| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Vegan chocolate
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:18 am 
Offline
Smuggling Raisins
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:50 pm
Posts: 330
Location: Brighton, UK
So I was chatting to the lady who runs our local health food shop, and she was saying she's stopping stocking Green and Blacks because it's not selling so well anymore. I told her about the vegan/milk powder things and she seemed to agree. She's now maxing out the shelf with Montezuma stuff, which is alright, but I don't like it as it's mostly all either non-vegan, or plain dark and boring. I like stuff in my chocolate, or faux-milk-chocolates.

I was going to suggest some other brands for her to stock, but before I launched in there with the Plamil stuff, I thought I'd find out everyone else's favourites, incase I had forgotten any!

_________________
Here's to the skinned knees, the sutured hearts; here's to the unhappy endings and all the false starts...
www.vanillasugarblog.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan chocolate
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:45 am 
Offline
Mispronounces Daiya
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:31 pm
Posts: 1486
Location: In the land of Druids and Moonrakers
Organica.

_________________
Cake is always the appropriate intervention. - choirqueer
We are here to discuss the gender politics of cats, not your mommy issues. - Expired Sanity


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan chocolate
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:11 am 
Offline
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:56 pm
Posts: 4302
Location: Brighton, England.
Yes, Plamil! Especially the 40g white bar, I'm kinda addicted to that stuff!

I like Divine, the dark's good for baking but the raspberry & mint are good for just eating.

Have you tried the Montezumas dark chocolate buttons Rachwins? It's the only plain dark chocolate I like. For milk style chocolate the Moo Free bars are great..

_________________
Blog: Vegan.In.Brighton
Not-For-Profit Bakery: Operation Icing
Twitter: @veganinbrighton


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan chocolate
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:17 am 
Offline
Smuggling Raisins
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:50 pm
Posts: 330
Location: Brighton, UK
I got a moo free egg yesterday! It hasn't lasted 24 hours.

_________________
Here's to the skinned knees, the sutured hearts; here's to the unhappy endings and all the false starts...
www.vanillasugarblog.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan chocolate
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:20 am 
Offline
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:56 pm
Posts: 4302
Location: Brighton, England.
Rachwins wrote:
I got a moo free egg yesterday! It hasn't lasted 24 hours.


Me & Nick got two from the vegan fair & we've already eaten one of them. I got him to hide the other one! We've also had to hide the vegan praline eggs from Montezumas if they're just sitting in the kitchen they'll never last until Easter!

_________________
Blog: Vegan.In.Brighton
Not-For-Profit Bakery: Operation Icing
Twitter: @veganinbrighton


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan chocolate
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:53 am 
Offline
Naked Under Apron
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:32 pm
Posts: 1796
I bought Lee some of the Moo Free pralines and he loved them (as a dark chocolate hater). I also agree with Organica, the Couverture bar is amazing.

_________________
Lady Gaga and Beyonce should run her over with the kitten Wagon for that one comment alone - Torque (speaking of Katy Perry)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan chocolate
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:29 am 
Offline
So Totally Yiffy
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:46 pm
Posts: 36
Location: Edinburgh
jojo wrote:
I like Divine, the dark's good for baking but the raspberry & mint are good for just eating.


Is Divine vegan? I looked at the label the other day in Real Foods here and it said it contained milk. I think it was the dark bar I looked at...

I'll be thrilled to bits if I just looked at the wrong bar! :D

Plamil gets my vote, too.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan chocolate
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:34 am 
Offline
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:56 pm
Posts: 4302
Location: Brighton, England.
Aine wrote:
jojo wrote:
I like Divine, the dark's good for baking but the raspberry & mint are good for just eating.


Is Divine vegan? I looked at the label the other day in Real Foods here and it said it contained milk. I think it was the dark bar I looked at...

I'll be thrilled to bits if I just looked at the wrong bar! :D

Plamil gets my vote, too.


I hope they haven't changed it but the ingredient list on their website hasn't changed http://www.divinechocolate.com/products/dark.aspx

It's always annoyed me that their dark fruit & nut has butterfat though.

_________________
Blog: Vegan.In.Brighton
Not-For-Profit Bakery: Operation Icing
Twitter: @veganinbrighton


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan chocolate
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:15 pm 
Offline
Wears Durian Helmet
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:15 pm
Posts: 858
Location: South West UK
organica- the white one is probably my favourite chocolate ever!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan chocolate
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:04 pm 
Offline
Ninja Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:00 pm
Posts: 4593
Location: Surrey, UK
the organica milk chocolate is amazing. it's the most like milk chocolate i've tasted.

_________________
I sure do love pumpkins, Cotton.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan chocolate
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:09 pm 
Offline
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:24 pm
Posts: 232
Location: London
jojo wrote:
Rachwins wrote:
I got a moo free egg yesterday! It hasn't lasted 24 hours.


Me & Nick got two from the vegan fair & we've already eaten one of them. I got him to hide the other one! We've also had to hide the vegan praline eggs from Montezumas if they're just sitting in the kitchen they'll never last until Easter!

vegan praline? oh god!
Were they expensive?

_________________
http://dreamsarenecessary.blogspot.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan chocolate
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:18 pm 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm
Posts: 3959
Location: Edinburgh
^^I got them for £5.50. I think you can order direct from Montezuma's for a similar price. Actually, you might be able to get them from Real Foods online (that's the store I bought them from), and they have free shipping to mainland UK.

_________________
A pie eating contest is a battle with no losers. - amandabear


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan chocolate
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:41 pm 
Offline
Nailed to the V
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:21 pm
Posts: 530
Location: Brighton
I've said it before and I'll say it again:

ISIS PRALINOIR

_________________
utilitarian wrote:
I was a militant vegan once. Now, I just eat their food.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan chocolate
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:42 am 
Offline
So Totally Yiffy
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:46 pm
Posts: 36
Location: Edinburgh
jojo wrote:
I hope they haven't changed it but the ingredient list on their website hasn't changed http://www.divinechocolate.com/products/dark.aspx

It's always annoyed me that their dark fruit & nut has butterfat though.


I'll check again next time I'm in. It's probably me being an idiot. :D Thanks!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan chocolate
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:05 pm 
Offline
Smuggling Raisins
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:50 pm
Posts: 330
Location: Brighton, UK
All good shouts! Ta! Will bug them for some more. On the subject of chocolate, and shameless self-promotion, I decided to give someone free Booja-Booja chocolates on my blog. Could it be youuuuuuuu?!?

_________________
Here's to the skinned knees, the sutured hearts; here's to the unhappy endings and all the false starts...
www.vanillasugarblog.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan chocolate
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:05 pm 
Offline
Hip Goiter
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:07 pm
Posts: 8223
Location: Philly/London
Ooh where can I find vegan chocolate eggs?? And praline eggs? Wow!

eta: where in London, not Philly! I'll be back there soon!

_________________
@randibop for le tweets & le pics

Laughfrodisiac


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan chocolate
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:17 am 
Offline
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:56 pm
Posts: 4302
Location: Brighton, England.
RandiJM wrote:
Ooh where can I find vegan chocolate eggs?? And praline eggs? Wow!

eta: where in London, not Philly! I'll be back there soon!


I would think that you could get the Montezumas praline eggs at Whole Foods in Kensington and you can get the Moo Free eggs at Ms Cupcakes store in Brixton.

_________________
Blog: Vegan.In.Brighton
Not-For-Profit Bakery: Operation Icing
Twitter: @veganinbrighton


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan chocolate
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:39 am 
Offline
Inflexitarian
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:53 am
Posts: 755
Location: Emerald City, Oz
This isn't quite on topic, but I had to share: I just tried my first Raspberry Ruffle (which I've been wanting to do since reading about them in your lovely UK thread before the sub-forum era). So thanks — they're delicious!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan chocolate
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:48 am 
Offline
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:24 pm
Posts: 232
Location: London
jojo wrote:
Yes, Plamil! Especially the 40g white bar, I'm kinda addicted to that stuff!

I like Divine, the dark's good for baking but the raspberry & mint are good for just eating.

Have you tried the Montezumas dark chocolate buttons Rachwins? It's the only plain dark chocolate I like. For milk style chocolate the Moo Free bars are great..

I've never seen the raspberry! yum

_________________
http://dreamsarenecessary.blogspot.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan chocolate
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:28 pm 
Offline
Smuggling Raisins
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:50 pm
Posts: 330
Location: Brighton, UK
jojo wrote:
RandiJM wrote:
Ooh where can I find vegan chocolate eggs?? And praline eggs? Wow!

eta: where in London, not Philly! I'll be back there soon!


I would think that you could get the Montezumas praline eggs at Whole Foods in Kensington and you can get the Moo Free eggs at Ms Cupcakes store in Brixton.


I didn't see any in WF on Saturday. Sorry! Maybe they're coming in soon...

_________________
Here's to the skinned knees, the sutured hearts; here's to the unhappy endings and all the false starts...
www.vanillasugarblog.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan chocolate
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:12 pm 
Offline
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:56 pm
Posts: 4302
Location: Brighton, England.
Rachwins wrote:
jojo wrote:
RandiJM wrote:
Ooh where can I find vegan chocolate eggs?? And praline eggs? Wow!

eta: where in London, not Philly! I'll be back there soon!


I would think that you could get the Montezumas praline eggs at Whole Foods in Kensington and you can get the Moo Free eggs at Ms Cupcakes store in Brixton.


I didn't see any in WF on Saturday. Sorry! Maybe they're coming in soon...


It looks like Montezumas actually have a store in London RandiJM, it's at 51 Brushfield Street, Spitalfields, London, E1 6AA. But if you come to Brighton we have a store here too & you can get them in Infinity foods.

_________________
Blog: Vegan.In.Brighton
Not-For-Profit Bakery: Operation Icing
Twitter: @veganinbrighton


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan chocolate
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:13 pm 
Offline
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:56 pm
Posts: 4302
Location: Brighton, England.
Drossie the Raspberry Ruffles are SO good, I love them. I almost wish they didn't sell them in the £1 store because I'm sure that's why I buy too many of them!

clairey.lou you HAVE to find the Raspberry one, it's the hardest to find but it's the best one.

_________________
Blog: Vegan.In.Brighton
Not-For-Profit Bakery: Operation Icing
Twitter: @veganinbrighton


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan chocolate
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:30 pm 
Offline
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:24 pm
Posts: 232
Location: London
jojo wrote:
Drossie the Raspberry Ruffles are SO good, I love them. I almost wish they didn't sell them in the £1 store because I'm sure that's why I buy too many of them!

clairey.lou you HAVE to find the Raspberry one, it's the hardest to find but it's the best one.

I'm thinking of buying some online. I love raspberry!

_________________
http://dreamsarenecessary.blogspot.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan chocolate
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:46 pm 
Offline
Hip Goiter
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:07 pm
Posts: 8223
Location: Philly/London
Thanks jojo!!! Boyfriend actually lives pretty much in Spitalfields, he should have known!! :)

_________________
@randibop for le tweets & le pics

Laughfrodisiac


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vegan chocolate
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:22 pm 
Offline
Making Threats to Punks Again

Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:41 pm
Posts: 1131
Location: Yorkshire, UK
Green & Black's dark chocolate eggs are £6 each at Tesco & they also have them on a BOGOF offer too.

They seem to have gone back to old style labelling. It doesn't have milk as an ingredient any more but says that it may contain traces of milk


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer