| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Belfast restaurant query
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:53 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

We are off to Ulster next week on a business jaunt ... we will be there in Belfast for about a week.

I googled looking for vegan restaurants ... found this -

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/enter ... 16686.html

and https://www.facebook.com/GirosCafe

any personal suggestions of places to eat when there?

Anne in England ... grateful for any suggestions

Post subject: Re: Belfast restaurant query
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:16 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

hi anne,

prepare to lower your expectations.

there aren't many options i'm afraid. keep an eye on the giro's cafe page to make sure they're open. they're close to the city centre, so it's a convenient option.

alternatives are:

boojum on chichester street and on botanic avenue. their burritos are becoming a belfast institution. so expect queues especially on botanic.

build-a-burger on botanic do a couple of vegan options despite their meatcentric menu.

archana on the dublin road has a good (and clearly marked) vegan menu if you like a curry.

thaitanic on eglantine avenue do some thai vegan-friendly stuff.

black bear cafe on stranmillis road has a couple of salads etc.

5a on lockview road is a little cafe with plenty of traybakes and cakes. they're supplied by liz from check out my buns who also has a stall at the market on friday, saturday and sunday.

st george's market in the city centre is open friday, saturday and sunday. there are quite a few veggie stalls, most with a vegan option or two. liz's stall is the best- lots of cakes and buns. she's also a hoot.

um. that's about it. apart from the usual chains such as pizza express etc. belfast is not exactly coming down with vegan eateries. but you won't starve.

well, you shouldn't.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:16 pm 
Tofu Pup

Hi Anne

I know you're probably back home now so this is a little late for you but for others who stumble on this thread, I'll add a little more.

I've managed to eat in a few other places in Belfast none advertising vegan but have some dishes on menu that once checked by staff have been vegan -

Knife & Fork (Malone Lodge) on Eglantine Avenue, I had lovely breads, olives and gnocchi.

The Raj Indian restaurant on Lisburn road have a great range of curries advertised as diary free and again speaking with staff they can offer a huge range that is vegan.

Cafe Chopin at Cathedral Quarter when taking my booking baked a banana chocolate cake for me coming in, very impressed and if you let them know they will go out of their way to accommodate you.

Salt Bistro also at Cathedral Quarter had starter and main courses that were vegan when checked.

Katmandu Kitchen Botanic Avenue, if you like Indian/Nepalese food. Dahl & curries, and some breads just remind them not to use ghee on the breads to serve.

Most restaurants or cafes will be able to adapt something for you but rarely have I found a dessert (except Chopin).

Definitely won't starve but you will get a few funny looks when you say you're vegan!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:29 pm 
Thinks chickens are assholes

Falafel at the city end of Botanic avenue is great, very vegan friendly and meat eaters have a good choice too, as do gluten free folks.

Just double check the buns in 5A Lockview, not all Liz's stuff is vegan.

If I had read this sooner we could have arranged a coffee!