| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Suggestions for housing near BU
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 12:53 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

My son is starting grad school at BU in the fall and needs to find an apartment. He has a roommate already, so we are looking for a 2 bedroom near BU or easily accessible by public transportation. He has a car, so will need parking, but doesn't want to have to drive every day. The roommate wants Back Bay, but that really looks exorbitant to me. Accessibility, cost and safety are concerns. Roxbury, Arlington, or Quincy looked promising, but I don't know anything about the city, so it's hard to know where to focus the search. Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions!

Post subject: Re: Suggestions for housing near BU
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 9:08 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I would suggest that Roxbury and most of Arlington are a little too far away (and would probably require him to use buses instead of just the T, which are a lot less reliable). If he finds a place right near the T, Quincy is slightly more accessible, but is still far--and doing anything outside of T hours will add up to expensive cab rides. Back Bay is definitely expensive, and any place they did find would be TINY. I really liked living in Brighton when I moved here 7 years ago, and I hear it's very "up and coming" now, but I bet that also means the prices are up and coming. But if it's at all possible financially/parking wise, Brighton or North Allston are by far the closest places where he may have luck. (Unfortunately they are also very college-centric areas, which may mean that the openings for apartments are RIGHT NOW or not until Sept 1). Many of my friends live/d in Somerville or more northern parts of Cambridge because it is more affordable while still being accessible--there are several ways he could get to BU easily from there.

Post subject: Re: Suggestions for housing near BU
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 6:11 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Thanks, vegetalion. North Allston was suggested to him by a friend. We'll check out Brighton and Somerville, too. He does want to be near the T and not have to take buses. This is the kind of stuff you can't figure out quickly by looking at a map so I appreciate your advice. Yeah, I really want to get this taken care of asap after graduation. We learned the hard way (in Baltimore) not to wait until July.