| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Michigan VegFest! Next weekend!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:15 pm 
Huffs Nooch

VegMichigan is hosting VegFest next Sunday, March 26 in Novi. I don't know what to expect, but Tal Ronnen is going to be there. Is anyone going? Has anyone been? Is it worth the drive to the exurbs?

http://vegmichigan.org/activities/vegfest/index.php

Post subject: Re: Michigan VegFest! Next weekend!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:54 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Oh nice! That looks pretty sweet. I wish it wasn't two hours from me. I'm not sure if I can justify the drive...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:53 pm 
Tofu Pup

James..I've attended vegfest for the past few years and it is worth it . This is a new venue for the 'fest. It was outgrowing the ferndale Highschool, so this should be an improvement. John Salley was there last year too..he is worth it and pretty funny too. He was on Fox2 (myfoxdetroit.com) to talk about the event. See you there :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:50 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

A day late on the response here, but yes, I did go with Ms. Dakini...
I absolutely loved it, yet am not sure how I feel about them integrating the food tables with the other displays. It got congested quite a bit walking up and down the different aisles.
Rangoli had a delicious sample that I wish I coulda went back for over and over again.

I hope you went and enjoyed it. I look forward to it every year and am amazed by how many people were there this year. I hear they ran out of wrist bracelets at the front door!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:45 pm 
Tofu Pup

I did attend and agree about the need to orgavnize differently. I told my friend that all of the food should be in one area and info tables in another. We got caught up in many lines for food and could not get down the aisles. Did not get to try Rangouli as the line was too laong and we were trying to get to a speaker. We were in line before the doors opened and could not find the VegMich table (turned left instead of right) once inside..by the time we got to them they were out of goodie bags. Good for them though, the turn out was GREAT!! Do not think Anderson Windows and some of the other vendors belong though. Re: your name and occupation, p.s. I don't get it??!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:13 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

kidecat wrote:
I did attend and agree about the need to orgavnize differently. I told my friend that all of the food should be in one area and info tables in another. We got caught up in many lines for food and could not get down the aisles. Did not get to try Rangouli as the line was too laong and we were trying to get to a speaker. We were in line before the doors opened and could not find the VegMich table (turned left instead of right) once inside..by the time we got to them they were out of goodie bags. Good for them though, the turn out was GREAT!! Do not think Anderson Windows and some of the other vendors belong though. Re: your name and occupation, p.s. I don't get it??!!

Haha! He works for a certain computer company named after a fruit. I do too. I'm sorry you missed out on the goodie bags. They were not as good as last year if that consoles you in any way. All we received were samples of Parma and a bag of chips and a mini lara bar. Yeah, some of the vendors seemed kind of weird. I was happy Great Lakes Rabbit Sanctuary joined in the fun this year, they are a wonderful org. I agree with you both that the food should have been separate. Still, all in all, I had a great time and I'm happy it was such a success!
Where are you from, kidecat?

PS: Last year I was working at the LUSH booth so it was really fun getting to go and not be working! : )

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:10 pm 
Tofu Pup

Boy, did I have a lot of typos!!! Seriously..my keyboard sticks-Dell. Anyway, I'm originally from Detroit, currently 'staying' in Royal Oak. I love LUSH, but did not stop there either due to the crowds-and my friend was having a hard time with the fragrance. Thanks for the info on the bags. I talked to the Rabbit Rescue-great women with such bunny-loving, kind hearts. I got to see some of the pics of their bunnies and hear stories. I would have liked the animal-rights section up front and center, and maybe all of the animal info in one place, veg info in another, health , food, vendors, etc. have their own sections. I am glad the turn out was so good and the new location was nice too. Are fruit computers really much better for a non-tech person like me?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:56 pm 

Royal Oak is my day-off spot. I like grabbing a book at B&N, getting almond milk lattes at Bean & Leaf and munching on whatever vegan muffins Avalon has supplied. Plus, Inn Season and Cocao Tree Cafe. Oh, man.
As for the fruit computers... there are a few good PC vs. Mac threads on here, but I've had a really positive experience with my MacBook. I bought it in 2007 and it is still running as well as it did the day I took it home. No viruses, no crashes. When I bought it, all I used it for was word processing and web surfing, but as my interests and professional/academic needs have grown, it has kept up just fine. It is still fast, easy to use. Even the battery life is still pretty great. The laptop I had before that was a Compaq and it died a sad death after less than two years when I got a virus and lost everything on my computer. I used a Dell at my old job and I got stuck calling tech support at least twice a month when inevitably something would go wrong. So that's why I love Mac, but it's all about finding what is best for you! : )

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:22 am 
Tofu Pup

dakini: I am in NE Royal Oak, about a 1/2 mile from Clawson, Troy, B'ham. Don't get downtown very often as I am staying at a friend's while trying to recuperate from a medical mishap. Thanks for the computer info..I am looking for a laptop which is light enough for me to lift (I have some physical limitations). Anyway..I went to Leaf and ? last summer just for the vegan muffins from Avalon. I think they may not have been fresh or frozen, as they were really crumbly-we tried to split a couple and ended up with a napkin full of crumbs..nothing but crumbs- albeit tasty crumbs. If you get to Southfield, there is a Place where you can get vegan pizza-all of the crusts are vegan, and they have a load of veggie toppings to choose from. They are baked in a 100% brick oven, and do not use comercial yeast (we got a mini inservice from the manager). They serve a vegan Farro soup, and have a lot of vegetarian options as well. It's called Pizzeria Biga-Biga is the name of the yeast or dough they use. Franklin Rd. Sorry..I really got off topic. Back to Vegfest..have you been to any others out of state? Are you involved with VegMichigan?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:24 pm 

I'm sorry to hear about your medical mishap, kidecat. If there's anything you need, drop me a line. I live in Roseville, I work in Novi, and I often stay in Southfield with my sister, as it cuts my work commute in half. So, I'm a bit all over the place. And as you can see, my guy lives in St Clair Shores, and we're hoping to move out to Warren soon. Well, that was a lot of ramble just to tell you where I live, haha! So yeah, when I stay at my sister's next, I'll hit up that pizza place, thanks muchly for the rec! And speaking of pizza recs, have you been to Amici's in Berkley? They have vegan pesto, yummy breadsticks, and a few vegan pizzas, plus vegan cheese, though I usually just get my pizza with sauce and toppings. And then after pizza, you gotta go to Sugar Kisses just a mile away and get some vegan cupcakes, the owners are super nice.
I haven't been to any Veg Fests out of state... I was going to go to one in Chicago last year, but something came up. Oh yea, we got a kitten, she keeps us busy and we haven't travelled since we adopted her. How about yourself? I'm not involved with VegMichigan, but I like the work that they do so I'm thinking about it. How about you?
eta: About the computers, I think your closest mall is probably Somerset, I'd recommend stopping in at their Apple Store and playing with the Macbook Air and seeing if you like it. It is super light, and overall just a fantastic computer.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:55 pm 
Tofu Pup

OH!!..DelectApple did say he went to vegfest with Ms. Dakini..that would be you..gee a little slow. Anyway..I don't have a kitty right now. We inherited my mom's cat (Kide) when she died, but he died last year..My friend was planning to have reconstructive surgery out of state (ended up having it here) and I ended up losing my independence-so no new kitty yet. Plus my heart was so very broken by the loss of Kide. He was the last bit of my mom left (and a bunch of other stuff that I won't bombard you with right now). I met a lady where I go for occupational therepy who took in a stray cat who was pregnant..found homes for the kittens and planned to have her spayed and released. Three days before her appointment they found out she was pregnant again..7 or 9 kittens. She brought in a picture when they were 2 days old. They looked like little hamsters! She said she is a very good cat mother and lets them hold all of the kittens. She follows her husband all around their makeshift home in the garage. I hope they at least keep the mom. I'll have to try Amici's and Sugar Kisses sometime. There is also a place in Royal Oak called Pizzalica that has a couple of vegan pizzas and vegan cheese and sausage. I had one delivered without cheese, just veggis, and found it a little skimpy on toppings-but they were still new and I have to applaud them for having vegan options. I will check out the store at Somerset..thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:42 am 
ol' garly cooch

huh. i live in a cave. i could have tried to make it up there. i originally hail from the kzoo area.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:12 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Ah, this is very sad that I just heard of this now. I would have went and probably liked it! But thats what I get for never going on The Square part of these boards. Probably because I thought there were just ones for NYC and California and the UK or something.