| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Veggie Galaxy News
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:14 am 
ugh

Desdemona wrote:
a black pepper biscuit...I have to say that was a biscuit that kicked some serious asparagus, I would like that recipe.

+1 yummy

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:51 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

ndpittman wrote:
See I haven't been wowed by any real food since the tasting dinner. I wasn't crazy for the tofu benedict, meh on veggie burger, and meh on omelet. It was pretty cool being able to order an omelet though. Actually the flavors were OK, but I didn't care for the textures. The butterscotch pudding, chocolate pudding pie, and pecan pie have all been amazing though.

I'm with you, I haven't loved any of the dishes, but the desserts are amazing. That said, I think we're probably headed there for lunch tomorrow.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:47 am 
ugh

The recipe for their mushroom chickpea burger is online: http://projects.washingtonpost.com/reci ... a-burgers/

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:57 am 
used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16

Ohhh thanks for posting! I haven't tried that one yet! I always stick with black bean

The day Joy stops coming out of my anus is the day that something else awesome stops doing whatever it is also doing. - Mars

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:21 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I've soured on this place a bit because they recently served me real cheese on the reuben sandwich. I had already chewed some of it before I realized. This is what bums me out a little bit about places that have both dairy and vegan options, this kind of stuff happens. I would expect them to be more hyper-vigilant about it though, since they cater to so many vegans. A friend of mine was served real eggs in the omelette recently too.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:22 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Oh man! Those stories make me all paranoid, Quarantined! I know that not everyone suffers the same, but I'm so afraid if I ate dairy/eggs now, I would have horrendous stomach problems. And some people have allergies, so it can actually be dangerous to accidentally serve someone eggs or dairy. People with Serv Safe certification are supposed to watch an allergen video that has a really sad story about a woman who died after eating a cookie at a wedding (caterer told her it didn't have nuts).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:15 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I know, I feel like they should be super aware and strict about it but I'm not getting that vibe, they seem sort of blase about it. They need to tighten that up, maybe partly they are still getting used to being open and the fast pace since it always seems crowded in there. Anyway, until then I stick to the burgers and other things that are naturally vegan.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:49 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Yeah, I think they gave me real cheese the first time I went there... ugh.

I didn't realize it until I went back a few weeks ago and noticed that the vegan cheese I ordered on my burger was nothing like the cheese I had gotten when I ordered a grilled cheese (that my also explain why my stomach got angry at me when I had eaten said sandwich...) The burger cheese was definitely the vegan type... it reminded me of the noochy cheese sauce I used to make before Diaya existed.

Despite the mix-up I'll definitely be going back here when I can (especially for the desserts and frappes!) but will be hyper-vigilant about making sure my meal is vegan.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:54 am 
Cranky

Yeah, I don't think I'd trust them to order anything that's supposed to be cheesy. They just don't seem attentive enough to make sure it's right!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:10 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

DreamerSpirit wrote:
Yeah, I think they gave me real cheese the first time I went there... ugh.

I didn't realize it until I went back a few weeks ago and noticed that the vegan cheese I ordered on my burger was nothing like the cheese I had gotten when I ordered a grilled cheese (that my also explain why my stomach got angry at me when I had eaten said sandwich...) The burger cheese was definitely the vegan type... it reminded me of the noochy cheese sauce I used to make before Diaya existed.

Despite the mix-up I'll definitely be going back here when I can (especially for the desserts and frappes!) but will be hyper-vigilant about making sure my meal is vegan.

Do they use a homemade cheese for all the vegan options? It might help to know what the vegan cheese they use looks like, what form it takes- whether it's a sauce, block, etc. or can differ depending on the dish. I don't think I've actually ever had a dish with the vegan cheese so I'm not sure. I wanted to try the mac and cheese, but that just seems too risky given their track record, cause I'm not sure I'd be able to tell right away whether it was vegan or not.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:11 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Dr. Apricot wrote:
Yeah, I don't think I'd trust them to order anything that's supposed to be cheesy. They just don't seem attentive enough to make sure it's right!

They should just just go all vegan and it'd solve the problem- but then again I like taking omnis there and I think if it was all vegan they'd balk at it more.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:13 am 
WELFARIST!

I know that one of the cheeses that they use is Teese.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:58 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Mr. Shankly wrote:
I know that one of the cheeses that they use is Teese.

They should list it on the menu for each particular dish if they're using different kinds of vegan cheeses. Like they could put in small letters underneath the item, "Substitute Teese vegan cheese" or "Substitute homemade vegan cheese sauce" etc. That way people might have an easier time telling right away if the cheese is vegan or dairy when they get the order. Maybe I'll write and suggest that to them.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:51 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

For the most part I forgo their homemade cheeze sauce because it's kind of bland, I think. I like Teese though, so now I'm wondering what has it!

I need to go sometime in the evening for dinner. I just haven't been that impressed with any lunch/brunch foods. Desserts are epic though.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:02 pm 
WELFARIST!

I've had their reuben twice now which has the homemade cheese sauce on it. I love it and can tell that it's not real cheese. This is so weird that people have been having problems, everything I've ordered has been great! If you're looking at the veggie burgers, I definitely recommend the Kendell Sq.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:19 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Mr. Shankly wrote:
I've had their reuben twice now which has the homemade cheese sauce on it. I love it and can tell that it's not real cheese. This is so weird that people have been having problems, everything I've ordered has been great! If you're looking at the veggie burgers, I definitely recommend the Kendell Sq.

yeah if I'd have known it came with a cheese sauce I would've been able to tell right away that it was dairy cheese that I got, but I just assumed it was a slice of teese or something. Love the Kendall Sq. burger too, those onion rings are insane.