| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vegan tasting menu at White Peacock, Leicester on 27/8
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:52 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Leicester vegetarian/vegan meetup group have arranged with the White Peacock on New Walk a vegan 7-course taster menu. It's next Thursday at 7pm (well, arrive from 6.45 for seating at 7.15, so around 7pm anyway!).

Seems pretty good value at £35, although I guess drinks apart from coffee are extra. There are still spaces left and bookings can be made through the meetup group until this Saturday (22nd), otherwise contact the venue to check. They also require a £10 deposit.

I hope a lot of people manage to make this and make it worth the restaurant's while (and make it worth while for other restaurants to follow suit), I'd like to see more fine vegan dining, especially around the Midlands. We have quite a few great choices for vegan food but it doesn't tend to be massively fancy.

I've been wanting to try this place for quite a while, so I'm certainly looking forward to it!

https://dropscone.wordpress.com/ - frugal recipes & finds in the UK

Post subject: Re: Vegan tasting menu at White Peacock, Leicester on 27/8
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:07 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Oh, I wish I could make this but I can't unfortunately. I hope it is good though!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:15 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Me too! I've just found out they ask guests to wear smart casual clothes. I'm always terrible at clothes, I hope I can find something to wear that isn't full of holes/denim/baseball caps/swears!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:36 am 
Nailed to the V

Ooooh I wish I lived further North! £35 seems like a really good price for that. Hope it goes well.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:55 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

We had a really enjoyable evening overall, and got to meet the chef at the end of the night. He said he'd really enjoyed putting the menu together for us, and it looks like they might be planning another evening later in the year! He also told us that a lot of dishes are vegan until just before service, e.g. the vegetarian risotto and all of the soups, they just get finished with dairy usually.

He said if you book as a vegan they will have absolutely no problem coming up with something, and if you walk in they'll be able to make something but they might have to make it from scratch so it might take a bit longer.

There were some really lovely flavours. The hits for me were all the smoky flavours from char-grilled vegetables and smoked aubergine, and there was a lovely sorbet palate-cleanser. The major disappointment for me was that there were petits fours mentioned and I expected them to be a baked good, but they were actually a variation of a jelly element from the dessert course that had been the least successful item on that plate. The rest of the dessert plate was really good though! There was a crispy shard of dehydrated fruit puree which was such a great texture and flavour contrast with the fruits, jellies and watermelon sorbet and chocolate cookie crumbs.

There was some talk about whether or not they would offer vegan afternoon tea, and I'm not sure what the outcome was, but I think it was that they would if enough people booked (if it's just one person it's not cost effective as their pricing currently stands), so I hope that word will get around that we need to organise an outing.