| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Making vegan/vegetarian friends
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:38 pm 
Tofu Pup

This is my first post here, so I should say hello to all of you. This looks like a cool board and I bet I'll be posting here a lot.

I am a male 25 year old college student. I've lived in the greater Boston area for a long time now, but I don't have any other vegan or vegetarian friends. I think it would be nice to meet some friends and hang out, enjoy hiking (year round! I don't like to lock myself indoors just because it's chilly), strolling, chats and philosophical debates, and other activities together. While we may or may not have anything else in common aside from veganism, my intuition tells me that most vegans would be pretty nice and easy to get along with!

I enjoy learning new things, working out, and having fun.

Post or PM if you want to hang out sometime. We can chat on skype or through some other means first, if you prefer, and of course if we meet up it will be in a public place, for the sake of safety.

Post subject: Re: Making vegan/vegetarian friends
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:28 pm 
Tofu Pup

Do you have a Co-Op on campus? If so, that's a great place to meet vegetarian/vegan people. If not, try going to some of the local vegetarian restaurants and talk to the waiters. Also talk to the workers at your farmers markets. At least you'll learn about hiking spots and other vegetarian friendly activities/social clubs. then start asking your friends to join you. Even if your non-vegetarian friends my like strolling, chats, philosophical debates and other activities.

I became a vegetarian at 12 and spent the next 20 years as a vegetarian or vegan. Due to health issues, I am now flexitarian; but I have not abandoned my ideals and interests. I'm sure there are plenty of people like me out there (i.e. non-vegetarians with whom you could hang out).

Post subject: Re: Making vegan/vegetarian friends
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:17 pm 
WELFARIST!

I would suggest joining either the Boston Vegan Drinks Facebook group or the Boston Vegan Brunch Facebook group. They have monthly get-together's and it's a really good way to meet a lot of vegans at once, with the purpose of meeting vegans. I would not suggest going to veg*n restaurants and talking to waiters since a.) they're not always veg*n and b.) they have a job to do.