| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MA Long Term Boarding Needed for Unsocialized 2 year Old Dog
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:17 pm 
Tofu Pup

Hi there, I hope I'm not breaking the rules by posting this. I haven't been around ppk much, I had to re-register to post. Also, I'm crossposted this in the Yard forum, so mods if this is the wrong spot feel free to delete. :)

Here's my situation: I'm subletting a room in an apartment complex with horrible & ridiculous breed restrictions for the next 2 months. My roommates and I are going to be working our butts off to find a new place within that 2 months. The problem is, I can't find anyone willing to take care of Leeloo for such a long period of time. She has behavioral issues. She is completely unsocialized and wants to play with or dominate every other animal she sees. (& She can get LOUD when she freaks out.) As of yet, though, she hasn't hurt anyone. In fact, she got attacked & didn't fight back. She can try to be protective of me, also, but again, so far all bark, no bite.

When I adopted her I had no idea the extent of her behavioral issues, but I can't give her up. How in the world would I find a new home for her anyhow with her issues? I am on social security disability and I can't afford the specialized training she needs, so I've been working with her on my own since I adopted her, but it's slow going, because my disabilities get in the way. :( My low fixed income prevents me from being able to afford the ~$20/day rates which seem to be all I can find for kennels around here, even crappy looking ones. Ugh.

ANYWAY, I wanted to give a little background so folks would understand the HUGE favor I am asking. She is a handful, but there is no way I am going to dump her at a shelter. I need to find someone/someplace willing to board her for approximately 2 months. I can provide food, crate, toys, etc, and I can pay at least $200, possibly more. Oh, she is a 42 pound Mastiff/Bulldog/Daschund mix who looks like a Staffy.

She is unsocialized and will have to be kept separate from any other animals in the house, unless she's on a leash and carefully supervised. She will try to be in charge & pull the dominance crepe with other dogs. I don't think she ever learned how to play, to be quite honest. (Cats should definitely be kept away. She doesn't seem to have a prey drive towards them as much as she thinks they are playtoys. She's been scratched umpty-nine times by my cat but has never hurt him.)

EDIT: *She is good with kids*, she just can tend to get a little excited & she doesn't know her strength, so supervised play only. She is fine with most people but tends to be jumpy and overexcited, which I've also been working on... Also, she likes to bark at stocky, bald or bearded men, or sometimes guys in hats... I'm pretty sure she was abused at some point, & maybe they remind her of someone? She shies away or freaks out if I pick up large objects around her like rakes & stuff. She also thinks she's a lap dog. :]

Close by to Greenfield, MA would be best so I could visit fairly frequently, but even if someone is 2-300 miles away & I can't visit much, what's important is that she can be safe and warm for those 2 months while we find a better place.

I really hope someone here can help me or point me in the direction of someone who can! Thank you all so much!

There are some pics on the lj post here - http://petbulls.livejournal.com/6138873.html (I can't get the bbcode to show pics linked from my lj scrapbook)

P.S. (This was mostly for the livejournal crowd, lol) PLEASE do not lecture me on adopting a dog with behavior problems that I can't afford to get professional help with. I am here to ask for help so I can KEEP her. I love her and she is my baby. I adopted her from the NYC AC&C on the day they were going to kill her, and they gave me no indication to the severity of her issues. I discovered them after we got home. If you know the AC&C, you won't be surprised that they barely evaluated her, or when I tell you they never even looked at her belly & saw her spay scar & tattoo. They made me pay the $150 spay/neuter deposit because she had kennel cough. My vet seriously laughed when I showed her... Yes, I got my deposit back, though it took a while... Anyway...

If you want to adopt her because you feel I'm an inadequate Doggy Mom, by all means, make me an offer, but do NOT condescend or lecture me, that is not what I am here for. I apologize for getting hostile in this P.S., I've just gotten a lot of flack for having the audacity to be poor and yet still go save the life of a dog who turned out to be a little more work than I expected...

So yeah, now that I got that out of the way, lol, PLEASE, can anyone help me, or know anyone who can? Maybe even know of a very inexpensive long term kennel/boarder close enough to Greenfield MA, where I could visit her often. (If I know she's going to a good place with good, loving care, I don't need to visit as much and it doesn't need to be close by. I can drive up to 300 miles to bring her somewhere safe and loving...)

Thank you everyone.

Post subject: Re: MA Long Term Boarding Needed for Unsocialized 2 year Old
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:49 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Sounds like a difficult situation! It's going to be tough finding someone to take on a dog with issues. If you're desperate, you could try explaining your situation to potential kennels and see if they'll give you a discount or let you do a payment plan. I do know some boarding places in MA who are good with animals who have behavioural issues, although their prices are usually more than 20 a day. But if you want their contact info, message me. You can also try contacting local rescues to see if they have any ideas.

Post subject: Re: MA Long Term Boarding Needed for Unsocialized 2 year Old
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:02 pm 
Tofu Pup

raspberrycomplaint wrote:
Sounds like a difficult situation! It's going to be tough finding someone to take on a dog with issues.

I know :( Thank you for the advice, though! :)