| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Worcester, Boston, Portland ME
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:53 am 
Taco Scientist

Hi y'all, I'm super excited about going to the New England Veg Fest next week! Where should we eat in Worcester we will be there a couple days? Also, we will get in one meal in Boston, breakfast or lunch Monday morning before our flight.

First I'm going to spend a couple days in Portland Maine so any recs for there would be great too. Is Maine even considered New England? I've only been through this part of the country a couple times and I feel like I know it the least so any other tips would be appreciated!

Post subject: Re: Worcester, Boston, Portland ME
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:07 pm 
Saggy Butt

Portland is great and has plenty of vegan options, though we tend to go to the same place every time because it's so good.

-Green Elephant (on Congress Street) is my #1 recommendation. it can be a little pricey, but is definitely worth it for at least one meal, and they have plenty of vegan options.

-The Public Market (Monument Square) has some food stalls on the second floor that offer vegan options for a more average priced meal

-OTTO (also on Congress, I think?) has an AMAZING squash/garlic/greens pizza, you just have to ask them to leave the cheese off

-Flatbread (also pizza - on the waterfront I think? Haven't been to this location but used to work at one in NH!) usually has at least one purely vegan option. Plus they're all about organic/local/food=love, which is nice.

-b.Good is a decent-quality fast food burger place that has at least one vegan option too.

In general the food scene in Portland is pretty great, and you should be able to find other vegan options besides the above ones as well

(source: I grew up 45 mins outside of Portland. Sadly, long before it was this awesome)

ETA: if you need Boston recommendations, let me know what part of the city you'll be in and I can offer some there too. I'm not as knowledgeable about Worcester though, sadly (except for The Loving Hut. Which is enjoyable.)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:34 pm 
Taco Scientist

Thanks gato! In Boston we are just going from Wocester to the airport so location really doesn't matter.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:47 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

do you have a car while you're in Worcester? im not sure what public transport is like there, there is no subway. i assume there are buses but i know nothing about them. other than trying to find parking Worcester is very drivable.

is VegFest at the DCU center? there is a drive thru starbucks near by (sorry that is totally random but it's a highlight for me there are almost no drive thru starbucks in new england).

my most favorite restaurant in the entire world which was a hole in the wall Mexican place closed a couple years ago (it wasnt specifically vegan so but it had good options) so i havent been eating much in worcester lately. there are 2 branches of Loving Hut in worcester. there is a place called Belmont Vegetarian restaurant that is basically a hole in the wall with a chalkboard with food scrawled on it. people love it though the food is supposed to be good. i cant even remember if it has many tables or if it's takeout (???). i attempted going there once and had a massive panic attack and left.

i havent been yet but there is a place called Chickpea in Worcester that is newish. i think it's a bit hard to find (i think it's in the back of some building) and it has i think comfort foodish type stuff.

i think that's it for specifically veg*n places but im sure many places might have options.
Worcester is also the second biggest city in New England so it has a large and diverse population so you will also be able to find various kind of ethnic cuisine. i wanna say Desdemona lives either in or near worcester so maybe she would answer this better.

if you feel like an adventure and have a car you could drive to Framingham there is Greenleaf restaurant. it would be about a 30 minute drive though. not sure if Greenleaf is worth the drive unless you are dying to go to a specifically veg*n restaurant. it would be an easy drive though its RIGHT off the Mass Pike. (its easy to miss though its in a plaza and kind of set back)

and yes Maine is part of New England. fun fact Maine used to be part of Massachusetts way back in the day. Maine is also basically the best place on earth. Portland is great, Green Elephant is there which is either a vegetarian or vegan restaurant. cant remember specifically. went there several years ago was yummy. i <3 Maine.

as far as Boston goes are you driving? taking public transport? im not sure what there is near the airport but in Cambridge there is Veggie Galaxy which is a vegetarian diner type joint so im sure you could get a good breakfast there. if you drive there is a McDonalds directly across the street and behind the McDonalds is a small parking lot. i used to always try to park there when going to shows at the Middle East and TTs (next to Veggie Galaxy). i never recommend people drive in Boston because it's a massive caramel cluster and if you are driving to the airport i would just say drive to the airport and be done with it because that itself is better than it used to be but see above about my anxiety problems. if you are taking public transport Veggie Galaxy is in Central Square and is a quick walk from the T stop

have fun. when you're in Worcester wave hello to me down 495. i live like 15-20 minutes away. i havent been to VegFest in a few years for some dumb reason. i should have planned to go this year because now i am stuck going to a toddler birthday party instead (yikes!)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:49 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

also inside tip Worcester is pronounced wiss-ter or if you wanna be a local wiss-tah.

NOT wor-chester

HAVE A WICKED FUN TIME KID

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:53 pm 
Taco Scientist

LisaPunk wrote:
also inside tip Worcester is pronounced wiss-ter or if you wanna be a local wiss-tah.

NOT wor-chester

HAVE A WICKED FUN TIME KID

We've been practicing! And yeah, we'll have a car!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:06 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

great Worcester is very drivable. parking can be a pain but no different than any other big city. and there's no snow right now so it will be easier to find parking.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:28 pm 
Taco Scientist

I was pretty freaked out when I found out there might be snow IN MAY!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:30 pm 
Saggy Butt

LazySmurf wrote:
Thanks gato! In Boston we are just going from Wocester to the airport so location really doesn't matter.

Great. If you're in the mood for vegan ice cream there's a place in Brighton just of I90 called FoMu, which is excellent.

I would also second the Central Square recommendation. Just a couple doors down from Veggie Galaxy is a little hole in the wall Chinese place called Mary Chung's. It's cash only, but SO GOOD. And if you like hot/spicy food, there are some dishes that will burn your lips off while you keep shoveling it into your mouth. It's an omni restaurant, but plenty of vegan options - we can make a meal out of just the appetizer menu.

Have a great time!

ETA: Also second that driving in Boston and Cambridge is not for the faint of heart, or those with slow reflexes. Driving here is basically a competitive sport, and the mentality of most drivers is "I want my car to be over there, so that is where I am going regardless of obstructions or the fact that this is a one way street in the opposite direction"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:42 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

gato wrote:
-Green Elephant (on Congress Street) is my #1 recommendation. it can be a little pricey, but is definitely worth it for at least one meal, and they have plenty of vegan options.

I would like to extra-echo Green Elephant here! I miss it!
ALSO:

- there are vegan donut options every day at the Holy Donut (two locations, one in the old port that I haven't been to, and one near deering oaks park which is the one I frequent) they do run out quickly though, so go in the morning.

-Local Sprouts has some realllllyyyy good vegan options, plus I like them a lot as a cafe to go hang out in.

-Silly's has some great like... vegan junk food? I don't know how to describe it, but they have a ton of vegan burgers and milkshakes and ridiculous desert things

I lived in portland for a while about 3 years ago but i've been back since and there's more vegan stuff every time!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:12 pm 
Taco Scientist

It's funny cause my friend who lives there told me not to get excited & it wasn't a vegan friendly town. Non vegans are always telling me I'm going to struggle to eat & then I instantly find vegan doughnuts & ice cream.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:08 am 
WELFARIST!

LazySmurf wrote:
Hi y'all, I'm super excited about going to the New England Veg Fest next week!

If you run into Drew, one of the main organizers there, tell him "Nikki and Root say hello." He'll know what you mean. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:09 am 
WELFARIST!

LisaPunk wrote:

I miss Wihstih.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:10 am 
WELFARIST!

LisaPunk wrote:
great Worcester is very drivable.

Just avoid Kelley Square.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:22 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

solipsistnation wrote:
LisaPunk wrote: