| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Boston Tea Party
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:29 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Has anyone eaten at one of these? I was rushing but I noticed one in Birmingham today and I noticed at least a couple of things on the menu that said 'I can be vegan' next to them. One was a full breakfast and there was definitely a burger. I'd never heard of them before.

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: Boston Tea Party
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:38 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Really? There's one here too, but I've never given it a second glance because I assumed it wouldn't have anything. Would be great to know if anyone's tried it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:54 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I ate at the one in Bath and there was a vegan burger & sides. It was a bit on the stodge side, but really rather good.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:15 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

BTP in theory is amazing. They do have vegan options and they're on the whole not bad. They do a vegan cooked breakfast which has always been good in my experience. I really enjoyed their vegan burger, full of veggies and seeds and very fresh and yummy, with sweet potato fries, which are my favourite. They always have a few vegan cakes and do vegan sandwiches.

On the down side, things can be very expensive in there. The sandwiches are seriously overpriced for what you get IMO. I've asked for iced coffee with soya milk before and then watched them put dairy ice cream in it. Trying to get them to make it without was a battle, so I generally go somewhere else for iced coffee.

I work right by the one in Bath and to be honest I find it really useful, but I wish since they advertised as vegan friendly, they would commit to it 100% as half the time they can seem a bit oblivious.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:45 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

i stopped at the BTP on Cheltenham Road in Bristol yesterday and ordered an iced coffee. i was expecting regular cold coffee poured over ice, but what i got was some sort of ersatz frappuccino. does "iced coffee" in this country refer to a beverage made in a blender, or is this a BTP quirk?

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:50 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

To be honest, I don't think we really have any clue what iced coffee (or indeed, iced tea) are in this country - it's definitely outside the comfort zone of the vast majority. I think you got a version of what they think Starbucks serve...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:41 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

you'd think i'd know this stuff by now, but i don't go for coffee very often, and when i do it's almost always hot. i checked Costa, Caffe Nero, and Starbucks' UK websites, and they all have iced coffees that are just coffee or espresso blends poured over ice. so i guess it's just BTP being weird.

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:59 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Yeah, iced tea comes from a can and iced coffee is either espresso with ice or coffee essence with ice. It's not a native food group.

My ice coffees are one taught by my mother (based on Camp Coffee) and one taught by a New Yorker which involves cold-brewed coffee. I have no preference for one nor t'other.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:17 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

The cafe I used to work in in Brighton when I was a teenager used to offer iced coffee = left over filter coffee from the day before with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream in it. Not appealing.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:25 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

i think it sounds pretty nice, like affogato, but yeah. not iced coffee.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:02 am 
So Totally Yiffy

I used to visit the Worcester store until a few months ago when I asked for a soy latte. As the chap who was making it was busy chatting to his female friend behind the counter he got distracted and was absentmindedly picking at his nostril and then rubbing the thumb and finger he had used for said nostril task around the rim of the milk jug. Bleurgh. I asked for a full refund and did not take the drink despite being offered another instead. Not been in since.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:21 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

missbear wrote:
I used to visit the Worcester store until a few months ago when I asked for a soy latte. As the chap who was making it was busy chatting to his female friend behind the counter he got distracted and was absentmindedly picking at his nostril and then rubbing the thumb and finger he had used for said nostril task around the rim of the milk jug. Bleurgh. I asked for a full refund and did not take the drink despite being offered another instead. Not been in since.
Admittedly, it's probably not standard policy to make snot lattes.

My biggest thing, having done some food safety training, is waiting staff touching their hair or biting their nails and not washing their hands. YOU DO NOT TOUCH YOUR HAIR OR BITE YOUR NAILS IF YOU ARE FRONT OF HOUSE.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:33 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

EmperorTomatoKetchup wrote:
i stopped at the BTP on Cheltenham Road in Bristol yesterday and ordered an iced coffee. i was expecting regular cold coffee poured over ice, but what i got was some sort of ersatz frappuccino. does "iced coffee" in this country refer to a beverage made in a blender, or is this a BTP quirk?

Be careful with the iced coffee, they normally put ice cream in it. I ordered one with Soya Milk and was gobsmacked to watch them chuck a load of dairy ice cream in when they made it!

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]