| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Walnut Grille, new vegetarian restaurant in Newton
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:31 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

For now their site directs to their facebook page, but their menus are there!
http://www.walnutgrille.com/

Anyone been? I only found out about it because this morning a very non-veggie facebook friend wrote a post about how amazing it is. I can't believe I haven't heard of it until today!

Post subject: Re: Walnut Grille, new vegetarian restaurant in Newton
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:39 pm 
ugh

Thanks for posting, I hadn't heard of this place, either. Their menu sounds pretty good, AND THEY HAVE WAFFLES!

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:05 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Oooh! Thanks for the heads up!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:48 am 
Level 7 Vegan

First person there must make a full report!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:24 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

hot damn, it looks good! I want to go but Newton is kind of a trek for me, but I will try to go soon.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:00 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

What what??? I'm on it!

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:52 pm 
used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16

I just got done drooling over the menu! I need to check this place out

The day Joy stops coming out of my anus is the day that something else awesome stops doing whatever it is also doing. - Mars

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:29 pm 
ugh

Here's what Desdemona said about it (in the Brookline thread accidentally):
Quote:
I just posted about this in LisaPunk's fancy restaurant thread, but we went last night and everything was good: for apps we had Gobi Manchurian, these chicken drumstick things (I think they might have been made with Match), and for entrees the polenta napoleon and a fig pizza that was my favorite; we were too full for dessert, but next time for sure! The service was kind of ropey and disorganized, but the place was absolutely packed; they've only been open a few weeks, and it's nice to see them doing such a good business, so I'll give it a month and go back when they've got the kinks sorted out!

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:43 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

b.vicious wrote:
Here's what Desdemona said about it (in the Brookline thread accidentally):
Quote:
I just posted about this in LisaPunk's fancy restaurant thread, but we went last night and everything was good: for apps we had Gobi Manchurian, these chicken drumstick things (I think they might have been made with Match), and for entrees the polenta napoleon and a fig pizza that was my favorite; we were too full for dessert, but next time for sure! The service was kind of ropey and disorganized, but the place was absolutely packed; they've only been open a few weeks, and it's nice to see them doing such a good business, so I'll give it a month and go back when they've got the kinks sorted out!
Whoops (and DUH); thanks for catching that!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:19 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Thanks for reporting back, Desdemona! I was admiring the fig pizza when I looked at the menu...

I'd never heard of Match until just now!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:49 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

my husband took me here last night as like a last date before we have a baby (we also went and saw Jurassic Park 3D rawr!!) and we thought it was good.

we dont really live close to Newton so we dont know Newton at all and it was SUPER easy to get to and no issues parking.

it was CRAZY busy when we got there but we lucked out and were like the first in a long line of people waiting for tables so we only had to wait like 15-20 mins.

the servers were all super duper nice. we were trying to figure out what nationality they were as they all had the same sort of Eastern European/Russian accent.

we got the nachoes made vegan as an appetizer and i dunno if they actually took a long time to come out or it just felt like it because we were so hungry. but once they did come out they were good.

i got a berry blast smoothie but while it was good it didnt have much berry flavor. it tasted like a vanilla milkshake with a hint of berry somewhere deep in it.

for dinner my husband got the Asian tofu and i got the seitan fajitas from the special menu. both were super good. the tofu was marinated in something yummy and served on a bed of some type of quinoa.
the seitan fajitas were so good. they had some sort of ranchero sauce and some avocado sliced on the side.

for dessert we shared a piece of the chocolate strawberry cake which was good. they were out of a few dessert items so it wasnt our first choice but it was still really yummy.

they also fill your water like every 4 seconds. i drink a ton of water so a lot of times at restaurants i end up sitting there thirsty with an empty glass but i dont think i ever managed to empty my glass. they must have been sick of me cause they kept noticing it was half empty. hahaha!!

overall we thought it was great. i wish they had more choices on their menu but maybe that will be in the future.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:30 pm 

LisaPunk wrote:

the servers were all super duper nice. we were trying to figure out what nationality they were as they all had the same sort of Eastern European/Russian accent.

Lisa - they are Romanian. Or at least the one girl I know that works there is, but they all speak the same language. She knows Romanian, Hungarian and Russian I think so the others could be any one of those

I finally got a chance to check this place out last night. I do know the owner/head chef and a few of the employees as we used to work at the red lentil together so I'm probably pretty biased to begin with but holy shiitake, the food was forking amazing! Getting the royal treatment also helped!

I went with my Dad - we arrived around 6pm and the place was packed with quite a few people waiting in front of us. They told us 40 minutes, but we were willing to wait. The owner and I hadn't seen or spoken to each other in like a year and a half but when noticed me standing there he came over to give my dad and I glass of wine while we were waiting to be seated and we started getting caught up a bit. I think our wait only ended up being 20 minutes.

For apps we ordered Coconut Tofu and Drums of Heaven. He also sent out a Gobi Manchurian with them. They were all amazing - my favorite was the coconut tofu.

For my entree I got the "chicken" picatta. I've never had chicken picatta vegan or non in my life so I have nothing to compare it to, but it was crazy good. So lemony and lots of capers! Dad got the Seitan Marsala, also amazeballs.

For dessert we ordered the chocolate souffle with typically comes with a little scopp of (dairy) ice cream, the waitress ( who I know) brought me out my own scoop of their vegan ice cream (from FoMu!) for me without having to ask. The chef also sent out a cinnamon rice pudding to try as well.

I am seriously in love with this place and wish it wasn't such a pain for me to get to using public transportation so I could go all the time.

The day Joy stops coming out of my anus is the day that something else awesome stops doing whatever it is also doing. - Mars

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:19 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

VeganFoodRocks wrote:
LisaPunk wrote:

Lisa - they are Romanian. Or at least the one girl I know that works there is, but they all speak the same language. She knows Romanian, Hungarian and Russian I think so the others could be any one of those

hahaha! that's what my husband said! that's too funny! im like "how on earth do you know what a Romanian accent sounds like as opposed to a different Eastern European accent?" but he totally called it!

they were all super duper nice.
we enjoyed our dinner there!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:59 am 
Level 7 Vegan

We finally went this past Sunday! It was packed, and the wait for our table was going to be 20-30 minutes, but we only ended up waiting 15 before being offered a seat a the bar. (Which I don't think I'd take again, as we were at the end and so peopl waiting for tables were right next to us, and the waitstaff had to pass by us each time they delivered food/drinks.) The waitstaff seemed a little awkward but very friendly, and they didn't bat an eye when confronted with my allergy list--our waitress was really careful about checking everything twice.

I thought the food was good, and the portions were generous (except not much salad dressing for my large Caesar salad [which wasn't pre-tossed]. I'm sure I could've asked for more, but I felt self-conscious). To start, I had afore-mentioned salad and Kevin had the chipotle chicken fingers, which were basically a gardein maybe?) chicken patty cut into strips. They were grilled, but he said they didn't taste seasoned beyond that. They had some dipping sauce with them--maybe that was the chipotle?

For entrees, I had the fig and oyster mushroom pizza, which was awesome and huge, though very salty (salted mushrooms+daiya). I love salt, though, so that was fine. Kevin had the seitan marsala, which was served beautifully and had really garlicky mashed potatoes. We split chocolate cake for dessert, which had some of the best frosting I've had in a long time--and I am usually not a frosting fan.

Overall, it seems like they have a few wrinkles to iron out, but are totally worth checking out. Even though it's pretty out of our way, we'll definitely go back to see how they change as they settle in.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:15 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

vegetalion wrote:
For entrees, I had the fig and oyster mushroom pizza, which was awesome and huge, though very salty (salted mushrooms+daiya). I love salt, though, so that was fine..
Yeah, I loved that fig pizza but would have loved it more with less Daiya. (Or better yet, a different cheese; I increasingly think Daiya has to be incorporated with other ingredients into a saucier application to lose the texture and minimize its overall...Daiyaness. As opposed to just dumping it on top of stuff and expecting it to melt properly, which it just doesn't.) Anyway, I'm now obsessed with the idea of figs on pizza, and I'm thinking about replicating it at home with figs, mushrooms, and cashew ricotta...maybe add some thinly sliced pears, too!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:56 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Desdemona wrote:
vegetalion wrote:
For entrees, I had the fig and oyster mushroom pizza, which was awesome and huge, though very salty (salted mushrooms+daiya). I love salt, though, so that was fine..
Yeah, I loved that fig pizza but would have loved it more with less Daiya. (Or better yet, a different cheese; I increasingly think Daiya has to be incorporated with other ingredients into a saucier application to lose the texture and minimize its overall...Daiyaness. As opposed to just dumping it on top of stuff and expecting it to melt properly, which it just doesn't.) Anyway, I'm now obsessed with the idea of figs on pizza, and I'm thinking about replicating it at home with figs, mushrooms, and cashew ricotta...maybe add some thinly sliced pears, too!

I'LL BE RIGHT OVER

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:39 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

here is a review my husband saw on Boston.com

http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/food/2013/04/22/new-newton-highlands-spot-specializes-vegetarian-vegan-and-gluten-free-fare/kG27ARm0p2OrXrAZKvvXuK/story.html

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:25 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I ate here on Friday and thought it was pretty good. We got nachos as a starter and they were decent, but the cheese was Daiya and I wasn't impressed with how in melted in one big clump that was impossible to separate. So for that reason I thought they were just average, if they used a homemade queso or cheese sauce I would be much more intrigued.

I had the asian tofu and I liked it a lot. My bf had the seitan marsala, which seemed good but had a ton of sauce, not sure if that's normal for marsala as I am ignorant.

Overall, I'd go back to try more stuff.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:45 pm 
Tofu Pup

I had my first dinner there this past weekend - it was excellent and reasonably priced. Here's a brief review: http://veganbostonblog.blogspot.com/201 ... rille.html

Enjoy!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:13 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I went tonight and it was amazing!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:11 pm 

fupapack wrote:
I went tonight and it was amazing!

yay! what did you get?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:54 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Berry cobbler and seitan marsla. My friend got a pizza and rice pudding.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:36 am 
Level 7 Vegan

fupapack wrote:
Berry cobbler and seitan marsla. My friend got a pizza and rice pudding.

Ha ha I love that you list dessert first. Shows where your priorities are!

This reminds me that I have to go back there... maybe I'll make my husband take me for my birthday this week!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:31 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I didn't care for the pudding but I think I may not like rice pudding.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:25 pm 
ugh

I went with fiance last Saturday, it was very tasty! We got a couple specials so I can't name them exactly.

We had:
- Watermelon juice (special)
- Pakora and samosa combo (special)
- Tofu veggie kabobs on rice (special)
- Seitan marsala
- Zebra cake
- Rice pudding

Everything was sooo good! I just ate the kabob leftovers for lunch today (I was getting through a lot of other leftovers first, heh) and it makes me want to go back right away. I kinda want to go and get ALL of the appetizers especially. And I'm impressed with the variety of specials they have!