| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Glasgow
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:13 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I'm going to Glasgow soon. Anyone got any recommendations for places to eat or things to do? Thank you.

Post subject: Re: Glasgow
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:20 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Definitely go and eat at Mono! It's super awesome and 100% vegan. I'm also fond of Stereo, The 78, Saramago Cafe at the CCA and The Flying Duck. Glasgow is awesome for vegan food.

(I know I'll be seeing you while you're up here but it's nice to share recommendations!)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:49 pm 

Thanks Imogen, mono looks great. Hope we'll have time to get there.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:55 am 
Thinks chickens are assholes

We were in Glasgow with Interrobang?! last November and had a brilliant time, you'll love it. Ate soooooooo much good food!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:05 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Imogen wrote:
Definitely go and eat at Mono! It's super awesome and 100% vegan. I'm also fond of Stereo, The 78, Saramago Cafe at the CCA and The Flying Duck. Glasgow is awesome for vegan food.

(I know I'll be seeing you while you're up here but it's nice to share recommendations!)

Are any of these places kid-friendly? I mean, my kids are generally very well-behaved and don't make a big mess when they eat, but I am always worried I am going to scare/annoy people cgoing to some restaurants, etc. by myself with 3 little kids.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:48 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Mono is pretty kid friendly - at least at one point they had baby discos on certain Sundays. Stereo and The 78 are similar but maybe slightly less kid-friendly. I would steer clear of Saramago with wee ones - it's pretty densely packed and is set up in a way that would allow for a lot of accidents if kids wander around. I'd say it's kinda like a classier pub; I've always thought the atmosphere was pretty adult. And the Flying Duck is a bar, so I probably wouldn't take kids there.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:07 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

rachell37 wrote:
Mono is pretty kid friendly - at least at one point they had baby discos on certain Sundays. Stereo and The 78 are similar but maybe slightly less kid-friendly. I would steer clear of Saramago with wee ones - it's pretty densely packed and is set up in a way that would allow for a lot of accidents if kids wander around. I'd say it's kinda like a classier pub; I've always thought the atmosphere was pretty adult. And the Flying Duck is a bar, so I probably wouldn't take kids there.

Thanks -- this is exactly the info I was after! Mono sounds like the place to go! My kids aren't wanderers (or else I couldn't take them out at all), but densely packed is bad because I usually have a baby and bag strapped to me, so now I know to skip Saramago.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:25 pm 
Mediocre Tart

Chickpea wrote:
I'm going to Glasgow soon. Anyone got any recommendations for places to eat or things to do? Thank you.

Hello! Do you know whereabouts you are going to be in the city? I can give recommendations out of the usual spots if, say, you might be in the Southside.... What are you here for?

fezza wrote:
We were in Glasgow with Interrobang?! last November and had a brilliant time, you'll love it. Ate soooooooo much good food!

Yes! It was the bestest! And Mr Fezza certainly loved those chips in the 78!

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:36 pm 
Mediocre Tart

TheCrabbyCrafter wrote:
rachell37 wrote:

Thanks -- this is exactly the info I was after! Mono sounds like the place to go! My kids aren't wanderers (or else I couldn't take them out at all), but densely packed is bad because I usually have a baby and bag strapped to me, so now I know to skip Saramago.

The baby disco at Mono is the 1st Sunday of each month. I would not discount Saramago- while I did witness a horrible incident there when a toddler was left to wander about the place by herself, I have also seen responsible families there having good times; the thing to do is get one of the peripheral tables. At lunch there during the week there is generally no problem.

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:48 pm 

interrobang?! wrote:
Chickpea wrote:

Hello! Do you know whereabouts you are going to be in the city? I can give recommendations out of the usual spots if, say, you might be in the Southside.... What are you here for?

fezza wrote:

Yes! It was the bestest! And Mr Fezza certainly loved those chips in the 78!

I'm coming to watch the marathon & the athletics at Hampden Park for the Commonwealth Games.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:33 pm 
Mediocre Tart

Chickpea wrote:
I'm coming to watch the marathon & the athletics at Hampden Park for the Commonwealth Games.

I live right next door to Hampden! Like, you can exit my stairwell and be at the athletics within less than a minute!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:08 am 

interrobang?! wrote:
Chickpea wrote:

I live right next door to Hampden! Like, you can exit my stairwell and be at the athletics within less than a minute!

Cool! Are you going or are you fed up with all the disruption?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:26 pm 
Mediocre Tart

Chickpea wrote:
interrobang?! wrote:
Chickpea wrote:

Cool! Are you going or are you fed up with all the disruption?

Oh, lordy, it is a pain in the butt already. And I've been on holiday from work this week so I can't imagine what it's going to be like when I get to commuting on Monday. But! I am happy to share my special secret insider tips with you! Are you staying in the city centre and public-transporting it out to the stadium? Which side of Hampden are you going to be on? That makes a difference. Probably, I imagine, you can't take food into the stadium, but if you think you might benefit from some local knowledge specific to that area (where to eat, where to stock up on snacks, the number of the secret bus for local people that will save you the crushing crowds, I am happy to help!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:32 am 

We are staying with Imogen in Edinburgh and going to get the train over. We couldn't afford to stay in Glasgow because everyone put their prices up! Any help gratefully received.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:34 pm 
Mediocre Tart

I probably could've made a fortune if I'd moved out and rented my flat out for the games! Friends in Carnoustie do that for the golf and camp for the duration. A cat in a tent probably isn't the very best of ideas, mind...

If you are going to be on the West side of the stadium you'll want to either get the train to Mount Florida (4 stops from Central Station, around £2.20 return off-peak) or the special secret 31 bus (I think ticket-holders get free bus travel? Otherwise it's £1.95 each way). It's a shiitake bus in terms of frequency, but it's good for avoiding the crowds (here's the timetable. It's good if you are eating at 13th Note or Mono because it leaves pretty much outside of either of those venues (from Osborne Street.)

If you're on the East side of the stadium you'd be better with the 75 or the 7 busses. Both leave just round the corner on Stockwell Street.

There's not a whole lot about for food and whatnot in the area, but I can offer up the following:

On the West side of the stadium, if you want to get out, you've got Clockwork if you're at all into microbrewries/real ale that could be alright; there's a vegan 3 bean chilli on the menu (I think) but not much else. Also on that side there are loads of takeaways plus Italian and Indian restaurants. And a wee Tesco and a Greggs. Yeah. And that's the *good* side ;)

On the East/Aitkenhead Road side, you've got a giant 24hr Asda (snacks!) and... a Greggs. I think there's maybe a Haddows too. Haha. Sorry.

I saw a photo of a menu from one of the venues posted on twitter and there was nothing vegan on it. And it cost £2.30 for a can of Irn Bru. £2.30!!!

I will come back with some omni places in the city centre/west end to recommend if you have time out for a-wandering. I think the marathon is tomorrow? Have fun (I think you've just missed the best of the weather)!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:04 pm 
Mediocre Tart

Ok, so, if you're in the city centre during the day you should check out Bombay street-food place Babu Kitchen and also Martha's. Good falafel at the latter.

In the West-end? Get to Hanoi Bike Shop! It's fantastic. Pho and bahn mi, oh yes.

The Left Bank, by Glasgow Uni, is good.

Taco Manza (either locale) and Pinto (city) for Mexican.

In the Southside you can go to The Bungo for a veg haggis burger and (if you're lucky) see a bunch of dogs hanging out.

And Glad Cafe is a nice spot to hang, by the park.

Did I go overboard? I have more!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:57 am 

Wow thanks so much! Glasgow is awesome! We went to mono last night after the athletics. The food was great. Had a nightmare getting back to Edinburgh because they don't seem to have put on extra trains! People had to queue all round the car park for the train! The marathon was a great event too.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:12 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Thank you for your kid-friendly recommendations, guys! I went to Stereo yesterday and the food was SO good! They were totally fine with the 5 of us there; the tapas were great for Beet & Raygold to share. I went with my (not-veggie) dad and he said the food was so good, he wants to go again the next time he visits!

Do you guys know if Mono or any of the other places have high chairs or something like that? I kept Vax in the baby carrier at Stereo because they didn't have any high chairs. It wasn't a huge deal, though.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:25 am 

TheCrabbyCrafter wrote:
Do you guys know if Mono or any of the other places have high chairs or something like that? I kept Vax in the baby carrier at Stereo because they didn't have any high chairs. It wasn't a huge deal, though.

I don't know, but as we're going to Mono with the Edinburgh Vegan Meetup at the end of August I'll ask and let you know :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:04 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Awesome, thanks! It makes things a lot easier when I take the kids out by myself.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:27 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Non-constructive contribution to this thread: I'm moving to Glasgow in 3ish weeks where should I eat first?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:17 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

zwingtip wrote:
Non-constructive contribution to this thread: I'm moving to Glasgow in 3ish weeks where should I eat first?

Totally constructive contribution, zwingtip! I'd recommend Stereo, but I'm biased because I just ate there for the first time a few days ago and the food was amazing. The portions are a good size and the atmosphere is really laid back.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:13 am 

TheCrabbyCrafter wrote:
zwingtip wrote:

Totally constructive contribution, zwingtip! I'd recommend Stereo, but I'm biased because I just ate there for the first time a few days ago and the food was amazing. The portions are a good size and the atmosphere is really laid back.

If you go to Stereo try the margherita pizza! Next time I go I need to ask them what cheese they use; it was so melty and yummy.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:20 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but there is a burrito place in Glasgow Central Station (I think it's this place: http://www.tacomazama.co.uk , It reminds me of Chipotle in America) with big lettering on the window "Vegetarian or Vegan?" and goes on to explain the meat is kept away from everything else and they are vegan and vegetarian friendly and happy to substitute guacamole for cheese free of charge. So happy to see a place going out of their way to say they cater to vegans.

I didn't get the chance to check it out, but am going to the next time I'm there!! Finally, I found a burrito place!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:31 pm 

TheCrabbyCrafter wrote:
Not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but there is a burrito place in Glasgow Central Station (I think it's this place: http://www.tacomazama.co.uk , It reminds me of Chipotle in America) with big lettering on the window "Vegetarian or Vegan?" and goes on to explain the meat is kept away from everything else and they are vegan and vegetarian friendly and happy to substitute guacamole for cheese free of charge. So happy to see a place going out of their way to say they cater to vegans.

I didn't get the chance to check it out, but am going to the next time I'm there!! Finally, I found a burrito place!

Oo! I used to live in Glasgow and I think that must have appeared since I moved away. This sounds a great place to try next time I go meet family.