| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Looking for CT vegans for Bake Sale!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:13 am 
Wears Pleather Undies

The world wide vegan bake sale is quickly approaching and I would love to have one in the central CT area, but don't know any other local vegans who could help me out, or where to hold the bake sale. I'm thinking of raising the money for Our Companions, a no-kill animal sanctuary in Bloomfield, CT. But I'm open to other ideas as well.

You can get more information about the bake sale http://www.veganbakesale.org/veganbakesale/index.html, and the dates are April 23 to May 1.

So come on CT vegans, I know there has to be a few more of you out there!!! Let's step up our game and show CT that veganism is yummy and cool, while raising money for a great cause!

Post subject: Re: Looking for CT vegans for Bake Sale!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:16 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

I want to! I was actually just searching for the site so I could send it to some animal rights types at UHa... I've wanted to do the bake sale for years, but didn't know any other vegans to do it with. If you want to do one, I'm totally in.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:22 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

Awesome! do you have any ideas on where we can hold it cuz I'm kind of at a total loss :(

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:40 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

sammiedizzle wrote:
Awesome! do you have any ideas on where we can hold it cuz I'm kind of at a total loss :(

Not a clue.

I gave my e-mail address to a veg group leafletting on campus awhile back, and she just sent me and three other students an e-mail. So I was going to see if any of them were interested, and if yes hold it on UHa campus. Mostly because that's the best idea I could come up with.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:30 am 
Wears Pleather Undies

Well sounds like a good plan to me! Hopefully they respond! In the mean time I think I'll contact the shelter asking permission to use their name and let them know we went to raise money for them and tell them about the bake sale etc. Unless there's another org you had in mind or you wanted to do something for Japan instead? That was my only other idea. or split it 50/50 ?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:29 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

I had no ideas about a cause. Both of those sounds like great ideas to me... I'm most excited about raising awareness about the wonders of veganism to young people, to tell you the truth. As long as the money goes somewhere that will use it for good, I'm cool.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:05 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

Alright I've emailed the shelter, and I emailed my local park and rec dept asking if they had any location ideas for a bake sale. I was also thinking of farmer's markets as an option but the only one around that's up and running during the "official" bake sale week is the billing's forge one in hartford, so I might email them too and see if we could possibly have it there. Nothing else starts til may or june.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:39 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

Wow, look at you go!
Let me know what you find out. It sounds like you've got great plans agoing! Also- let me know if there's anything I can do to help out...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:02 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

Ha yeahh I'm kinda just freaking out as the dates of the bake sale are quickly approaching! eep! But the shelter emailed me back immediately saying they would love to be involved in the bake sale, and sent me an attachment with their logo to use on any of our flyers and said to let them know the date and location so they could promote it on their website! Altho they offered no ideas for a location either.... Perhaps if you haven't heard from any of the veg group people yet you could just contact UHa directly and see if we could have the bake sale somewhere on campus anyway?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:58 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Here's the e-mail from the veg group people:

> Hi Jessie...
> Sorry we missed you on Monday. We had great outreach, and
> a few more names and email addresses!
> I believe we may have an interest in doing something in
> April or May, for a vegan bake sale fundraiser.
> I will need to check with my group. And we would need to
> decide on a location.
> If my group becomes involved, we would most likely want to
> split the proceeds between our group ( to cover gas,
> since we travel to college campuses all over Ct! And some
> $ to Vegan Outreach, the national group that supplies us
> with literature. Have any one else interested? Karen

What do you think? I'm going to write back to her about the shelter. And we could totally do it on UHa campus... I'm a student there, so it shouldn't be a problem.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:51 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

Sounds good! If all else fails I guess we could just have it on the campus ourselves? I kinda don't like the fact that the group wants to take half of the proceeds between themselves tho..

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:14 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

Yeah... I don't feel so good about that either. I don't really know anyone in this group, nor am I involved with them... I understand why they want to put part of the funds towards their own organization if they put on a fundraiser. How do you feel about it? I'd be alright with doing our own bakesale for the no-kill shelter or Japan or both. I'm more interested in spreading the awesomeness of veganism than where the money ends up, to tell the truth.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:13 am 
Wears Pleather Undies

Yeah I just say let's do our own!! :) that way we can just do what we want and we just need to secure the location so we can start promoting it and notify the shelter.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:25 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Sounds good to me! I'll ask around, see what needs to be done to fundraise on campus, unless you have other location ideas?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:56 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

Not really, i emailed the Glastonbury whole foods to see if they'd be interested in hosting or sponsoring the bake sale but i'm not really counting on a response any time soon lol.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:52 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

Whatt i just realized in my last post I typed "l-o-l" (without the dashes) and it changed it to "thats very funny!" after I posted it....awkward....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:07 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

So... I e-mailed about what we would have to do to do this on campus, and I haven't heard anything back yet. If worse comes to worse we'll just go at it and I'll deal with it if anyone says anything.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:06 am 
Wears Pleather Undies

well i just emailed MCC as a backup plan the other day, and they actually responded very quickly giving me info on what to do, so I'd just have to fill out some forms and pick a day (they can only have vendors on wednesdays) the only downside is we'd have to pay for a table, but it's half price since we're non-profit, so $62.50.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:28 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

This may be a stupid question, but what's MCC?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:10 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

manchester community college! I used to go there so it's like the only other place I could think of as a neutral area to bake sale and still reach lots of young adults. I already sent in the forms and money to secure a date cuz i got panicky since its getting so close to bake sale week, even tho I guess it could extend beyond that it probably doesnt matter. But I haven't gotten a response back as to what day we'd get. And i can always cancel that if Uha works out instead.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:09 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

The university continues to be evasive, so I got in touch with a friend who does a lot of fundraising on campus. She said "you actually don't need to notify or ask permission of anyone unless you are doing it in a dining facility (since you could take away their business with your food depending on what kind of food you have. Bake sales are fine, hot chocolate/coffee is not)."

Apparently we can just go at it. Thoughts?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:04 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Just looked at a calendar and had a wake-up call as to (a) how soon this is and (b) that I fly to LA next weekend, so the best day for me would be next Friday morning (May 6th). Let me know what you think. Sorry... my life kind of got a way with me this month, and I'm just now catching up with reality.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:18 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

That's alright! well I kinda already finalized things with doing it at MCC since I hadn't heard from you, only problem is the date I got is Wednesday May 4, but it seems you won't even be in the state that day :( You could always help promote it though! I made a facebook page just now for the event you can invite people to it! http://on.fb.me/gR50IT

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:16 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

I will be! I fly out the weekend after that (May 8th or something.) So I can play! Yippeee!
I'll start inviting people to the event right away.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 6:42 am 
Wears Pleather Undies

Alright so I'm figuring out what I'm going to be baking for the sale and just wanted to see what you wanted to make so we don't make the same stuff! I also have no idea as far as amount of product to bake but I guess we'll just wing it. So far I'm planning on making croissants, maybe two kinds of cookies, and 3 kinds of cupcakes (1 GF kind). maybe brownies and muffins as well?