| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 715 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: Accidentally vegan food you discover and like
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:50 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I'm totally going through a crisp crave the past week and it coincided with me discovering Pringles Paprika. Divine. And even more divine when used to scoop up the black bean and veggie chilli from AFR. Pairing of the year.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:39 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

FYI - If you're looking for the chocolate-chocolate chip hot cross buns at Tesco, the ones from the bakery ARE NOT VEGAN. It's only the pre-packaged (more expensive) ones that are safe. Which is, of course, completely ridiculous.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:32 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

I feel sure I've heard people say (here?) that Co-op custard doughnuts are vegan. I tried to have a look to check last time I was in, but they all had labels covering the ingredients list. Does anyone know? Is this all just a happy dream I had?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:46 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

jennyc wrote:
I feel sure I've heard people say (here?) that Co-op custard doughnuts are vegan. I tried to have a look to check last time I was in, but they all had labels covering the ingredients list. Does anyone know? Is this all just a happy dream I had?

The most recent Co-op vegan list I could find was from January 2012, and included both jam and custard doughnuts as being vegan: http://veganfuture.wordpress.com/2012/0 ... egan-list/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:20 am 

My Co-op has been managing to display ingredients on the packaging recently and as far as I can tell jam and custard doughnuts are still vegan (the chocolate-filled doughnuts and the mini doughnut bites in a plastic tub are NOT vegan).

I suppose it is my duty to buy a bag of each and post photos of the labels for you...
Though if you get a chance, tell the employees not to put labels over the ingredients. That's just silly.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:57 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Thanks for the replies, and GreenDuck for your selfless dedication to proving their vegan status! I'm looking forward to trying them.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:25 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Just verified with Costa - their chai latte is vegan if made with soya! Woot! The way they display the info on the website is super confusing (it shows as vegan with soya but not vegan with no milk at all), but they confirmed it's sfv with soya.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:19 am 
Nailed to the V

Really? That's awesome news. I thought they had honey in, but perhaps that's starbucks...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:40 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Here's the email they just sent me (after several weeks and an answer on their FB page):

Thank you for contacting Costa Customer services regarding your nutritional query on our website.
We can confirm from our nutritional team that the Chai Latte drink made with Soya milk is suitable for vegans. There is a honey taste in this drink but no honey produce.
Thank you for raising these issues to us we will pass on your comments and update the website with the correct additional nutritional information.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:29 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

After 7 years of reading the back of every variety of horseradish going, yesterday I found some horseradish in the Polish section of the World Foods aisle which is vegan! :)

A bit of a come-down after the Chai Latte revelation, I know, but thought I'd share anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:48 pm 
Nailed to the V

rachell37 wrote:
Here's the email they just sent me (after several weeks and an answer on their FB page):

Thank you for contacting Costa Customer services regarding your nutritional query on our website.
We can confirm from our nutritional team that the Chai Latte drink made with Soya milk is suitable for vegans. There is a honey taste in this drink but no honey produce.
Thank you for raising these issues to us we will pass on your comments and update the website with the correct additional nutritional information.

Cool ... I shall have one tomorrow morning instead of my usual espresso ... I will also tell them that I am having it because it has been confirmed vegan by their customer services department.

Anne

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:50 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

I'm not sure that this is the right thread, but it didn't seem to be worth starting a new one to ask: does anyone know if the cocoa powder in Caffe Nero is vegan? On their website it says that soy milk hot chocolate is suitable for vegans, but last time I ordered one the barista warned me that the powder contained milk. I don't know who to believe!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:44 am 

jennyc wrote:

Custard doughnuts ingredients (the Allergy Advice box says 'Contains Gluten, Wheat.'):

Jam doughnuts ingredients:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:05 am 
Nailed to the V

jennyc wrote:
I'm not sure that this is the right thread, but it didn't seem to be worth starting a new one to ask: does anyone know if the cocoa powder in Caffe Nero is vegan? On their website it says that soy milk hot chocolate is suitable for vegans, but last time I ordered one the barista warned me that the powder contained milk. I don't know who to believe!

I'm sure I remember hearing that cafe Nero hot chocolate is ok. It might be that they have chocolate sprinkles they put on top that are unvegan, but it should be ok with those.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:58 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

Thanks for the info on the custard doughnuts and hot chocolate. As it says on the website that the cocoa powder is suitable for vegans, I'm going to assume the barista just made a mistake. I always ask for it without cream or sprinkles anyway, so it should be fine.

Looking forward to trying those doughnuts!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:44 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Not sure if anyone had included this already, but Asda pizza counter do vegan pizzas and garlic bread. The lady I spoke to said they can't say that it's dairy/egg free because all of the bases and toppings are stored together, but all of the bases except the GF one are vegan in that they don't have any unvegan ingredients in them. They will also use new apparatus, gloves, prep board and open a new bag of tomato sauce base if you ask. The person that served me also let me have an extra topping instead of cheese. The tear and share garlic bread is also vegan.

I also had a Chai latte from Costa - so nice to be back on the Chai. It was reaaally good but super sweet.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:46 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I don't think this has been asked before, but apologies if it has.

Kraft thousand Island dressing (the light one) appears to be vegan, from me quickly scanning the ingredients.

http://www.ocado.com/webshop/product/Kr ... g/13982011

Ingredients: Water, Spirit Vinegar, Tomato Purée (11%), Dextrose, Sugar, Modified Starch, Stabilisers (Microcrystalline Cellulose, Sodium Carboxy Methyl Cellulose, Xanthan Gum), Onions, Gherkin (2.2%), Salt, Mustard Seed Flour, Lemon Juice Concentrate, Colour (Titanium Dioxide), Spices, Flavouring

It's got a vegetarian symbol but no vegan one, what do you guys think? Yay or nay?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:12 pm 
Thinks chickens are assholes

Looks vegan enough for me!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:36 am 

Yay! I used to love that dressing before going v*gan but just assumed it would have dairy in it so not bothered checking until recently.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:43 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Rosie wrote:
I don't think this has been asked before, but apologies if it has.

Kraft thousand Island dressing (the light one) appears to be vegan, from me quickly scanning the ingredients.

http://www.ocado.com/webshop/product/Kr ... g/13982011

Ingredients: Water, Spirit Vinegar, Tomato Purée (11%), Dextrose, Sugar, Modified Starch, Stabilisers (Microcrystalline Cellulose, Sodium Carboxy Methyl Cellulose, Xanthan Gum), Onions, Gherkin (2.2%), Salt, Mustard Seed Flour, Lemon Juice Concentrate, Colour (Titanium Dioxide), Spices, Flavouring

It's got a vegetarian symbol but no vegan one, what do you guys think? Yay or nay?

Yum!
Need to get this
Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:25 pm 

I found giant naan breads in the special offer section of Aldi that seem to be vegan. The only questionable thing I could see on the label was E472e which can be derived from animal fats or plant fats, but this has a suitable for vegetarians label so presumably it's from plant based fats?

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 6:46 am 

Sorry to bump this thread, but, if you haven't tried the Marks & Spencer soy and balsamic sweet potato crisps, you need to get on it! They also have purple potato crisps! Purple!

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 6:50 am 

You know Waitrose used to sell tiny packs of vegan sushi in their 'Food to Go' section? The last time I looked (a few months ago) they had changed to a brand with egg in and I was annoyed.
Well now they've changed back to a vegan brand, as far as I can see. It's a tiny little pack- two veg rolls and a slightly bigger thing that I think is called inari. And soy sauce, ginger and wasabi packets. Tasted nice to me, though I'm no connoisseur.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 9:26 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

Rosie wrote:
Sorry to bump this thread, but, if you haven't tried the Marks & Spencer soy and balsamic sweet potato crisps, you need to get on it! They also have purple potato crisps! Purple!

I spotted them today but they only had 1 slightly crushed looking bag so I'll try 'em another time. I did get a bag of salt & pepper kale chips and some beetroot vinaigrette crisps though, gonna tuck into them later!

GreenDuck I'm excited about this sushi, I love inari tofu! What veggies are in the veg rolls?

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 12:12 pm 

jojo wrote:
Rosie wrote:

I spotted them today but they only had 1 slightly crushed looking bag so I'll try 'em another time. I did get a bag of salt & pepper kale chips and some beetroot vinaigrette crisps though, gonna tuck into them later!

Ahhh, I saw those and really wanted to buy them but was loathed to pay £2 for a tiny packet. Are they worth the money?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 715 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next