| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Favourite restaurant/cafe/place o' food.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:59 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Me and the daughter unit seem to be only interacting over food at The Loving Hut on The Level in Brighton.
The fact that it is a completely vegan establishment (run by lovely people) is reassuring somehow.
We especially like the cheezecake.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:01 am 
Huffs Nooch

Anyone got tips on what to eat at Pizza Express?
It's an Oxfam Christmas party, haven't to Pizza express since pregan days. In my veggie days I'd have gone for pizza...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:23 am 
Ninja Master

Peacefully wrote:
It's an Oxfam Christmas party, haven't to Pizza express since pregan days. In my veggie days I'd have gone for pizza...

They are pretty good at leaving off cheese off pizzas if you ask them to. The bosco salad is good too if you ask them to leave out the mozzarella. Check the dressing too on that one, it might be honey, i forget, but they'll change it for balsamic dressing if you ask.

Avoid the house dressing, i think it has egg in.

i believe they do dough balls too that are vegan if you don't have the garlic butter??

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:56 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

baps wrote:
Peacefully wrote:

They are pretty good at leaving off cheese off pizzas if you ask them to. The bosco salad is good too if you ask them to leave out the mozzarella. Check the dressing too on that one, it might be honey, i forget, but they'll change it for balsamic dressing if you ask.

Avoid the house dressing, i think it has egg in.

i believe they do dough balls too that are vegan if you don't have the garlic butter??

Yup the dough balls are vegan & they'll give you oil to dip them in if you ask - I have been kown to sneak in a tiny tub of Pure though!

The only vegan thing's as baps said are pizzas or that salad without cheese. I like the pizza with a hole in the middle because then you get pizza & salad & I find cheeseless pizza gets a bit boring if you have to eat a whole one. I think it's kinda lame that they don't even have a pasta dish that can be made vegan!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:41 am 
Saggy Butt

Swap the garlic butter for balsamic syrup!
Be careful with the leggeras (pizzas with salad in) because they gave me one dressed with egg, grr.
I always ask them to swap ingredients instead of removing the cheese, so i usually ask for artichokes instead =D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:02 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I have friend who took some cheezly with him and they used it instead of cheese. worth an ask!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:08 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Wow thanks everyone!

Thanks for the tips, I would not have thought that the dressing might contain egg. I'll probably go for a salad minus mozzarella or ...something. Although-

Cheese replaced with artichoke sounds yum. Did they charge you the same amount for that?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:29 pm 
Saggy Butt

Alien wrote:
Swap the garlic butter for balsamic syrup!
Be careful with the leggeras (pizzas with salad in) because they gave me one dressed with egg, grr.
I always ask them to swap ingredients instead of removing the cheese, so i usually ask for artichokes instead =D

Oooh I want to go to Pizza Express now! Balsamic syrup on dough balls and artichokes on that leggera pizza with all the roasted veg...I just made pizza for supper actually but it would be fun to go out and have a decent pizza :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:28 pm 
Saggy Butt

We always go on 2-for-1 deals (orange wednesday codes get you free pizza!) or the vouchers we get at the cinema, so we only pay for one pizza anyway, and that definitely doesn't cost me anymore. I got the idea off a waiter at Pizza Hut. by the way, NEVER go there(pizza hut, not express!). They've given me cheese pizza so many times and I always get the extra thin one, and every time its not had cheese on they've burned it.
Bleh.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:44 am 
Not NOT A Furry

bigpinkjellybean wrote:
Vladan wrote:
Best place for me is the Earth Cafe in Manchester. Reasonably priced and the chocolate nut shake is amazing.

Oooh, where in Manc is this? I've been living there 2 years and haven't come across it. The Veggie Cafe at the uni does some vegan stuff, and the Seventh Day Adventist vegetarian shop on Oxford Road does too, but both of them are lunch places rather than dinner places.

The place on Oxford Road is actually called "On The Eighth Day" and has no religious connections whatsoever, it is a totally independent worker's co-op.
I haven't eaten there for a couple of years though as it went downhill a lot (pricey and a drop in the quality of the dishes, i thought).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:08 am 
Huffs Nooch

i think 'on the 8th day...god created manchester!
or so we're led to believe.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:53 am 
Saggy Butt

Las Iguanas is good for vegans, things actually on the menu instead of asking to substitute ingredients!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:58 pm 
Huffs Nooch

like margaritas! :D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:34 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

Alien wrote:
Las Iguanas is good for vegans, things actually on the menu instead of asking to substitute ingredients!

What food do you normally have? I see they label veggie.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:40 am 
Saggy Butt

Cassava fries (the chips and fries are all done in a separate fryer to the meat etxc, at least in my local one), and a moqueca thing. its a brazilian curry stew type thing with rice, palm hearts, plantain, sugar snap peas, and loads of other really interesting vegetables that make me full of happiness. They also have soy milk and will make a vegan pina colada/virgin one if you ask at the right time. =]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:05 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I only live a walk away from Rootmaster and spend SO much money there! I really should have an intervention or something. Inspiral is awesome, too!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:49 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

There's a new place that's opened in Manchester called Jack Spratt's. Most of what they serve isn't vegan, but they do make everything from scratch and are more than willing to make something specific for your needs. You can eat in or take out. I got a wonderful sandwich from there a few weeks ago - a TLT (tofu, lettuce and tomato) with edamame beans and chilli sauce. It was so tasty.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:05 pm 
Ninja Master

Last time in Hove when I was visiting my bro, we found a cool cafe called the Mad Hatter. It did a decent vegan breakfast if you took the eggs out and they had quite a few things on the menu that were veg friendly. In fact they only had about 2 things on the menu that weren't veggie if I remember rightly.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:18 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

xherbivorex wrote:
bigpinkjellybean wrote:
Vladan wrote:
Best place for me is the Earth Cafe in Manchester. Reasonably priced and the chocolate nut shake is amazing.

Oooh, where in Manc is this? I've been living there 2 years and haven't come across it. The Veggie Cafe at the uni does some vegan stuff, and the Seventh Day Adventist vegetarian shop on Oxford Road does too, but both of them are lunch places rather than dinner places.

The place on Oxford Road is actually called "On The Eighth Day" and has no religious connections whatsoever, it is a totally independent worker's co-op.
I haven't eaten there for a couple of years though as it went downhill a lot (pricey and a drop in the quality of the dishes, i thought).

Oh god, yes it is! What a completely ridiculous mistake! Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:12 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

Whole Foods in Kensington now has a 'vegan treats' section in the bakery with cupcakes (which I didn't try again because they weren't good last time I had one), good muffins & loads of Inspiral lounge cakes.

They also have the Amy's Daiya Mac 'n' Cheese ready meals in the freezer AND I'm in love with their chocolate counter, they have lemon, orange & raspberry creams, a good selection of Montezumas chocolates and Sweet Vegan marshmallows.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:23 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Most Holland & Barrett stores (the larger ones at least) have a refrigerator section where they have vegan ready meals, like the Amy's stuff, and they have a bunch of pasty type things and mushroom sausage rolls, which is handy if you need something quick.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:29 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

wowetflutter wrote:
There's a new place that's opened in Manchester called Jack Spratt's. Most of what they serve isn't vegan, but they do make everything from scratch and are more than willing to make something specific for your needs. You can eat in or take out. I got a wonderful sandwich from there a few weeks ago - a TLT (tofu, lettuce and tomato) with edamame beans and chilli sauce. It was so tasty.

sounds interesting- do you have an address for this place by any chance? google is just giving me a chippy in oldham!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:59 pm 
Impressive boner

Alley Cafe. Granted it's tiny, but the food is good and not expensive.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:57 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

wowetflutter wrote:

Ooo, like the sound of that, where abouts is it in Manchester?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:12 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

jojo wrote:
Whole Foods in Kensington now has a 'vegan treats' section in the bakery with cupcakes (which I didn't try again because they weren't good last time I had one), good muffins & loads of Inspiral lounge cakes.

They also have the Amy's Daiya Mac 'n' Cheese ready meals in the freezer AND I'm in love with their chocolate counter, they have lemon, orange & raspberry creams, a good selection of Montezumas chocolates and Sweet Vegan marshmallows.

The cupcakes in Whole Foods Kensington are terrible! Now they do some Inspiral Lounge cakes and so I thought they would be good but they weren't. They were stale and not good at all.
Now the Wholefoods over in Clapham they sell some vegan treats from a bakery I had never heard of. I can't remember the name now either. But that stuff was great! They had a banana peanutbutter cupcake which was fresh and soft and yummy and a chocolate ganache kind of cake which was really good. I think that WholeFoods Kensington just keeps stuff in that bakery case for months and just hopes some vegan will come along and part with their hard earned cash and get rid of it.

As Nature Intended which is in Balham has these little pots of raw chocolate mousse and pumpkin (flavored) pie for sale in the fridge section by the door. They are expensive but the pumpkin thing is soo good and there is no pumpkin in it but it tastes like there is.