| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lemon Law in the UK?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:06 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I don't know if anyone will know anything about this, and Google isn't particularly helpful. I found something about debates in Parliament, but I couldn't find anything saying a law had been passed.

The US has what's known as the Lemon Law that protects consumers specifically when purchasing new automobiles. I think the tl;dr of it is that the seller has to refund or replace if the car/motorcycle/etc has to have the same repair made 3 times.

We're in the middle of trying to get out of a contract with our printer supplier because the thing keeps breaking. We've had to have the fuser unit replaced at least 5 times since we got the machine in November 2012. Other problems have also come up - it's currently out of commission, but I don't know what part needs to be replaced this time.

The supplier seems unwilling to work with us, so I'm just trying to figure out if we're protected under the law in any way. Does anyone know anything about this stuff?

Post subject: Re: Lemon Law in the UK?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:56 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

That's pretty crepe that the printer company has treated you this way. I know purchased goods come under consumer protection but I'm not sure about leased ones. Guess we've been lucky in that anytime we've had printer problems the company has been good at fixing them. Is it just the one printer; would a way out to be to ask for a new lease on a different printer?

Chools

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:15 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

We've been trying to convince them to give us a new machine for months. The thing breaks so often that we had to get a spare desktop printer (and we print enough that we went through an ink cartridge in one day). We would've been happy with just getting a new machine (even the same model), but they keep finding reasons not to give it to us. They're the absolute worst.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:51 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

rachell37 wrote:
We're in the middle of trying to get out of a contract with our printer supplier because the thing keeps breaking. We've had to have the fuser unit replaced at least 5 times since we got the machine in November 2012. Other problems have also come up - it's currently out of commission, but I don't know what part needs to be replaced this time.

Just plain old breach of contract?

I would suggest to stop making payments for the contract and start negotiations from there.

On the other hand, if you go through a cartridge of ink in a day, that says to me that either the cartridges are very small, or you print way too much for the capacity of the printer.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:57 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

We go through a cartridge a day on the spare desktop printer. The cartridges are very small because the printer is very small and not intended for use by 20+ people. But we had to have something. We're probably gonna insist that they reimburse us for it since we wouldn't have it otherwise.

I think if we were to stop paying, it would be a much more clear-cut case of breach of contract than their inability to provide us with a machine that works for more than a month without a fault.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:23 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Is the company concerned agents or dealers for the printer you're leasing, another route might be to complain in the strongest possible terms direct to the MD of that company by email or phone. I'm pretty sure they won't be happy to hear you're getting such a rough deal and will want the issue resolved

Chools