| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue May 24, 2016 5:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Roadtrip!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:01 pm 
Saggy Butt

Hi New England I am in you!

Me and my bro are planning to hire a car and go away for a few days. He's been in Boston for the last year or so and has already done New Hampshire / Vermont / Maine so we're looking at Rhode Island / Connecticut / New York State.

So umm, basically the same questions as Mr. Shankly but I didn't want to hijack her thread. We'd be leaving Friday morning and coming back on Sunday. Quite happy to do a long drive. We're both vegan so any good places to visit / stay? We quite like mountains / nature stuff or maybe an animal sanctuary? Any suggestions or ideas welcome.

ps Mr. S you're welcome to come along if you're prepared to risk your life watching two Australians attempt to drive on the wrong side of the road :)

Post subject: Re: Roadtrip!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:34 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

in RI i would say go to Newport and do Cliff Walk and look at the mansions and the ocean. i dont think there are mountains in RI. New England "mountains" are more in NH where i am told we actually have bigger mountains (its been decades since Ive been to the White Mountains) everywhere else they are kind of hills. Maine has a few good ones too.

i know almost nothing about CT (unless you like dinosaur statues, i just was in CT today to take my 3 year old to Dinosaur Place for her birthday.) but ive heard Mystic is nice and has fun things to do.

New York State is pretty big so you may want to narrow that down to a specific area. my in laws live outside of Syracuse so ive been in upstate NY quite a bit. the area where they live is beautiful its all country and just a really nice area but not specifically much touristy stuff to do. my in laws took me to Ithaca once for the day and it's a nice little hippie city with some fun crunchy hippie shops. the Moosewood restaurant is there which is a vegetarian restaurant. the US part of Niagara Falls is in NY state but you're WAY up there on the border to Canada but it is nice. its totally a tourist trap but it's nice to see the falls and you can walk over the border to Canada. obviously bring your passport (if you want to cross the border)

Woodstock animal sanctuary is in NY. ive never been but it seems to be a popular one i see a lot of pics on instagram of various vegans going there. i would like to take my daughter there some day but she's only 3 so im not really wanting to do a 3.5 hour drive one way from where we live with her quite yet.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:59 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Awww, you could have hijacked my thread! I really wouldn't have minded. Where in NY were you thinking of going? A lot has changed since I moved out of the state but I can try to ask my friends what's still there/new. By Friday did you mean tomorrow? If you're doing it this weekend, Sunday is the Mayfair in Harvard Sq (until 6pm).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:50 am 
Saggy Butt

Yes leaving today, thanks for the quick replies! The (rough) plan we've come up with is to drive down through Providence and along the coast and end up in the Catskills. Cliff Walk looks nice so if we get away in a reasonable amount of time we'll try to do that! (We still need to get a car).

We're planning to get back earlyish on Sunday as my bro has a work thing so I can check out this Mayfair thing!

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 8:23 pm 
Saggy Butt

Success! Didn't kill ourselves but did get pretty lost trying to get out of Boston! We only had time for quick stop in Newport and only did a tiny part of the cliff walk but it was real pretty and I'd love to go back and spend some time in RI. We visited Woodstock Animal Sanctuary and did a walk to a waterfall in the Catskills. Hired the car for an extra day because I didn't want to give it back (red Mustang!) and stopped in for food at Vegfest in Worcester on the way back! Yay New England! (And also NY, I dunno what part of America NY is meant to be in?)

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 8:20 pm 
Naked Under Apron

caterpillar wrote:
(And also NY, I dunno what part of America NY is meant to be in?)

Yay for a great visit! Also, to be pedantic, NY is technically in the "Mid-Atlantic" region, but most of us in the northern part of the state think of ourselves as New Englanders.