| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2 days in Boston, suggestions?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:45 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Hey all, I'll be visiting Boston for the first time and will only have 2 days. I was wondering what you might suggest for some good casual eats. Are there any good places for vegan pho and Banh mi? I also love Bowls. We'll be staying in the south end and will have a car, so if there is parking nearby that would be a plus.
Is there anything I should absolutely not miss in Boston? Favourite shopping, sites?

Post subject: Re: 2 days in Boston, suggestions?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:13 pm 
Cranky

Oh, don't drive, especially if you don't know your way around!

I haven't lived in Boston for a few years, but Grasshopper, FoMu, and True Bistro are all excellent choices.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:17 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

DO NOT DRIVE IF AT ALL POSSIBLE.

I second all dr A's suggestions and add veggie galaxy if you want greasy diner food too!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:59 pm 
Cranky

booberthefraggle wrote:

I second all dr A's suggestions and add veggie galaxy if you want greasy diner food too!

Yes, definitely on Veggie Galaxy.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:24 pm 
WELFARIST!

booberthefraggle wrote:
DO NOT DRIVE IF AT ALL POSSIBLE.

You're all huge wimps! I like driving in Boston! But yeah, take the T everywhere you can.

If it's a nice day, the walk up Mass Ave from the Symphony T stop up past MIT, through Central Square to Harvard Square is pretty nice. That takes you past Newbury Street, which has a decent record store and some other shopping things to poke around at. You can go past the Berklee College of Music and see if there are music students hanging around outside trying to look cool. Cross the bridge into MIT, noting the markings painted there indicating how many smoots long it is. MIT has some nice buildings and stuff to check out. Central Square was once the counterculture center of Cambridge-- the Middle East makes a good falafel sandwich (not sure if it's vegan-- I haven't been there in a while-- but it's worth asking). It looks like Veggie Galaxy is near there too. Harvard Square isn't too far past that-- overall it's a good afternoon's walk if you feel like walking around, and it'll take you through some of the most Cambridgey parts of Cambridge.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:11 pm 

Thanks guys! Ok, I won't drive. Once we get to our destination I'll park the car and take the metro.
Normally I'm not a greasy spoon person, but Veggie galaxy looks like it has all kinds of nice stuff on the menu. All those places look fantastic and OMG FoMU!!! I haven't had ice cream in so long...I will definitely try to make it there.
Solipsistnation, thank you, I think you have just planned out my first day. I was planning on going to harvard square to see the art collections so the walk you suggested sounds perfect. I love walking and observing.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:29 pm 
WELFARIST!

Oh cool. I hope it's a nice day for you-- it used to be my typical afternoon in the city when I had a spare day and came in from Worcester. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:19 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I don't think the driving is that bad either?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:01 am 
WELFARIST!

Yeah, compared to San Francisco? Or the Cross Bronx Expressway? The DC Beltway? That terror highway coming down out of the Rockies into Salt Lake City? It ain't nothin'.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:02 am 
WELFARIST!

...I mean, you do mostly have to navigate through dead reckoning and landmarks, which some people might find confusing...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:07 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

it's less the danger of it, or the annoyance, it's more having to navigate a city PLANNED BY ACTUAL COWS while piloting a metal death machine

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:36 am 

I'm ok with driving in a big city. It's just trying to find parking, not being familiar with the city, I don't know how easy it is to find lots or street parking, or how much. I imaging lots are pricey.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:14 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i think if you're unfamiliar wtih Boston driving in it would be a very daunting task because it's not laid out in any way that makes sense like other big cities and the signage sucks.
and like any big city parking sucks.

the T is so easy to navigate and pretty cheap compared to other big cities.

Veggie Galaxy has really yummy desserts and if you did feel like driving there is a parking lot behind the McDonalds across the street from it though there is also a T stop right down the street from it.

Grasshopper is really good but i think you would have to drive there and no clue where you would park. i always have an issue parking the few times ive been there. i think there is something new next to it where Peace o Pie used to be?

if you do have a car there are places in Somerville and Newton that are vegan like True Bistro and Red Lentil.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:54 pm 

Thanks! I think I will try to take the T for most trips. I was looking at Red Lentil and True Bistro. They look great. It will be hard to choose where to eat, there are so many choices.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:16 am 
Naked Under Apron

If you're going to Fomu anyway, they are just two doors down from Whole Heart Provisions, a vegan bowl place!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:55 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Grasshopper, WHP and FoMu are all one building away from each other so I would make a thing of it in that one spot.

Not that you needed more reasons not to use your car but just to warn you- parking is really difficult to find in Boston and the surrounding areas.

eta- I haven't been to it yet but Wild Rice just opened up in Watertown. http://www.wildricecafe.com/#menu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:49 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Red Lentil (in Watertown) is pretty easy to drive to from the South End and there's usually plenty of street parking nearby.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:13 pm 

I have one more question. It looks like for a couple of nights we might not have time to go out to a restaurant. Do you know of any reliable food delivery services or restaurants in town. I've come across so many of them but don't know how reliable they are. Where do you order from?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:28 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I order from Foodler and GrubHub. Make sure you check off applicable things like "open now" and "delivery". I've forgotten to do that sometimes and have been very disappointment. Were you looking for grocery delivery or just restaurant delivery?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:53 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

vegetalion wrote:
If you're going to Fomu anyway, they are just two doors down from Whole Heart Provisions, a vegan bowl place!

Whaaaaat. I didn't know this existed. It looks good!

I've walked to Grasshopper from the Harvard Ave T stop, and it's a bit of a walk but it's fine if you're up for it. (For Grasshopper and Fomu I totally would be.)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:55 pm 

Mr. Shankly wrote:
I order from Foodler and GrubHub. Make sure you check off applicable things like "open now" and "delivery". I've forgotten to do that sometimes and have been very disappointment. Were you looking for grocery delivery or just restaurant delivery?

Just restaurant delivery, I don't think we have cooking facilities.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:52 am 
Flounceiad 2011

Amy wrote:
vegetalion wrote:

Whaaaaat. I didn't know this existed. It looks good!
Whole Heart is the best; I would seriously eat there multiple times per week if I lived in then neighborhood. Grasshopper is fun and everything, and you've gotta love an old-school Asian vegan restaurant, but if you're already in Allston for FoMu, I'd vote for beautiful, delicious bowls over greasy fake meat any day of the week! (ETA: If FoMu has the Earl Grey Shortbread flavor, I recommend you eat as much of it as possible because OH MY GOD. I don't even really care about sweets, but I would honestly fill a bathtub with that stuff and eat my way through it.)

http://www.wholeheartprovisions.com/#eat-more-veggies

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:57 am 
Cranky

Desdemona wrote:
Grasshopper is fun and everything, and you've gotta love an old-school Asian vegan restaurant, but if you're already in Allston for FoMu, I'd vote for beautiful, delicious bowls over greasy fake meat any day of the week!

Heresy! Everyone needs at least two pounds of No Name.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:53 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Dr. Apricot wrote:
Desdemona wrote:
Grasshopper is fun and everything, and you've gotta love an old-school Asian vegan restaurant, but if you're already in Allston for FoMu, I'd vote for beautiful, delicious bowls over greasy fake meat any day of the week!

Heresy! Everyone needs at least two pounds of No Name.
I am huge heretic when it comes to the No Name; even when I'm in the mood for a ginormous pile of fried stuff I get then sweet & sour sensation, which is basically the same thing, only with tofu instead of gluten. (Although tbh, large doses of gluten don't agree with me, so eating a plate of No Name isn't exactly a recipe for happiness in my case!)