| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Discontinued products (UK only)
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 7:03 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I've just had fun reading back through the thread in the Kitchen, and it's mostly US stuff. Some of the much older posts had UK people moaning about missing items which have since reappeared, so I thought it might be fun to have our own thread.

I still miss those frozen Realeat sausages that were the best hangover cure ever - even though I don't have hangovers anymore.

Post subject: Re: Discontinued products (UK only)
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 9:08 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I miss that fake parmesan you got in the little shaker tub thing... I can't remember what it was called. I don't know if they've actually been discontinued, but I can never find those Sweet William white chocolate buttons anymore. I know there's more stuff, but those are all I can think of right now...

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 9:21 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Disappearing Ink wrote:
I miss that fake parmesan you got in the little shaker tub thing... I can't remember what it was called. I don't know if they've actually been discontinued, but I can never find those Sweet William white chocolate buttons anymore. I know there's more stuff, but those are all I can think of right now...

I loved that parmesan tub too. I know there are more sophisticated parmesans around now, but that was like the horrid toenail tubbed dairy parmesan of my student days.

There's a couple of Redwood/Vbites things that I was really upset to see go, but I can't think of them now so I can't miss them too much.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 9:28 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Disappearing Ink wrote:

I can't find the white chocolate buttons either! Even the Tesco ones that replaced them I can't find.

I wish they did the Choices white chocolate (like in the bunnies/santas) all year round, as that is lovely and affordable.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 4:11 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

This is the closest to the fake Parmesan I've found - http://www.veganstore.co.uk/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=1&Product_Code=033#.VzOfRHA8wfo

It's basically dried cheese sauce but it reminds me of the shiitake fake Parmesan we used to have on spag bol many years ago.

Time to burn down the house and call it a loss. Because all the nope in the world - kfad
I'd rather eat ramen and drink tap water than live with other people - lavawitch

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 9:07 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

I miss that parmesan shaker too! I also miss the VBites tuna mayo that came in the tub, the tuna in a tube is good but I have to mix in my own mayo?! Whut?!

Off topic but kinda in the same ballpark as the tuna, apparently the UK now has vegan taramasalata!! I need to find it as soon as my feet hit British soil again.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 2:55 am 

Oooh... I did not know about the taramasalata... I've never even had the original stuff as I went veggie when I was six or seven... but I'm always up for weird pink vegan fish dip (who isn't?!)!

Also... I just remembered those Pralinoir chocolate hazelnut bars they used to sell in Waitrose. They were amazing, but then they disappeared like four years ago or something. Dark days.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 3:07 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

This! I miss it too :/

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 1:22 pm 
Tofu Pup

Not food based but I still miss Barry M lash modelling mascara. It was so perfect for me and nothing is as good for as cheap

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:01 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Efcliz wrote:
I've just had fun reading back through the thread in the Kitchen, and it's mostly US stuff. Some of the much older posts had UK people moaning about missing items which have since reappeared, so I thought it might be fun to have our own thread.

I still miss those frozen Realeat sausages that were the best hangover cure ever - even though I don't have hangovers anymore.

Were they veggiebangers? They were beautiful. They came in like a white plastic sack.

New (pink) LM sausages aren't as good as the old (brown) ones, in my opinion.

I had forgotten about that fake parmesan! That was really good. There was also a really good vegan cream in a blue and white carton that I haven't seen for a few years. I vaguely recall it being removed because it was basically trans fats in an emulsion with sugary water and that was bad. I might be wrong, though.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:50 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Gulliver wrote:

Thank you! I am not alone in my disappointment at the new recipe.

Time to burn down the house and call it a loss. Because all the nope in the world - kfad
I'd rather eat ramen and drink tap water than live with other people - lavawitch

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 1:43 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Rosie wrote:
Gulliver wrote:

Thank you! I am not alone in my disappointment at the new recipe.

Ah, I saw they'd reformulated those and was hopeful that I might like them more than the old ones. I'd got so fed up with LM sausages that I could barely stomach them and they don't fit any of my sausagey cravings. (Mostly because of the sort of crunchy crust- in my head I imagine slightly juicy filling inside a skin, but haven't found any like that yet.) It sounds like the new ones might not be any better. I'll still try them, though.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 1:56 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

There seems to be an outcry about the new LM sausages but I honestly haven't noticed any difference! I miss the Sainsbury's ones but I saw somewhere recently
that Morrisons do a vegan one and it looked a bit like the old Sainsbury's ones so I'm going to try and find them. I really like Dee's sausages - I stocked up in Booths
last time they were reduced.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 2:20 am 

I have noticed that they're a bit drier/less juicy. I don't mind them, especially if you're careful not to overcook them. I think they dry out less in the oven compared to under the grill. But, I prefer the old recipe.

I also just remembered about Vive Soy that seemed to disappear a year or two ago. It was the only soy milk that never curdled in coffee and it tasted really good in tea and on cereal.... not too beany.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 3:49 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Yes that Vive Soy - it was the one with all the different flavours? Almost got my mum to give up dairy milk in her coffee with the vanilla one, but then they all vanished.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 4:08 am 
Tofu Pup

Was vive soy the one with the coffee flavour? I really liked that. The almond breeze coffee drinks don't have that same gloopiness to them.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 5:12 am 

Yeah... that's it... they had coffee, vanilla, chocolate, regular and unsweetened, I think.

I also had mum-related luck with it... it was the first non-dairy milk she found acceptable in tea. Now she's got more used to soy milk, I think, and is on the verge of going vegan.

I remember there being talk of it coming back at some point (they still sell it in mainland Europe, I think), but it never materialised.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 5:24 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

GreenDuck wrote:
in my head I imagine slightly juicy filling inside a skin, but haven't found any like that yet.)

Dee's are probably more up your street then. They're pretty expensive, I tend to get them when Holland & B do a penny sale. They're the only ones I can think of with a proper 'skin'.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 8:43 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Ah, great, I think I actually saw those last time I was in the Holland and Barret that has a fridge and freezer section, but couldn't get them for some reason. I'll have to go back (and hope for penny sales to come round again).

I tried the tomato and basil Tofurkey sausages yesterday- they were definitely better than Linda Mac ones, though I chopped them up to cook, so will have to try them again as whole sausages to take a bite out of. The whole Tofurkey range seems to have strong flavours, so might be a bit odd as bangers 'n' mash, but they do at least have cute sanctuary animals on the packaging!

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 9:23 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Not discontinued but Jammie Dodgers berry blast now have milk in as well.

Facebook

http://thechroniclesofbanania.blogspot.co.uk/

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 12:55 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Cheezly with bacon!

Mat.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 12:57 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

matwinser wrote:
Cheezly with bacon!

Mat.

That was the best product Redwoods (They'll always be Redwoods to me) made. I made a formal complaint when they discontinued it

Facebook

http://thechroniclesofbanania.blogspot.co.uk/

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 3:07 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Star wrote:
matwinser wrote:
Cheezly with bacon!

Mat.

That was the best product Redwoods (They'll always be Redwoods to me) made. I made a formal complaint when they discontinued it
When Vitalite changed the shape of the tubs I sent them a drunk email saying the new tubs didn't tesselate as nicely in the fridge. They sent me a voucher. So... Discontinued shapes?

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 12:44 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I seem to be the only person who doesn't like Dee's sausages! I really wanted to like them, but I thought they were just okay, but I much prefer Linda McCartney ones. Also when I lived in Spain, Vive-Soy was a pretty common brand of soya milk but I wasn't mad on it so I didn't buy it much. Different strokes for different folks, I guess!

"omit bacon and gelatin, substitute wheatgrass and bitter tears"- Erika

"ETA: Raisin v. Potato: Whoever wins, we all lose." - Erika

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 12:46 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Blueberry wrote:
I seem to be the only person who doesn't like Dee's sausages! I really wanted to like them, but I thought they were just okay, but I much prefer Linda McCartney ones.

Me too! I tried Dee's sausages and burgers but they don't really appeal to me =/
But then again I didn't eat sausages much when I was omni so maybe there's that lol