| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cape Cod activities with a toddler
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:18 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i feel weird asking this since ive lived in MA my entire life but ive spent almost no time on the Cape other than living in Hyannis for one summer in college. my family always went to Maine.

we're going to be spending a week in West Yarmouth at the beginning of June and our daughter will have just turned 1. any suggestions as to what the heck you do with a one year old on the cape?

im hoping the weather will be nice so we can explore the beach.

we were talking about maybe a day trip to the Vineyard but im not sure how exciting that will be for a toddler. plus i have to see how much it would cost to bring our car over otherwise i dont know how we would get around. last time we went we biked but i dont really wanna do that with a toddler

i already checked out the food thread but hopefully there will be a good grocery store near us as i dont want to go out for every meal. however the place we're staying we only have a fridge and a microwave apparently.
boo.

Post subject: Re: Cape Cod activities with a toddler
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:33 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

LP, you're here at the best time!

If I were you I'd head to the Lower/Outer Cape and spend some time in the National Seashore. There's some gorgeous trails, mostly pretty flat, so easy to handle with the wee one. If you like biking, you can rent a bike with a kiddie carrier and cycle the Rail Trail. Head to Provincetown for walks and bikes through the woods and dunes; you can actually get chicadees to feed from your hand in the Beech Forest! Take a walk along the pier to look at the boats - pretty cool if you can ignore the fact that they're - you know - fishing boats :/

Depending how early you're here, my workplace (Center for Coastal Studies in Provincetown) has some fun activities - the tidal pool explorations are popular! Check out our website or FB page for info closer to the time (www.coastalstudies.org and www.facebook.com/coastalstudies).

The Natural History Museum on 6A in Brewster has a great collection of aquariums and also a few reptiles, and a touch tank with local critters.

In Chatham, the Fish Pier usually has a couple of seals hanging around the harbor, they're so flippin cute. Best time to see them is when the day boats come back, they love a snack or 8 from the fishermen.

At the other end of the Cape, there's a cool Children's Museum in Mashpee that has loads of fun activities.
Have you been to Nantucket? You can get the ferry over either from Hyannis or Harwich, everything is within walking distance when you get there. There's also the Cape Cod Maritime Museum which has a kiddie area and a wooden boatbuilding shop.

Re. food - if you're in W Yarmouth you're only a few miles from Trader Joes (Next to the Mall in Hyannis) and there's a Stop and Shop close by too. S and S is doing a much better job for vegans these days :)

If I think of anything else I'll come and post... Happy Planning!!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:45 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

awesome thanks!

we've never been to Nantucket but i guess im not really sure what the heck there is to do there?

i looked at the website for the children's museum in mashpee and i think it might be better for a toddler that's a little older. she'll only be 1 and right now she's not even crawling but maybe if she magically learns how to be walking by then ill reconsider seeing what they have there for the little little ones.

im hoping just the beach will be intersting with a bucket and a shovel!

i was thinking of maybe a day trip to Wood's Hole since ive never been there.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:44 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Beach, bucket and shovel for sure :)
I keep meaning to ask my friends with kids and keep forgetting - will hop on the book of faces right now before I forget.