| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Providence, RI
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 3:50 pm 
Saggy Butt

I just moved here. What should I check out?

Post subject: Re: Providence, RI
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 10:14 am 
So Totally Yiffy

Like No Udder! It's a vegan ice cream truck, and it makes me insanely happy when I come across it! Link: http://www.like-no-udder.com/

I also like Nice Slice. They're a pizza place with vegan options.

Also, if you're looking for a fancy-ish sit-down place, try Duck and Bunny! They have a few vegan options, and are absolutely delicious.

I wish I knew more, but I don't get out to Providence as much as I'd like to.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:13 am 
Flounceiad 2011

Drive north a little ways to Pawtucket and go to the Garden Grille, and then head next door to Wild Flour for vegan baked goods!

http://gardengrillecafe.com/

http://www.wildflourveganbakerycafe.com/

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:39 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

I'm also looking for some recommendations as I'll be visiting my sister in Providence soon. I've gone before, but I was the only veg*n in the family. Now my boyfriend, who is vegan, will be coming and apparently my niece is a vegetarian now, so I think we'll be eating at veg-friendly places all week! I will definitely be hitting up Nice Slice (I've been dreaming about that place) and plan on going to Julian's at least twice (I must have every vegan brunch item on the menu). Wildflower sounds really yummy! I love bakeries, brunch, and vegan comfort food, though I also enjoy fancy or hippy vegan food too.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:59 pm 
Saggy Butt

my best friend is visiting in a couple weeks & i wanna take her to grange. i chatted with the chef there when i first moved up this way & found out that he used to work at horizons (rich landau & kate jacoby's place in philly before they opened vedge... basically this dude worked under the best vegan chefs in philly/possibly the east coast) so i am stoked to check it out. i'm not sure where else we should go though! i've heard good things about keenwah in newport, but i haven't been there yet either

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:26 pm 
Huffs Nooch

We ate at Grange when we were there last year, and it was one of the best meals we've ever had. Actually, we ate really well in Providence. Nice Slice is phenomenal; my boyfriend was born in New York and it really satisfied his (constant) longing for that style of pizza (we live in Seattle, so). I spent so much money at Wildflour, because their selection is HUGE. White Electric has great coffee, great ambiance, and great bagels (and Tofutti!). Veggie Fun was so SO delicious, and they have vegan tempura-fried ice cream! The only place we didn't care for was Julian's - we took a friend and all three of us were considerably underwhelmed, although we weren't there for lunch.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:43 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I hadn't heard of Grange before! I definitely need to check it out!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:31 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

The Grange is so good, they have an attached coffee bar so if you're just looking for coffee and pasteries in the morning it's a great option.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:44 pm 
Tofu Pup

Here are some vegan options (several of them have already been mentioned):

1. Julian's on Broadway - American fare. The menu always has the falafel wrap, vegan steak and cheese, almost vegan black bean burger (contains honey), tofu scrambles (Sunday brunch), and one or two vegan options on the daily specials board. For dessert you can always find one entirely vegan option as well as an ice cream flavor. Menu rotates seasonally. Really good place to go with non vegans, and they have a fantastic beer list! However it's kind of loud and dark in there.

2. Rasoi on Hope Street - Excellent Indian food with vegan options clearly marked. Also has a vegan buffet on the weekends. Seriously, this place is really good. I didn't think I liked Indian food until I went here. I recommend the cauliflower 65, chana masala, and vegetable mango curry.

3. Abyssina on Wickenden (near Brown) - Ethiopian food. The vegetarian plate is entirely vegan with about 6 different menu items (curries, salads, vegetables). If you've never had Ethiopian food you should check this place out.

4. Garden Grille (next to Rasoi) on Hope Street - Vegetarian restaurant. It's a little pricey but the food is good. You'll probably have to wait to be seated, always busy.

5. Wildflour Bakery (next to Garden Grille and Rasoi) on Hope Street - Vegan bakery. Get the raw cheesecake, so good!

6. The Grange - Vegetarian restaurant. Owned by the same people as Garden Grille. Menu is a little vague so be sure to double check if something is vegan. Everything I've had there has been good. Also a little pricey. I heard that the owners of the Grange and Garden Grille (and Wildflour?) are not vegetarian so I don't favor their restaurants over any of the others I have listed. The Grange itself is beautiful with a lovely atmosphere.

7. East Side Pockets on Thayer St. (near Brown) - This place has really amazing falafel wraps. It has a small area to sit down and eat so it's good for lunch or if you are getting something to go. I highly recommend getting a wrap here.

8. Nice Slice on Thayer St. (near Brown) - many vegan pizza options

9. Luxe Burger - has a vegan veggie burger, not one of those gross rubbery brown ones but a thick patty full of veggies that you can see! Good option if you are with people that aren't vegan.

10. Veggie Fun - Pan Asian food. Everything is vegan except for about 3 or 4 items. Lots of options, including dessert! I always get the General Tso's Chickn

11. Like No Udder - If you can find the truck you have to get some vegan soft serve! They will also give you great recommendations for more vegan food in Providence

12. AS220 - I never got a chance to go there when I lived in Providence but I heard it is very good

Bonus: Cilantro, okay this is basically a RI version of Chipotle but it's pretty damn good. They always use fresh ingredients and have really yummy guacamole.

Someone mentioned Keenwah in Newport. I went there once and was disappointed. I think I got a veggie burger with some undercooked sweet potato fries, I can't even remember. But then again, Newport has very few vegan options. If you are in Newport I recommend Diego's, in addition to burritos and tacos, they carry Daiya and can do a vegan quesadilla.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:53 pm 
Saggy Butt

Thanks for the extensive list!

Wildflour, Garden Grille, and The Grange are all owned by the same people. The chef at The Grange used to work at Horizons (Rich Landau & Kate Jacoby's restaurant before Vedge & V Street), which is really awesome. As a Philadelphia expat that is super exciting to me. Also I work at Wildflour now!

PS Dogherty's on East Ave in Pawtucket has a pretty good tempeh white bean sausage!