouldn't have minded if they'd actually mentioned it and apologised but they acted like we wouldn't know the difference.

The other good experience we had was with Morelli Zorelli, we got pizza delivered to the hotel and mine had vegan pepperoni and chorizo on and was delicious! And it got delivered very quickly, I'm not sure how the pizza guy managed it, but I'm sad now we have nothing like that here!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:18 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I've never been impressed with the Infinity Cafe, such a shame given the parent company!