| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Eating in Oxford/ Cotswolds ?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:23 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

We're heading to the Cotswolds/ Oxford area in a few weeks and as I've never been there before, I don't know where's good to eat around that area. Has anyone any ideas for somewhere good around the Cotswolds or Oxford? Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Eating in Oxford/ Cotswolds ?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:51 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I live just outside Oxford, and it's actually slightly more slim pickings than you might expect from a supposed intellectual hub of... stuff.

The only fully vegetarian place is the Gardener's Arms (all vegan stuff labelled and that), but it's pretty standard food-wise... burgers, hot dogs, pies and such... and I find it a little overpriced for what it is. There is actually another veggie cafe, but it's small and out of the way and a bit hippy health foody.

If you're into Chinese food, I'd totally recommend Sojo. Went there for the first time recently and it was amazing. Really quite authentic, rather than standard take out fare. They have a vegetarian menu. Stuff with egg in was marked and they didn't have dairy in anything I asked about (it's unusual in Chinese food, anyways). For more junky Chinese, but still good, with lots of mock meats and such, go to the Pink Giraffe. Vegan stuff is labelled and there's tons of it.

Al Shami has amazing Lebanese food, particularly meze bits, and all vegan stuff is marked.

Red Star Noodle Bar on Cowley Road is good for giant bowls of ramen and such, but you'll have to ask about ingredients.

Outside of Oxford itself, if you're into proper Cotswold territory, I think you might be a little stuck. Normally just pubs out in the sticks, with notoriously dairy-laden veggie options. If you're around Witney way, they have a good new Nepalese restaurant and plenty of Indian food. Plus a few pubs (Three Horseshoes, Hollybush, Plough) that have tapas menus with hummus and pita and the like.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:08 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Disappearing Ink wrote:
I live just outside Oxford, and it's actually slightly more slim pickings than you might expect from a supposed intellectual hub of... stuff.

The only fully vegetarian place is the Gardener's Arms (all vegan stuff labelled and that), but it's pretty standard food-wise... burgers, hot dogs, pies and such... and I find it a little overpriced for what it is. There is actually another veggie cafe, but it's small and out of the way and a bit hippy health foody.

If you're into Chinese food, I'd totally recommend Sojo. Went there for the first time recently and it was amazing. Really quite authentic, rather than standard take out fare. They have a vegetarian menu. Stuff with egg in was marked and they didn't have dairy in anything I asked about (it's unusual in Chinese food, anyways). For more junky Chinese, but still good, with lots of mock meats and such, go to the Pink Giraffe. Vegan stuff is labelled and there's tons of it.

Al Shami has amazing Lebanese food, particularly meze bits, and all vegan stuff is marked.

Red Star Noodle Bar on Cowley Road is good for giant bowls of ramen and such, but you'll have to ask about ingredients.

Outside of Oxford itself, if you're into proper Cotswold territory, I think you might be a little stuck. Normally just pubs out in the sticks, with notoriously dairy-laden veggie options. If you're around Witney way, they have a good new Nepalese restaurant and plenty of Indian food. Plus a few pubs (Three Horseshoes, Hollybush, Plough) that have tapas menus with hummus and pita and the like.

I just had a look at the Al Shami menu online and that sounds so good, so I think that that would be a definite possibility. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:20 pm 
Hip Goiter

Has anyone stayed in an inn in the Cotswolds that did vegan food? We are looking!

Laughfrodisiac
www.thefriendliestflour.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:27 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I stayed near Stow on the Wold in the Cotswolds earlier this year and contacted a couple of pubs/restaurants in advance to ask about vegan options, all were able to accommodate us to some extent. The options were fairly limited and the most promising was a place called The Vine Leaf, who were very helpful and willing to make specific dishes for us if we ordered in advance. Unfortunately no-one else in the family (omnis) wanted to eat there, so we didn't get to try it. We ate at the Kings Arms who did us an OK mushroom risotto.

The next day we found The White Hart which has a pretty interesting vegan menu which they make no mention of on their website. Not everything is available if you turn up unannounced, but we booked a table the day before and they bought in everything they needed to offer two of us the whole menu (no desserts though). We were really excited to see the menu and the food was tasty but the portions were tiny and very expensive. I had spicy cauliflower pakora with onion chutney and I got 3 pakora, a dollop of chutney and a few pea shoots for a £13 main course. Of course, the omni meals were huge pieces of meat/fish with sides & salads for the same price. The meals were so small that we went to a local tea room a couple of hours later and had baked beans on toast! But, if you have a very small appetite or a big budget, they might be OK. They also have rooms RandiJM.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:27 pm 
Hip Goiter

Thanks a lot HappyBean!!!!

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:31 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

RandiJM wrote:
Has anyone stayed in an inn in the Cotswolds that did vegan food? We are looking!
My first question would be where in the Cotswolds? It's a biggish area.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:44 pm 
Hip Goiter

No idea! We just want to do a weekend in the country so I figured I would get some ideas about PPK-tested places first!

Laughfrodisiac