| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lake District (Ambleside and Kendal)
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:35 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

After starting a thread in this forum about going on holiday to Yorkshire, I've just come back from a few days in the Lake District instead - we couldn't make up our minds whether to go to Whitby or Scarborough so instead we went to just outside Ambleside and then on to Kendal. Starting a thread in case anyone else is thinking of heading that way, as I couldn't find one in the search.

Near Ambleside we stayed at Yewfield vegetarian B&B for their mid-week break. The place was really beautiful, the gardens were amazing, but it didn't start that well as had trouble finding the place and when we got there we couldn't find anyone to check in with for about 10 minutes.

They do seem to really focus on vegetarians rather than vegans (biscuits in the room had milk in, mini dairy milk pots by the drinks, and I forgot to check before ordering what fat the breakfast mushrooms were cooked in, when they came I was pretty sure it was butter. When I asked the waitress she sort of fudged an answer, so I had to shovel them onto my partner's plate), and because the mid-week break includes dinner 2 evenings at the restaurants they run in Ambleside we were really tied to going to those, especially since they seemed to be the only veg*n option available - the other place listed on Happy Cow was only open Thursday-Sunday. The food at the two restaurants was nice tasting but the vegan options, apart from the stuffed onion at Zeffirellis (which was full of nut roast), were kind of light on the protein - I did barter at Fellinis to get an extra mushroom since they were going to veganise my option by just leaving off the cheese and weren't planning on replacing it with anything, so at least they're open to negotiation!

The good thing about the restaurants is that they're attached to cinemas, and you can get a deal which is either 3 courses, or 2 courses and a film, so that's what we did the second night. It was pretty fun, especially as you can take a glass of wine into the cinema with you, and they did have a selection of wines marked as vegan (no beer labelled though).

After Ambleside we went to Fox Hall vegan B&B just outside Kendal. The lady who took our booking was incredibly accommodating and friendly. They do an optional 3 course evening meal, but most of the options are hot, and it's been so boiling this week that it's taken my appetite away, pretty much. We had a mostly hot meal the first night and I wasn't really hungry after the first course, but for the second night Sylvia our hostess very kindly altered the nut roast main course option so we could have salad with it, and it a really delicious meal. Plus she made me a birthday cake, iced with a birthday greeting, which was a lovely surprise and really very nice indeed!

Kendal seems to have quite a few vegan options. For one, there's all the Kendal Mint Cake in its myriad forms. There's a Quaker tapestry exhibition that we didn't go into because it was about seven quid, and I'm not that interested in tapestry, but they have a vegetarian tea rooms attached which had a few different vegan options, including 2 flavours of Swedish Glace for the same price as their scoops of ice cream. There was also a place by the river, the Waterside Wholefood Cafe which we went to around 11am but when we tried to look at the cakes and stuff in the chiller we got the distinct impression we were getting in people's way and weren't really welcome to browse so we just got a drink. Then we got the hairy eyeball from some other customers who wanted our table because we had one with an umbrella, so not a relaxing experience!

The other place we ate was Keswick, at the Lakeland Pedlar. I had the small (actually, it was quite a decent portion) size plate of nachos with chilli and when I asked what they'd put on instead of cheese and sour cream they offered hummus. It was pretty tasty. The place also had free WiFi which was handy.

I know people can just look at Happy Cow for all of these places, so maybe consider this a "what I did on my holidays" post as well!

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

Post subject: Re: Lake District (Ambleside and Kendal)
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:59 pm 
Impressive boner

I never get to these places when I visit my parents as they don't venture too far these days. I believe that Ulverston also has a couple of vegan friendly places if you've ever over that way.

Post subject: Re: Lake District (Ambleside and Kendal)
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:34 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Ohhh, brilliant timing! I'm off up to the Lakes for a few days in August, it'd be lovely to have some places my whole family can go.