| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Favourite restaurant/cafe/place o' food.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:28 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

8ball wrote:
Alley Cafe. Granted it's tiny, but the food is good and not expensive.

I hated Alley Cafe when I went. Rude service and the "pizza" was a piece of french bread with tomato puree and about one piece of tofu. I maybe got a bad day but i wouldn't go back.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:28 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Efcliz wrote:
8ball wrote:
Alley Cafe. Granted it's tiny, but the food is good and not expensive.

I hated Alley Cafe when I went. Rude service and the "pizza" was a piece of french bread with tomato puree and about one piece of tofu. I maybe got a bad day but i wouldn't go back.

I felt their scramble had a distinct lack of nooch, but other than that, we liked our breakfast there the time we went. Though the staff were a bit disinterested.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:08 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I live in London. Places I have visited:

Like:
Inspiral (I hate the layout, annoying wooden cutlery and sometimes the staff are a bit off, but the food is always delicious! Last time I had an amazing raw pecan chocolate pie thing

Tibits, pretty good value for a healthy lunch in central London.

Peking palace, a vegan chinese in archway. I think the name of this one has changed now to loving hut, it's part of that group but is family run and has it's own menu. The vegan milkshakes are pretty good.

Love:
Mildred's, consistently good, especially the desserts

Itadaki zen. If you go get the sasou tea. Just do it.

222. Always good. The lunchtime buffet is great value (I take all you can eat quite literally) and the new raw desserts are very tasty.

Manna. Bit pricey, but my favouritist restaurant in London. Amazing venue/atmosphere/staff, inspired menu and their cashew cheese is the best vegan cheese I've ever tasted.

Hate: saf. Hate hate hate. more style than substance by a long way.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:49 am 
Huffs Nooch

I just googled the menu for 222 and I'm practically drooling. I'm giving that place a go!

"A deliciously creamy dish with seitan strips, caramelised onions, fresh herbs and pepper cubes in cashew cream is served with organic brown basmati rice." "A delicious raw dessert of cashew and almond cream flavoured with cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg on a crunchy nut and coconut base. Sweetened with agave nectar."

:3

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:56 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Has anyone tried Bio Amico yet? Quarry Girl loved it, the Telegraph hated it. I'm dying to get a report from someone I "know".

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:19 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

Efcliz wrote:
Has anyone tried Bio Amico yet? Quarry Girl loved it, the Telegraph hated it. I'm dying to get a report from someone I "know".

Yes! MessyVeggie, holylopez & I went on Thursday.

I liked the place, the chef came out & chatted with us, it has a really nice atmosphere and he sources ingredients from his brothers farm in Italy, also for central London fancyish food it wasn't too pricy (compared to say Zilli Green or Manna). I definitely enjoyed the food, it was delicious but pretty simple...I had a chard, pear & balsamic salad which was great, really delicious flavours & it was obviously decent balsamic vinegar! My main was pasta with artichokes which is something I could have easily made at home but it was still good, I choose it because I fancied pasta but they didn't have the sage & pumpkin pasta dish I'd seen on the online menu. Dessert was pretty awesome - apple fritters with homemade vegan ice cream, the batter on the apple fritters was so light. They also have a wine list with vegan options labelled.

I'd definitely go back although I did prefer the food I had at Zilli Green - I think I'm in the minority there though as I don't know anyone else who liked it much!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:13 pm 
Huffs Nooch

The Alley Cafe is dire; avoid. It's got a really bad reputation within the local AR scene & it's well deserved. Bad food, bad service & (according to sources) very dubious labour practices.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:14 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Liz, I just posted my review here. I liked it because the food was fresh and simple, with high-quality ingredients. I'd go back.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:39 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Efcliz wrote:

I went once and got the same thing JoJo got and I had the same reaction. I am going again tonight for a BDay gathering. I will def. try something different. No drinking for me so I cannot speak to the wine, but the staff are friendly and they gave us (table of 4) a bunch of free stuff to try. Maybe it was a slow night, even though it seemed packed.

I would not regularly go back, but it's decent and inexpensive.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:35 pm 
Tofu Pup

jojo wrote:
Whole Foods in Kensington now has a 'vegan treats' section in the bakery with cupcakes (which I didn't try again because they weren't good last time I had one), good muffins & loads of Inspiral lounge cakes.

They also have the Amy's Daiya Mac 'n' Cheese ready meals in the freezer AND I'm in love with their chocolate counter, they have lemon, orange & raspberry creams, a good selection of Montezumas chocolates and Sweet Vegan marshmallows.

Does Whole Foods in the UK sell Daiya? Or vegan marshmallows? I swear, the Glasgow branch can't open soon enough :P

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:37 pm 
Tofu Pup

rachell37 wrote:
My favourite place in Edinburgh is probably either Bonsai or YO!Sushi, neither of which are veg, but they're the best places in town to get veg food (especially if you're with omnis).

Bonsai is amazing and totally our fave. The people who run it are totally up on making vegan food and not using fish flakes or other such nonsense in things like miso soup... mmmmmmmmm inari and agedashi!! *sigh*

Oh, and in Manchester we love both Pancho's Burritos (Arndale Market) and Bar Burrito (Piccadilly Gardens, Trafford Centre etc). Very vegan friendly - no annoying cream in the guac - and super nummy. Los Cardos on Leith Walk in Edinburgh is almost as good and also safe on the guac front... oh wait, when they do veggie haggis burritos they are the GREATEST :D

Last edited by scotpaulabear on Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:38 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

scotpaulabear wrote:
jojo wrote:
Whole Foods in Kensington now has a 'vegan treats' section in the bakery with cupcakes (which I didn't try again because they weren't good last time I had one), good muffins & loads of Inspiral lounge cakes.

They also have the Amy's Daiya Mac 'n' Cheese ready meals in the freezer AND I'm in love with their chocolate counter, they have lemon, orange & raspberry creams, a good selection of Montezumas chocolates and Sweet Vegan marshmallows.

Does Whole Foods in the UK sell Daiya? Or vegan marshmallows? I swear, the Glasgow branch can't open soon enough :P

No Daiya, although they do sell the Amy's Mac & Cheese that's made with Daiya. They sell Sweet Vegan marshmallows which are probably my favourite vegan marshmallow.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:18 am 
Not NOT A Furry

scotpaulabear wrote:
Oh, and in Manchester we love both Pancho's Burritos (Arndale Market) and Bar Burrito (Piccadilly Gardens, Trafford Centre etc). Very vegan friendly - no annoying cream in the guac - and super nummy.

y'see, i LOVE barburrito but i know a bunch of people who hate the place for various reasons (mainly because they reckon it's pricey).
I'm yet to have anything from pancho's but i've been told a few times that he's good, although i was disappointed on saturday when we went to buy some ingredients (i was looking for either liquid smoke or a pack of chipotles) and he has severely reduced his range of stuff other than the takeaway foods.