| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: If someone wanted to visit Ireland... where should they
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:12 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I live in Dublin, which is lovely, especially in the summer. There is plenty to do and see if you're into walking about and looking at buildings and stuff, and a couple of nice but small museums and galleries. You can take day trips from Dublin to walk about in the mountains or by the coast. There's also Newgrange, which isn't too far away. Eating should be easy enough, I can give you some tips if you want.

Will you be driving?

Outside of Dublin, the West of Ireland is great - Galway and Clare are beautiful. The Burren http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Burren is one of my favourite places. Have you seen Father Ted? You can visit the cave they went to (The Ailwee Caves) and his house is around there somewhere too. The Cliffs of Morne are beautiful. Kerry and Cork are lovely too, I haven't spent too much time there, but West Cork is gorgeous.

I haven't spent too much time up north either, but plan on visiting the Giant's Causeway myself at some point. Belfast is a nice place. There's a lovely village called Carlingford on the way up to Belfast from Dublin.

Outside of the big towns, eating options can be limited. I spent a bit of time doing field work in the West, and we pretty much relied on pub grub, which for me meant chips, salad, chips, mabye a toasted tomato sandwich with no butter, but mostly chips. Not terribly healthy! If you're more flexible though, I'm sure it's possible to find better eats!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:24 pm 
Thinks chickens are assholes

Ooohh the chef in the hotel in Carlingford made me some lovely grub when I stayed there for a weekend. The waiter walked to the village health shop and got me vegan bread and offered to get me olive oil to spread on it. They really were lovely there.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:31 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I am going to Shannon for two days (this Fri and Sat). Should I rent a car or use public transport to see things like Cork, Cliffs of M, The Burren, Dingle, etc.? I know that is a lot, but I am not settled on an itinerary yet.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:57 am 

fezza wrote:
Ooohh the chef in the hotel in Carlingford made me some lovely grub when I stayed there for a weekend. The waiter walked to the village health shop and got me vegan bread and offered to get me olive oil to spread on it. They really were lovely there.

Good to know! We just wandered around and then found a nice beer garden to sit in the sun - the place was jammers, it was a bank holiday weekend.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:03 am 

ItsBoiling wrote:
I am going to Shannon for two days (this Fri and Sat). Should I rent a car or use public transport to see things like Cork, Cliffs of M, The Burren, Dingle, etc.? I know that is a lot, but I am not settled on an itinerary yet.

Have you had a look to see what public transport is available? I would say renting a car is your best option - I'm not too sure what the public transport situation is like, but if you want to cram a lot of stuff into two days, you probably won't be able to do that if you're waiting around for buses. There are probably tours you can do in each area that will bring you to the sights, but again I don't know much about them (or even if they run at this time of year).

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2