| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: A decent plain yogurt?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:09 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

EmperorTomatoKetchup wrote:
one silly little thing that i'm going to miss when i move to the UK is having the reliably graded silken > soft > firm > extra firm tofu spectrum. it just might be enough to get me to grind and curdle my own damn soybeans.
Mori-nu has silken and soft, cauldron do firm and Clearspot (or Clearspring, whichever doesn't do the anaemic miso soup) have a very firm one.

I have just discovered Sojade plain yoghurt. I used to buy the blueberry one, but I ate it too fast...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:45 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Gulliver wrote:
one silly little thing that i'm going to miss when i move to the UK is having the reliably graded silken > soft > firm > extra firm tofu spectrum. it just might be enough to get me to grind and curdle my own damn soybeans.
Mori-nu has silken and soft, cauldron do firm and Clearspot (or Clearspring, whichever doesn't do the anaemic miso soup) have a very firm one.

all Mori-Nu tofu is silken. their firm tofu is firmer than their soft, but it's still silken.
Cauldron is nowhere near as firm as it used to be.
Clear Spot is reasonably firm, but the taste leaves a bit to be desired.

screw you guys, i'm making my own tofu.

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:04 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

Gulliver wrote:

all Mori-Nu tofu is silken. their firm tofu is firmer than their soft, but it's still silken.
Cauldron is nowhere near as firm as it used to be.
Clear Spot is reasonably firm, but the taste leaves a bit to be desired.

screw you guys, i'm making my own tofu.

I really don't consider the Cauldren tofu to be firm, there's Provamel & Taifun which are firmer but not extra firm.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:45 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Yep, Cauldron or Clearspot is nowhere near as firm as Taifun (and Taifun has always been less crumbly than Cauldron), and I could find decidedly firmer tofu than Taifun in a jar when I lived in Germany. My last package of Cauldron was vaguely firmer than the one I'd had before that, but I've kind of gone off bothering to stir fry tofu ever since Taifun disappeared from Waitrose.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:23 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Taifun tofu? i don't think i've ever seen that brand before.

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:17 am 
Ninja Master

I always stock up on taifun when I go to the health food shop because my local H&B and supermarkets only sell cauldron. Which is shitter than a big lump of shiitake.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:36 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

Yes! Tofu grades! This drives me crazy! British packaging needs to understand that not all tofu is created equal.

Also, Sojade > Alpro/Provamel.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:59 am 
Level 7 Vegan

carrotshoes wrote:
Yes! Tofu grades! This drives me crazy! British packaging needs to understand that not all tofu is created equal.

YOU FEEL MY PAIN.

also, you live where i'm moving to. holla!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:17 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Chipmunk wrote:
ever since Taifun disappeared from Waitrose.

It was still in my local waitrose (kenilworth) when I last checked a couple of weeks back.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:25 am 
Ninja Master

They used to sell plain taifun in my local waitrose and the smoked one with almonds. but the last few times i've checked they've not had either! :(

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:12 am 

They still have plain & smoked / almond Taifun in the Brighton Waitrose (& Infinity of course)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:46 am 
Ninja Master

I just stock up on the 400g packs when I'm in the health food shop instead.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:57 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

Quote:
YOU FEEL MY PAIN.

also, you live where i'm moving to. holla!

It does give me a good excuse not to cook stirfrys though, which I irrationally dislike.

Also Holla! I'm pretty new to Bristol myself (ie, I basically don't have any friends except my housemates, none of whom are vegan).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:14 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

carrotshoes wrote:
Also Holla! I'm pretty new to Bristol myself (ie, I basically don't have any friends except my housemates, none of whom are vegan).

i've spent a total of about a year in Bristol because of my long-distance relationship, so i know the lay of the land a little. what neighbourhood are you in?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:16 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

I'm in St Pauls.. which I like a lot. And I have been into Cafe Kino, (not ten minutes walk from my house) and had some very delicious felafel, and keep meaning to go back to try a burger. And the Better Food Company is close, if I want to blow my budget on groceries. Haven't checked out Cafe Maitreya yet or the co-op in Easton (I forget the name), they are both on my list. And that, wandering up and down Stokes Croft, and going to and from Temple Meads (I'm at uni in Bath) is about my knowledge of Bristol! Ha.

Total hijack of this thread. I can confirm though that Sojade plain yogurt makes a delicious sour cream on top of V'con potato-kale enchiladas. Mmmm.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:41 am 
Saggy Butt

Seeing as this thread has elapsed into the realms of tofu I'll give my 2 cents.
I go for the water packed firm tofu which you find in the fridges in asian stores. At least my local one has a nice firm type, cheap too.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:02 am 

Does anyone know of any vegan yoghurt starters, or which commercial soya yoghurts are 'live' and suitable as using for a starter?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:02 am 

Does anyone know of any vegan yoghurt starters, or which commercial soya yoghurts are 'live' and suitable as using for a starter?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:06 am 
Level 7 Vegan

carrotshoes wrote:
I'm in St Pauls.. which I like a lot. And I have been into Cafe Kino, (not ten minutes walk from my house) and had some very delicious felafel, and keep meaning to go back to try a burger. And the Better Food Company is close, if I want to blow my budget on groceries. Haven't checked out Cafe Maitreya yet or the co-op in Easton (I forget the name), they are both on my list. And that, wandering up and down Stokes Croft, and going to and from Temple Meads (I'm at uni in Bath) is about my knowledge of Bristol! Ha.

wow, you're right near my partner! he lives just off Ashley Road, and about the same distance from all the places you've mentioned. crazy.

Kino has delicious burgers, along with oily yet tasty salad. their chips seem to be different since they've moved to their new location, but maybe they just had someone new in the kitchen.
i've only been to Maitreya once, but i liked it. i have to keep checking the menu for updates, hoping for a good combination of vegan (for me) and nut-free dishes (for my partner).
Kebele Co-op in Easton (i think that's the one you're talking about) does a very homestyle breakfast/brunch cafe (haven't tried the Sunday evening cafe), and has events every so often, like a vegan chocolate tasting in January. also in Easton is a Thali Cafe location, and the famed Bristol Sweet Mart, which is a wondrous place filled with just about every type of legume and spice you could think of.

sorry if i went off on too much of a tangent! i'm just happy to be able to talk about Bristol stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:48 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

sorry if i went off on too much of a tangent! i'm just happy to be able to talk about Bristol stuff.

Oh shiitake, I got swallowed by a statistics assignment and only just saw this. I am happy to talk about Bristol stuff and food also!
Yeah, the Kebele Co-op in Easton was the place I meant, and also I have heard good things about Thali from non-vegans here.
I tried the Kino burger a couple days ago too... it was good I guess, but maybe my expectations were too high and I was kinda disappointed. I think it just wasn't the kind of burger I wanted, plus there were a couple places in Vancouver with burgers I LOVED, so it would be hard for any burger to live up to that. Sigh. England has better pies though. And I don't know what the Kino fries were like before, but I am a fan of them. And the felafel. Plus their coffee is good.And you're right on the oily but good salad. I have plans to replicate the seed stuff they put on it.

Total thread hijack... dare I say... Bristol meet-up?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:44 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

carrotshoes wrote:

How about starting a new thread about the Bristol vegan fayre and plan a meet up through that?

And also... anyone else try the new Alpro flavours at the Brighton fest - green tea and yuck, or apple - again, both so sweet they make your teeth curl. Nothing has come even a little bit close to Sojade yet - I wish they did lemon flavour in the big tubs. But then I'd be eating a big tub of lemon yoghurt on an almost daily basis...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:49 am 

Ruby Rose wrote:

And also... anyone else try the new Alpro flavours at the Brighton fest - green tea and yuck, or apple - again, both so sweet they make your teeth curl. Nothing has come even a little bit close to Sojade yet - I wish they did lemon flavour in the big tubs. But then I'd be eating a big tub of lemon yoghurt on an almost daily basis...

I didn't even see the Alpro stall! I only like Alpro Soya Smooth peach & pear yoghurt, luckily my husband only likes the strawberry banana because you have to buy them together!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:01 pm 
Ninja Master

I bought some of the alpro yogs the other day. i've only tried the black cherry one and it is REALLLYYYY sweet!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:25 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Alpro forest fruits (first European soy yogurt i ever tried!) is pretty good i think, though Sojade is better.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:15 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Ruby Rose wrote:
carrotshoes wrote:

How about starting a new thread about the Bristol vegan fayre and plan a meet up through that?

Apple? Bit of a weird flavour!
I wish they did big tubs of lemon too