| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Zhu pan-Asian vegan cuisine in arlington
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:30 pm 
Nailed to the V

Just drove past this on Mass Ave in east Arlington, it's not open yet, but I'm really excited for a new all vegan restaurant!

Post subject: Re: Zhu pan-Asian vegan cuisine in arlington
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:30 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Yes! My neighbor emailed me about this a couple weeks ago to let me know it was happening, but other than the name and the fact that it's vegan, I never found other details. I want them to get a website up nooooow!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:42 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

whaaaaaaat I work in Arlington! !!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:15 pm 
Nailed to the V

fupapack wrote:
whaaaaaaat I work in Arlington! !!

Hey, me too!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:51 pm 
Nailed to the V

http://www.zhuvegan.com
Thai iced tea!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:50 am 
Naked Under Apron

This sounds amazing! Are they open now?!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:41 pm 
Nailed to the V

Not sure! When I drove by Friday and there was signage up, but the windows were papered. Unfortunately it's on the other end of Arlington from where I work and I don't drive by too often, but I may make a special trip this week to see if they're open.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:31 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I called the restaurant this past weekend and got no answer, so I'm thinking they are not open yet. (This was after driving to Allston for Grasshopper only to find that they are closed for vacation. I'm suffering from lack of veggie-meat takeout here.)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:21 pm 
Tofu Pup

I'm super-psyched about this! I love Grasshopper, but getting to it by public transit is an epic trek.

I just learned about this in an email from the BVS...it looks like the opening is gonna be July 25:

Quote:
Boston Vegetarian Society
Speaker / Dinner Event
Saturday, July 25, 2015 at 6 pm
Opening night at Zhu Pan-Asian Vegan Restaurant

An Investigator's True Story
with Sonia Faruqi

Note: The Andover Mass. Whole Foods is screening T. Colin Campbell's new documentary PlantPure Nation tonight, 7/16/15, at 6 pm. Details and tickets here.

Hello all in the Boston Vegetarian Society,

We are so happy to be pairing our speaker event with Sonia Faruqi, author of the just-released and exuberantly acclaimed book Project Animal Farms, with opening night of the new, 100% vegan (and Kosher) restaurant Zhu Pan-Asian. Zhu is at 166 Massachusetts Ave. in Arlington, Mass., two blocks from the Capitol Theater. Details below.

RSVP
Help us give Zhu an accurate head count on their opening night! RSVP on this quickie form.

6 pm - Speaker (FREE) and Book Signing

An Investigator’s True Story

Sonia Faruqi will discuss her experiences investigating animal farms around the world. Over the course of living with farmers, hitchhiking with strangers, and risking her life, she developed surprising insights and solutions relating to animal farms and their impact on the animals, environment, and human health.

Following the talk will be a book signing. $25 (cover price is $28) cash or credit card (no checks.) Look at this page of amazing book endorsements!

BIO:

Sonia Faruqi studied Economics, Government, and Public Policy at Dartmouth College, and graduated with several distinguished awards and honors. She worked in investment banking on Wall St., until a rural vacation volunteering on a dairy farm marked the beginning of a journey that would ultimately wind all the way around the world. She spent four years researching and writing on the secret world of farming and the food industry. Her investigations took her to farms in Canada, the U.S., Mexico, Indonesia, Malaysia and Belize.

7 pm - Social Dinner

Meet others in BVS and help us welcome Zhu to Boston on opening night! Zhu will offer Pan-Asian cuisine that is 100% vegan, Kosher, non-GMO, and no MSG. Zhu has the same owners as Veggie Fun in Providence RI. Order from their menu.

ALL WELCOME - RSVP needed on this little form.
Date and Time:

Saturday, July 25, 2015
6 pm Speaker Presentation, followed by book signing
7 pm Dinner - order from menu

Location (for speaker and dinner):

Zhu Pan-Asian Vegan Restaurant
166 Massachusetts Ave. (two blocks from the Capitol Theater)
Arlington MA 02474

Public Transportation:

Take the Red Line to Harvard Square. Take the #77 Arlington Heights bus. Get off at "Opposite Lake St." Zhu is 2 blocks before the Capitol Theater, coming from Harvard Square.

Street parking.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:58 am 
Nailed to the V

Awesome, thanks for the tip!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:23 am 
Nailed to the V

I got takeout from here last week, it was good! I got a lunch special of sweet and sour soy protein and a thai iced tea. The food was tasty, but the portion was pretty small. It came with miso soup and a tiny spring roll. I'm not sure if I'd think the portion was so small if I wasn't used to Grasshopper's epically large amounts of food.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:42 am 
Naked Under Apron

We went here its second weekend, and it was OK. The service was slow, but I think they were still figuring things out--I'm sure that's better now. I got the age tofu and the sweet-citrus soy protein. My biggest gripe is that the soy protein is OK but has a sort of rubbery texture (kind of seitan-y)--I would have loved just to be able to get it with tofu instead of this "protein." Also, I love the combination of sweet and salty, but their sauces were REALLY sweet. By the time we'd finished our entrees, we were too sugared out to get any dessert. (The desserts looked good though!)

I would try it again, but honestly it's close enough to True Bistro that I'd probably only go if True Bistro was booked.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:52 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

vegetalion wrote:
We went here its second weekend, and it was OK. The service was slow, but I think they were still figuring things out--I'm sure that's better now. I got the age tofu and the sweet-citrus soy protein. My biggest gripe is that the soy protein is OK but has a sort of rubbery texture (kind of seitan-y)--I would have loved just to be able to get it with tofu instead of this "protein." Also, I love the combination of sweet and salty, but their sauces were REALLY sweet. By the time we'd finished our entrees, we were too sugared out to get any dessert. (The desserts looked good though!)

I would try it again, but honestly it's close enough to True Bistro that I'd probably only go if True Bistro was booked.
We haven't been there yet, but I'm not bowled over by the menu (there's always Grasshopper if I'm in the mood for fried "protein," and they also offer actual vegetables), and several other reviews have mentioned the sugary sauces, which is a turnoff since I don't even much care for sweets as sweets. So while I'm always happy to see more vegan businesses, I'm not especially tempted by this one, especially with True Bistro only about ½ a mile away.