| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vegusto?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:51 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Has any one tried Vegusto? I bought a couple of things from them, and I'm undecided: their frankfurters are great, but I'm not sure about the faux meat slices and cheeses.

Post subject: Re: Vegusto?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:48 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

which cheese(s) did you try? i think the herby one is pretty great.

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:23 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I'm a fan of the cheeses (the stronger the better), but I think they're overpriced. I'd rather pay £2.20 for something that's quite nice than £5 for something that's very nice. The cheese and mushroom burgers tasted a bit like snot and had a disconcerting texture, so I don't think I'll buy them again.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:40 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I love the farmhouse sausages, but I rarely buy them because my husband won't eat them (I think he thought they were too realistic). I really liked the one cheese I accidentally ate before I realised I'm (potentially) allergic to one of the ingredients, though I can't remember which one it was. I kinda want to try it again, but I don't want to end up in A&E.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:33 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

EmperorTomatoKetchup wrote:
which cheese(s) did you try? i think the herby one is pretty great.

I got the Melty cheese, Piquant, and Mild Aromatic. Melty cheese is pretty good, although it doesn't so much melt as sink down into gooey lumps!

I'm glad you brought up the price Gulliver! I thought I was just being cheap, but when I can get Redwoods/V-Bites for less money and a similar taste, Vegusto doesn't seem worth the cost.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:50 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I think the Piquant is so like Parmesan. Even my Parm loving vegetarian friends love it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:18 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I love it but the price/limited availability puts me off too argh! Golden, piquant and the one with walnuts in are my favourites but I find them all pretty delicious. I really want to try some of their meat substitutes too!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:25 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Where are you finding this in London? Whole Foods?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:31 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

vegimator wrote:

they're at a bunch of health food stores across the UK, i think. at least one of the shops in Bristol carries it.

Hazel wrote:
Melty cheese is pretty good, although it doesn't so much melt as sink down into gooey lumps!

i haven't tried cooking with it, but i found it very nice spread on crackers!

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:10 am 

vegimator wrote:
I found it in a little independent HFS and that was actually the first time I'd seen it in England. Try little indie shops?

Hazel wrote:
Melty cheese is pretty good, although it doesn't so much melt as sink down into gooey lumps!
I'm not a fan of it hot. It's a very good sandwich cheese, though.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:57 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Love the aromatic & piquant cheeses, couldn't eat on their own but great in sandwiches or chopped up tiny in sauces. Haven't found any other brand that comes close. It is expensive but only need v thin slices esp of piquant and seems to last pretty well. Tried a slicing sausage too which was OK but haven't bothered buying again, also found texture of burgers bit weird.

It's in Whole Foods but they do mail order and often have good offers & trial packs - have a look on their website. They've been at last two Vegfests with lots of sampling so if you're at Vegfest London next week should be able try before you buy. Looking forward to a junk food blow out again next weekend!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:51 am 
Not NOT A Furry

My favourite thing from Vegusto is the paprika schnitzel, it's amazing.

I also like the sausages a lot, especially the onion one, but my o/h is not a fan. My only complaint it that they are curved which makes frying them evenly difficult. They can be done in the oven though, I usually only fry them when I'm making a cooked breakfast for overnight guests and want them done quickly.

And I really like the walnut cheese, it's so good when eaten at room temperature. It's a bit pricey but I think it is so much better than the other brands (which I would never eat on their own).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:56 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

This confirms what I already thought - I have a very unsophisticated palate! The magnificence of the cheeses are lost on me, which is sad-making :(

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:56 am 
Ninja Master

When I first tried it I thought it was RANK! And it forking stinks.

But it's grown on me now. Plus I like that you have to use much less of it than you do of cheezly for example as it's more strongly flavoured.

I've even got used to the stinky feet cheese smell. Me and my brother made up a song about it when we were putting it on pizza and it went along the lines of "stinky feet cheese, stinky feet cheese yeah. Stinky feet cheese, pizza fork yeah!". I know, we're a pair of tossers. But, my (omni) brother enjoyed his stinky feet vegan cheese pizza.

So there's hope yet, that it may grow on you!

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:58 pm 

Gulliver wrote:
I'm a fan of the cheeses (the stronger the better), but I think they're overpriced. I'd rather pay £2.20 for something that's quite nice than £5 for something that's very nice. The cheese and mushroom burgers tasted a bit like snot and had a disconcerting texture, so I don't think I'll buy them again.

How did you prepare the burgers? I won some during mofo, and I really wish I hadn't done a search on here and seen that description! Wondering if you can think of a way to prepare them that wouldn't be as bad, or if anyone has a more positive review?

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:50 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

dropscone wrote:
Gulliver wrote:

How did you prepare the burgers? I won some during mofo, and I really wish I hadn't done a search on here and seen that description! Wondering if you can think of a way to prepare them that wouldn't be as bad, or if anyone has a more positive review?

Heh, that's unfortunate timing! For what it's worth, I thought the burgers were fine and mushroomy, and would probably work well in a bun. I popped them in the oven for about 5-10 minutes, but I suspect grilling them would also give them a better texture :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:32 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I tried it yesterday at London Vegfest. I really liked it! Especially the piquant and herb varieties. The texture is a tiny bit gritty but it was right next to the sheese booth and it blew them out of the water.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:18 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

dang, you were there too? i wish i'd known!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:37 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I didn't know I was going until the day before. Ah well.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:40 am 
Not NOT A Furry

dropscone wrote:

I quite like them. I think I fried one and ovened one (at the same time so I could compare them) but sadly I can't recall which I preferred.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:58 am 
Chip Strong

I tried a bunch of their cheeses at VegFest this weekend - I really liked the walnut one myself! We tend to only get their mild plain cheese in Edinburgh so it was great to see the fantastic range they have.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:10 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I'm a big fan of the Piquant and Melty - I find both are great with crackers or mixed into macaroni cheese. I have a block of the walnut istting in my fridge right now and, although it's good, it's not my favourite.

To be honest, although Vegusto is lovely, I can't really tell it apart from the Cheezly range.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:59 am 

rentaghost wrote:
dropscone wrote:

I quite like them. I think I fried one and ovened one (at the same time so I could compare them) but sadly I can't recall which I preferred.

Well, maybe I will recreate that test!

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:53 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I pretty much love everything they make, I just wish it wasn't so expensive. Now I've discovered that the smoked cheeze they sell in Tesco is actually lovely, I cannot justify spending £5 on the Vegusto ones. I'll keep buying some stuff as an occasional treat though. The sausages are so, so good.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:21 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Update on the mushroom burgers: I grilled the hell out of them and slapped them in a bun to eat, and I'm pleased to report that any lingering traces of snottiness and/or slimeitude were eliminated :)