| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Where to stay in London (and eat)
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:53 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'm going to London at the end of April for a work thing and I'll be stuck out at Heathrow for three days. However, it's at the beginning of my holiday, so I'm planning to head into the city for a few days after the workshop and finally get to experience London! I've never been so I don't know what the cool neighborhoods are. I'm going to be renting through airbnb and I'd love to be able to narrow things down a bit.

I would love to stay somewhere central with lots of art, cute local shops and cafés and bars, and vegan food. So far my only plans are to walk around, visit the Tate, and eat a lot of vegan food. If you know of a borough where that can happen easily, please share! Also...tell me some great places to eat. I need a short list.

Post subject: Re: Where to stay in London (and eat)
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:44 am 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

I think manna is massively underrated. go there! :)

and if you end up in Bethnal Green, I lovelovelove G&T Coffee Shop. such stupidly nice people, they have Bonsoy, and their sammiches are amazing. perfect lunch cafe.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:13 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

For very good value food (and amazing veg*n propaganda plastered on every single free space in the restaurant) you really can't beat the Indian Veg Bhel Poori House near Angel station in north London. It's usually all vegan except for one curry and one sauce dish. Plus, it's only a 10 minute walk from Vx/Vegan Cross.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:03 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

i've only eaten at Amico Bio once and in a bit of a rush, but it appealed to me enough to want to go back. and they have two locations now, so twice as convenient?

Mildreds in Soho is probably the restaurant i eat at most when i'm in London. they are often very busy (they don't take reservations & sometimes have a half-hour wait) but serve reasonably priced, good-quality food, with plenty of vegan options. i recommend the sausage & mash dish.

Tibits (just off Regent St) has some good vegan stuff, but can get expensive if you're really hungry, as it's a buffet where you pay by weight.

Ms Cupcake can be fun to visit, if Brixton isn't too far out of the way for you.

if for some reason you find yourself in a veg restaurant desert and need food ASAP, there are some chains that are good for vegans: Pizza Express, Wagamama, Banana Tree, Giraffe, and some Asian-y takeaway places like Itsu and Wasabi.

So today at PPK I learned how to fork up a falafel and a taco. - craiger_ny

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:42 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Thanks, guys! I found out from some people at work that it doesn't matter so much where you stay in London since the tube stops everywhere, so I'm just going to look for a cheap apartment and bounce around. I definitely want a vegan sausage and mash. I also want mushy peas.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:35 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

If you're passing by a Chop'd - http://www.chopd.co.uk they do massive and reasonably priced salads. Vegan toppings-wise there's avo, olives, falafel, nuts, seeds, lentils (maybe more, can't quite remember) and loadsa different veggies. I think some of the set menu options are vegan as well though I've not tried 'em.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:37 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

There's also Cookies & Scream - http://www.cookiesandscream.com/ in Camden which is a vegan bakery - really good blondies!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:55 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

In general I'd say Camden/Kentish Town is the most vegan friendly area - there's various places - Manna, Inspiral, Camden Market various stalls, Cookies & Scream, Cakes n Treats, Blackhat pub, Lovehut, Bumblebee wholefoods, Third Estate....
Soho is good too (The Coach & Horses is great and often has a great selection of cakes for afternoon tea - you have to ask at the bar and then they call you up to the restaurant).
If you want arty/cool, Dalston is the place, but it's not really that central to explore any other areas.
If you fancy a trip from Heathrow in the evenings, 222 is near West Brompton station - the all you can eat lunch deal is incredible but it's nice in the evenings too, just more expensive. And it always seems to be completely full these days so it's best to book.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:26 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I've contacted an airbnb user with a place in Camden town, so hopefully it's available that weekend!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:32 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Also check out fatgayvegan's blog as he seems to organize everything vegan in London - potlucks, drinks, meetups...
And Quarrygirl's been in London for all of about 10 minutes but has discovered more vegan things than I have in 23 years!
Both really useful blogs.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:39 am 
Tofu Pup

It's best to stay in central London if you can. Covent Garden, Leicester Square, Westminster, and Bloomsbury are wise options. I usually stay in Covent Garden area which is very convenient for exploring the best of city on foot. To know what to do, see, and eat in covent garden, you can check out http://www.londontown.com/LondonAreas/C ... den+exact/.

Besides, if you've not booked your accommodation yet, you might consider http://www.booking.com/ to search hotels near covent garden or any other London borough. And it is also worth looking at http://www.londonhotels4u.com/, because quite a few times it gives special packages to its customers.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:09 am 
Tofu Pup

A lot of people stay out in Heathrow on the Bath Road and think its difficult to get into London, and while its not ideal it isnt that difficult. My advice is to get a cheap taxi from where you are staying to West Drayton Station (should be no more than £5) and then you get a direct train into Paddington in 20 mins, and its great as its in Zone 6 so you can get an All Zone Day Travelcard.

From Paddington you can take the tube across London (http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/1106.aspx) and see what you like. Alternatively, if you are interested in tours across London or the UK then this company (http://www.sightseeingtourslondon.co.uk) picks up from the Hilton at Paddington and can take you on tours to Stonehenge and Windsor and returns you back there.

Just dont think because you are out in Heathrow that its difficult to see London, you have to make a bit more effort for sure but you can still see London quite easily with a little planning.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:43 am 
Nooch of Earl

We rented a flat in Kensington when we were there with family, so that is probably not much help to you…

But we found these books SO much help:
http://www.vegetarianguides.co.uk/index.shtml

Have a great trip! I remember really enjoying the Woodlands (S Indian), The Gate, a vegan Thai buffet place near..Piccadilly Circus, I think. Did not get to enjoy nearly as many veg places as I would have liked because omni family.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:13 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

There's also a place behind Warren St station that does incredible brownies, curries and burgers to take out. They don't seem to have a website and think the sign just says 'health food shop'. Near the duke of wales feathers pub.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:18 am 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

annak wrote:
Have a great trip! I remember really enjoying the Woodlands (S Indian),

It's been ages since I visited London and even longer since I lived there, so I think 90% of my recommendations will be outdated, but this one definitely stands the test of time. Woodlands is amazing!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:25 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I'm eagerly glomming on to your thread, pickledtreats! I hope that's ok!

I'm going to be in London for the London Book Fair for work this coming week. Most of my time won't be my own, but I planned to get there a day early (early Monday morning) to have some time to shop. I'm going to be staying near Euston station and doing some serious shopping in and around Oxford Street/Oxford Circus on Monday (wanna hit Pepperberry/Bravissimo and the flagship Marks and Spencer).

Any thoughts on lunch places around Oxford Street and dinner places around Oxford or even near Euston? I'd love to treat myself on my one free day!

(I could probably use recommendations near Euston anyway, since on the days I'm working the fair, I'll probably grab some dinner on the way back to the hotel. I anticipate grabbing a bite here between meetings at the convention center during the week. And was going to swing by VeganCross upon arrival at St. Pancras to pick up some pastries for breakfasts.)

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:54 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I love the Diwana Bhel Poori house which is right around the corner from Euston.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:08 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Vantra or Tibits would be my lunch recommendations around Oxford Street. Vantra's all vegan but very hippie (like ayurvedic foods only). Tibits has good food but some of it has dairy. Both are buffet style. You pay by weight at Tibits and a flat amount at Vantra.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:48 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Thanks, guys! I'll definitely check those out! I was also eyeing the website of Amico Bio that EmperorTomatoKetchup linked to above. Looks like that might be a good post-shopping dinner place not too far from Oxford Circus.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:07 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Mestizo is near-ish Euston (about a 10-minute walk) and has a vegan menu.

If anyone is ever in the Maida Vale area, there's an Ethiopian restaurant called Mosob that has a vegan set menu. It is amazing.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:51 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

rachell37 wrote:
If anyone is ever in the Maida Vale area, there's an Ethiopian restaurant called Mosob that has a vegan set menu. It is amazing.

Sold. I have a tradition of eating Ethiopian food in every new city I visit (sadly none of them have been in Ethiopia...yet). I'll have to make a special trip for this one!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:53 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Looks like that place is Eritrean, but still up my alley.

After I leave the conference out at Heathrow, we're staying in an apartment in Shoreditch. Any recommendations for vegan places near there?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:17 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I had an amazing fry up at the Black Cat vegan cafe in Hackney this weekend, which isn't too far from Shoreditch.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:30 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

it's also not too far from several vegan options near Barbican. and there's a new cat cafe in Shoreditch, if you're into that sort of thing: http://ladydinahs.com/

So today at PPK I learned how to fork up a falafel and a taco. - craiger_ny

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:48 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

CAT CAFES ARE A THING?

is a thing? I'm an English teacher...a very tired, buried-in-marking English teacher. I got excited.