| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Moving to Boston (or surrounding area)
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:07 pm 
Tofu Pup

…at least I am hoping too!
Anyways, hello all! The name is Tara and I am currently living in Toronto and am looking to transfer with my job to Boston.
How veg. friendly is the city and surrounding area? What would you say is the cost of renting a one/studio apartment? Know anyone who rents?
If you have anything you'd like to dish on the area, I'd love to hear it! Also, introduce yourselves, hopefully I can meet you all one day!
Happy new year!

Post subject: Re: Moving to Boston (or surrounding area)
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:17 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Will it actually be in Boston or farther out?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:27 pm 
Cranky

A lot depends on where exactly you want to go. Boston is very, very expensive. The further out, the less expensive (in general), but you'll sacrifice convenience for price. There are vegan and vegan-friendly places, but they're not always easy to get to, depending on where you live. Allston, Somerville, and Cambridge are nice places for vegans to live in terms of food.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:04 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I think Boston and the surrounding area are really veg friendly! We've got some full vegan restaurants and a bunch of veg-friendly ones too! I like it. Since I grew up here, the cost of everything doesn't seem quite as outrageous, but it is expensive. Over all, though, I really like the feel of the place and am super happy here.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:53 pm 
WELFARIST!

In my opinion, Boston is extremely veg-friendly! A lot of restaurants aren't 100% vegan but are very vegan friendly. I really love Veggie Planet and Veggie Galaxy, both of which are vegetarian but can make anything vegan. Also, their baked goods are 100% vegan. There's also some food trucks that hang around certain areas that have vegan options. There's even a cupcake truck (Kickass Cupcakes) that comes around my area a few days a week and usually has at least one vegan cupcake option.

As people have already stated, renting in Boston is pretty pricey and the price decreases the more you move away from the city. Like Dr. Apricot said, you'll be sacrificing some conveniences the more you move away from the city but there are some pockets that aren't too expensive and are still pretty convenient/decent.

Where in Boston do you think you'll be moving to?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:58 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I lived in Somerville, Cambridge, and Brookline, and was working on going vegan when I lived in Brookline. I lived in Washington Square in Brookline and super loved it. I love Coolidge Corner (amazing felafel and Trader Joe's right there) and Brookline Village as well. I started by sharing a flat in Somerville and paying I think $750, then found a (what turned out to be illegal) very large studio in Cambridge for $900, then in Brookline paid $1250 for a one-bedroom. I was originally in between Davis and Porter Squares in Somerville and loved it--excellent bookstore with good coffee and cheap vegan summer rolls at Porter. If you do move to Brookline, you may well see turkeys sitting on people's porches and even blocking the T. They are awesome, but do not mess with them.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:55 pm 
used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16

I moved to Watertown (right next to Cambridge) a few months ago and while I am not technically in Boston, I love it here. I live a 10 minute bus ride to Harvard Sq which has the red line so you can get pretty much everywhere. I pay $875 for a 1 bedroom even though they technically call it a stuio since the only door I have is on my bathroom. The veg restaurants are awesome here (especially the one I manage!!!)

The day Joy stops coming out of my anus is the day that something else awesome stops doing whatever it is also doing. - Mars