| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 238 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Boston people
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:05 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

the pizza was good but I confirmed yet again that I'm not the biggest fan of Daiya on pizza. Great to meet supercarrot and her husband though, they're really nice!

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:28 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

yay! thanks for coming out. it was great meeting you guys. you're both awesome! yay for vegan food conversations!

now on to the food. :-p
that buffalo wing calzone from peace o'pie was REALLY good!!! (mr. carrot wanted to go in and order one to go when we went to grasshopper the next day) the blueberry soda was also awesome! i want to get that down here. (but alas)

we had brunch at true bistro. the bearnaise sauce on the tofu benedict was waaay too lemony. it actually tasted like the tofegg was on top of a lemon poppyseed muffin, and the tofegg wasn't really tofegg. it was just pressed and grilled tofu. the homefries were wonderful though. the sausage scramble and the gardein panini were very good too. (the daiya was cooked to the correct temperature in the panini. it was still solid-ish and not too melty/creamy like it is on a pizza.) and the bread was perfect. super crispy, but not difficult to chomp through.

at grasshopper, the lobster isn't very good. it falls apart, and the yuba at the ends gets ridiculously hard and dry, and the gingery vegetables that accompany it aren't enjoyable at all.
the no-name is suitable. (i don't know why grasshopper gets so much hype. i have had much better here in philly at new harmony.)
the peanutty soba is pretty gross. (the sauce isn't thinned out at all. combine that with the cold soba, and well... it becomes a big mess.) at least they had gigantic servings. (but not so great if you get a yucky dish)

ronnarong was a surprise hit! we had $40 on our voucher to use up, so we ordered a lot, and we were the only people in there on a monday at lunch, so service was top notch. they have a (metered) parking lot, which was a nice change of pace. we asked for everything to be vegan, and the waiter double checked that we don't eat any egg/fish. (they must be new at the whole catering to vegans thing) we had the green papaya salad (nice and light, ever so slightly fruity, seemed more like a solid cucumber but without the cucumber flavor.)
the tofu satay wasn't what i expected (the sauce wasn't very peanutty at all. it was more vinegary, but it worked perfectly! and the zucchini was grilled to perfection.)
thai roll (i totally forgot to ask if they have separate oil for vegan fried things, but when it came out, it didn't taste fishy/meaty) these were lovely. fried perfectly. the sauce was fascinating. it was completely clear and sweet with peanuts on top.
the massaman curry was probably the best entree (at least mr. carrot thinks so.) just the right amount of spices in a coconutty sauce
we also got the pineapple fried rice. it had a really nice smoky flavor, and that combined with the pineapple, it was just really enjoyable.

the only thing we didn't eat much of was the pad thai (not only did it NOT have that tangy flavor specific to pad thai, and what we were looking forward to, but it tasted like fish. we asked if it was the correct dish, and the waiter said "yes, vegan", but we didn't feel safe with it. it's possible they just make it with seaweed, but mr. carrot thought it had more than just a seaweedy flavor. venturing into the realm of actual fishiness.)

we managed to make it to flour. the only vegan things were the chocolate cupcake and the carrot pineapple muffin top. the cake was perfect. even without frosting. it had a crispy top and was sprinkled with powdered sugar and had chocolate chips inside. inside it was nice and airy, punctuated with the chips. nomz! the muffin top however, had great flavor, but it was too sticky. :-( they probably should have let the pineapple drain a little longer, and it'd work much better.

we also made it to wild flour in pawtucket. the pizza twist was delicious. (no fillings, just flavors) after i ordered stuff, i saw a sign on the cash register about honey in their drinks. so i double checked the bakery items. all bakery items are honey-free. got the black forest cupcake (very nice. the cake here was more dense, and the cherry filling was cherry filling alright. delicious! and the frosting was piled high! (i love sugar, but i did agree with mr. carrot that it was a bit much. i wanted more cherry filling!) the candy bar cupcake was good even though the cake was either a little overmixed or too sugary or something. there was just something off about it. the chocolaty frosting though was amaaaaaazing! (and not too much of it either) the pecan bun was perfect. (just what i want in a pecan bun.) and the PB layered brownie thing was good, but the brownie was too wet. :-( if it was a more solid brownie, i'd have said hellz yeah! i also had a choco chip cookie. for anyone who misses the iconic bakery cookie (dry, crisp, sweet) this is where you get it. mmmmm. (i missed that.) mr. carrot thought it tasted a bit minty. maybe. still wonderful.

and our final planned stop was to united BBQ (which so happened to be closed on monday. oops! well, at least i know what i need to do for veganroadtrips.com to avert disasters such as that. at least it was only a few blocks from the on ramp to 195.)

as for tours, taza has made me a cacao nib convert. i always hated the stuff from scharffen berger and whatever larabar uses, but the taza ones were fruity and delicious, and ever so slightly bitter. i also thought i didn't ike any taza chocolate because of the graininess, but it turns out they have 2 processes. the discs are grainy because they're drinking chocolates. oops! the bars are put through a different process that makes them smoother. (now that's the ticket. i mean it's still a little more grainy than a conventional chocolate, but the fruitiness and other flavors outweigh the textural difference.)

sam adams was the only brewery that was open early-ish on monday. harpoon starts their tours later. we got a free souvenir tasting glass to take home. that was nice. and we got to taste a beer that was was in their evaluation stage. it was a less filtered farmhouse wheat beer. it tasted like vegetables. it was really nice.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:44 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

damn you guys got so much done! how was the wrestling?

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:11 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

the wrestling was great! (the seats not so much. there were spotlights aimed right at the nosebleeds, and i had to close one eye while covering the spotlight aimed right at us with my knit cap, but that gave me only a sliver of background between that and the ring, so i had to keep my head pretty much perfectly still.) but yes, the event itself was wonderful. :-p i still think i prefer watching it on TV, because i like listening to the commentators.

as for the subway, we ended up parking at a C stop, and that way we didn't have to do any transferring. yay solutions!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:42 am 
Tofu Pup

Hi Boston people! I'm new to the vegan world (been a vegetarian for almost 2 years, vegan for 2 weeks!) and I'm visiting my brother in Boston this weekend. He lives in Woburn, 20 min north of Boston. I'd love some recommendations for vegan/veg restaurants that I can take a bunch of non-vegs to.

Thanks much for your assistance!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:18 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

travelori wrote:
Hi Boston people! I'm new to the vegan world (been a vegetarian for almost 2 years, vegan for 2 weeks!) and I'm visiting my brother in Boston this weekend. He lives in Woburn, 20 min north of Boston. I'd love some recommendations for vegan/veg restaurants that I can take a bunch of non-vegs to.

Thanks much for your assistance!

True Bistro is a little pricy for dinner, but average-priced for brunch and lunch--I've gone there a few times with omnis and they liked it. If you guys want a fancy place to eat, Elephant Walk isn't veg. but has clearly-marked, tasty vegan options.

I don't mean to sound like I'm self-promoting, but I recently wrote a blog post about my favorite vegan-friendly places to eat here.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:27 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Oh! I'm not a big fan of it personally, but I know Red Lentil is always a big hit with omnivores! And parking is good in Watertown.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 4:20 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

you guys, I started this thread back in December but we never made the trip 'cause our car broke down midway, but now we are coming next week! I wish I had time for a meet-up but I think we're gonna be awfully busy. I'm gonna take my toddler to the Chuhily exhibit while my bf and his sister tour Fenway and I'm really excited about that...also very excited for some calzones from Peace O' Pie!!

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:14 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Audrey wrote:
you guys, I started this thread back in December but we never made the trip 'cause our car broke down midway, but now we are coming next week! I wish I had time for a meet-up but I think we're gonna be awfully busy. I'm gonna take my toddler to the Chuhily exhibit while my bf and his sister tour Fenway and I'm really excited about that...also very excited for some calzones from Peace O' Pie!!

The Chihuly exhibit is AWESOME! Definitely go. Also, the Children's Museum is perfect for toddlers, and they have $1 Friday nights if you'll be here on a Friday (and it's a nice walk to My Thai [vegan] and Chinatown if you want to eat before/after).

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:42 am 
Flounceiad 2011

vegetalion wrote:
Audrey wrote:

The Chihuly exhibit is AWESOME! Definitely go.
This. We went this week and it was just stunning; I'm going again with my sister!

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 9:13 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Agreed regarding Chihuly. I have to get over there. He's one of the few artists I remember from my art appreciation class.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:58 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

we're going to be back up in the area for PAX april 6-8 if anyone wants to haaaaaang. http://east.paxsite.com/

(so you bet your sweet bippy i'm gonna keep my eyes peeled for more boston groupons. speaking of... how's veggie galaxy/planet?)

Today's Google Offer in Boston - 50% off at Veggie Galaxy or Veggie Planet - https://www.google.com/offers/home?st=! ... GOJPTGADHW

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:12 pm 
WELFARIST!

supercarrot wrote:
we're going to be back up in the area for PAX april 6-8 if anyone wants to haaaaaang. http://east.paxsite.com/

(so you bet your sweet bippy i'm gonna keep my eyes peeled for more boston groupons. speaking of... how's veggie galaxy/planet?)

Today's Google Offer in Boston - 50% off at Veggie Galaxy or Veggie Planet - https://www.google.com/offers/home?st=! ... GOJPTGADHW

Why did I not already know about Google Offer? Thank you for sharing it!

I freakin' love Veggie Galaxy and Veggie Planet.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:29 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Mr. Shankly wrote:
Why did I not already know about Google Offer? Thank you for sharing it!

I freakin' love Veggie Galaxy and Veggie Planet.

coolbeaners!

(and if you have twitter, feel free to follow @vegandeals, so you don't miss any others. :-)
there's another deal for organic garden cafe. any opinions? is beverly annoying to get to?

beverly (boston) MA- $15 for $30 Worth of #Raw, #Vegan and Certified #Organic Food from Organic Garden Cafe - http://www.giltcity.com/invite/supercarrot

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:32 pm 

I bought the Veg Galaxy one immediately after hearing about it. Veg Galaxy desserts are so, so good. I'm still searching for my thing that I get when I go there, but everything else has been OK. I'm hopeful that I'll find something on the menu and it'll be my regular order.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:33 pm 
ugh

supercarrot wrote:

Thanks for posting!

ETA: Especially since it sold out right after I bought it :)

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:41 pm 
WELFARIST!

b.vicious wrote:
supercarrot wrote:

Thanks for posting!

Weird. I was able to buy it just now. Thank goodness!

Last edited by Mr. Shankly on Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:43 pm 
Saggy Butt

supercarrot wrote:
Mr. Shankly wrote:
there's another deal for organic garden cafe. any opinions? is beverly annoying to get to?

It's a little annoying to get to. It's maybe 30 mins from North Station via commuter rail, and then probably a 5-10 min walk from the Beverly depot.

That said, the MBTA is currently considering eliminating commuter rail service on weekends, so unless you have a car while you're here, you might not be able to make it to Beverly at all.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:47 pm 
ugh

Mr. Shankly wrote:
b.vicious wrote:
supercarrot wrote:

Thanks for posting!

Weird. I was able to buy it just now. Thank goodness!

It says "maximum purchased", but maybe it is referring to me personally?

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:47 pm 
WELFARIST!

Have you bought a lot from them?

ETA: It probably means just you because there's a limit on 1 coupon per buyer.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:54 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

we will have a car. (but, and this is a lot coming from a jersey driver, boston drivers truly are massholes. i never realised the gravity of the term until i experienced it myself.)

also, yeah, it's 1 per google account. so if you have another google account, go for it. (should i buy two, or are there other places i should absolutely go... other than grasshopper and peace o'pie, since i've been there before)

also, there's a new payment system/loyalty rewards thing called level up.

here's my link if you're interested. (we'll both get $5 credit) https://www.thelevelup.com/join/43950
they also give you some credit to use places when you first go there, which is pretty cool.

upon scrolling through the list (there is no search function, gahh!!!) i see:
if you suggest we not go to any of the following, please let me know.
$2 at lucy's ethiopian
$2 at ronnarong thai tapas (yum!)
$1 at great harvest bread
$1 at true grounds coffee shop
and because there's no search, i have no idea what else might be friendly.

also, is blue nile friendly? it expires before i'll be there, but i'd love to post about it on @vegandeals, but i can't find anything about it being vegan friendly. (that's one of the bad things about ethiopian restaurants, they all have such generic names that it's nearly impossible to find information online about one in boston when there are others named the same thing in other cities.)
http://scoutmob.com/boston/today/2012-01-25

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:19 pm 

I live near Blue Nile and keep meaning to check it out. It certainly didn't seem like I'd go hungry. They had a vegetarian menu section. If I do go soon, I'll let you know.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:23 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

ndpittman wrote:
I live near Blue Nile and keep meaning to check it out. It certainly didn't seem like I'd go hungry. They had a vegetarian menu section. If I do go soon, I'll let you know.

thanks! (don't forget to get your scoutmob deal. it goes away in 5 days i think... unless you have a smartphone, and then it's accessible until it expires.)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:08 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

ok, i made a google map with some notes. (i snooped around the convention center thread) <3 if anyone has anything to add, feel free.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=207 ... 8,0.284958

there isn't any timing schedule for PAX yet, but if anyone'll be around the convention center april 6-8, we'd be delighted to hang. (we might possibly be there more days, we'll see.) and then we'll probably venture past the convention center in the evenings, but there are often events that go pretty late in the day.

i have one friend who lives in brookline, and another who lives in arlington. i don't know if we'll be staying with one exclusively, or if at all. it's still a ways out. i'll keep y'all updated. <3

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:01 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I can't believe I msised the Veggie Galaxy deal! Boo.

supercarrot wrote:
ok, i made a google map with some notes. (i snooped around the convention center thread) <3 if anyone has anything to add, feel free.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=207 ... 8,0.284958

there isn't any timing schedule for PAX yet, but if anyone'll be around the convention center april 6-8, we'd be delighted to hang. (we might possibly be there more days, we'll see.) and then we'll probably venture past the convention center in the evenings, but there are often events that go pretty late in the day.

i have one friend who lives in brookline, and another who lives in arlington. i don't know if we'll be staying with one exclusively, or if at all. it's still a ways out. i'll keep y'all updated. <3

The ICA (Institute of Contemporary Art) is sorta between Flour/Harpoon Brewery, so if you're looking for stuff to do around there, consider adding that.

I'd be into meeting up/hanging out! I've been wanting to meet you foreverrrrr.

OH and if you're staying in Brookline, Genki Ya sushi is my favorite sushi place. They have a lot of really interesting veggie sushi options. And I assume you know about Grasshopper, even though you haven't marked it on your map? (That might be intentional, ha ha.)

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 238 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next