| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ann Arbor Eats?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:17 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I will be planning a few business trips to the Ann Arbor area over the next few months, any suggestions on vegan fare (just for me) as well as restaurants that are vegan/omni friendly (for the meals with my coworkers)?

Any help would be much appreciated :)

I know I could happy cow this, but it just helps so much more when you have people all together to discuss. It usually helps me to distinguish the gems from the "crowded/popular but not good."

Thanks in advance! It's nice to be the trip planner, it means you can choose where to eat!

Post subject: Re: Ann Arbor Eats?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:57 pm 
Saggy Butt

I love The Earthen Jar, on 5th Street. It's an Indian buffet, and mostly vegan. Everything is very clearly labeled and delicious. And you pay by the pound! Seva is good, too, and certainly less hole-in-the-wall than The Earthen Jar.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:01 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

Ann Arbor has lots of great options. Seva gets mixed reviews but I always enjoy it. The Earthen Jar (as mentioned) is right around the corner and really good. Arbor Brewing Company has some good options. Silvio's Organic Pizza if you need to get pizzas into an office setting.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:39 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Also, Shalimar on Main Street is one of my favorite indian restaurants.

Prickly Pear on Main Street makes a great veggie fajita and the BEST margaritas.

Jazzy Veggie is a new place on Main Street and they do mostly casual sandwiches and stuff...think a bbq chicken made with gardien.

No Thai has amazing thai food, there are a couple locations in town.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:33 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I moved from Ann Arbor just a few months ago and I could cry I miss the Earthen Jar so much. So that is a must.
There is a vegan food cart called the lunch room which is really wonderful.
Jazzy Veggie is ok but I'm never wowed.
Chia Shang is chinese with seitan and tofu options and vegan hot and sour soup which I've never found anywhere else.
Big City Small World bakery has these amazing vegan ding dongs,
and the Cupcake Station on Liberty always has one or 2 vegan flavors.

If you're interested in taking a trip to Ypsilanti (which I highly recommend, about 15 minutes or so out) check out Cafe Ollie, the Golden Wall for chinese with mock meats, College Inn pizza has vegan cheez and veggie pepperoni, palm palace for awesome falafel.

Can you tell I'm homesick and want to eat all my favorite foods??

ericaj - I think No Thai has oyster sauce is almost everything they make, don't they? I asked once and was told that they couldn't do any dishes without it because it's already mixed in. Was he just lazy and not wanting to make my food without it?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:12 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

superherogirl wrote:
Chia Shang is chinese with seitan and tofu options and vegan hot and sour soup which I've never found anywhere else.
This!!! Chia Shang is soooo good. The menu is overwhelming but really awesome Chinese food, and I'm really picky about Chinese food.

superherogirl wrote:
ericaj - I think No Thai has oyster sauce is almost everything they make, don't they? I asked once and was told that they couldn't do any dishes without it because it's already mixed in. Was he just lazy and not wanting to make my food without it?

I would be completely heart broken if that's true!! I had only asked once (because you should only have to ask once right?) but that was quite a long time ago. I don't live there anymore but did eat there last time I was in town. If I make it back again I will have to ask.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:04 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Oh my goodness! Thanks so much everyone!

Sounds like this should be easy! I'm hungry just reading the thread!

I'll let you know what how it goes. :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:24 am 
Huffs Nooch

I agree with everything said. I just wanted to add that Seva is a great choice if you are going out with omni colleagues. It's a nicer restaurant, they serve wine, and they have a lot of "unintimidating" options for skeptical omnis. It's the kind of place I would take my boss or a client.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:49 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

superherogirl wrote:

I would be completely heart broken if that's true!! I had only asked once (because you should only have to ask once right?) but that was quite a long time ago. I don't live there anymore but did eat there last time I was in town. If I make it back again I will have to ask.[/quote]

I only asked once, too, so I guess we can't be sure. A tad bit pricier, but Tuptim Thai on Washtenaw has awesome vegan options!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:51 am 
ol' garly cooch

Another vote for Seva. I'm so glad that place is still around!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:55 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Seconding the Lunch Room. If you're in the mood for a burrito, I'd check out BTB for the Pelon.

Seva is good for omnis. Jerusalem Garden and La Pita Fresh (great, now I'm craving mujadra) are as well, especially for a casual lunch.

College Inn is okay for pizza (even if the sliced Teese dotting the pie looks a little funny, it's just fine) and not as expensive as Silvio's. Café Ollie is definitely worth the trip to Ypsi for soup and sandwich fare (if you're feeling splurgy I recommend their Lemmy—lemon sorbet mixed with lemonade—to go with it).

Not to hijack the thread, but has anyone been to Blue Nile?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:13 am 
ol' garly cooch

Yes, I have been to the Blue Nile. As an omni, though. Very good food, very $$ too. The best coffee I have EVER had. As far as vegan goes, I'm not entirely sure, although I'm learning tons through Kittee and one of my co-workers that many of the veg dishes are vegan by default because of religious traditions. You still will want to ask just to be safe.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:12 pm 
Huffs Nooch

The food at Blue Nile is definitely good, but you're paying for the experience. You sit on stools with the food at knee level, eat with your hands, etc. I would strongly recommend it for a date or if you want to do something different. I was told their vegetarian platter is vegan.

Not sure about the A2 area, but Southfield and Eastern Market both have Ethiopian restaurants that are half the price and just as delicious food, without the ambiance.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:42 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Our favorites are Arbor Brewing Company for the tempeh burger, Jerusalem Garden for falafel, Silvio's for pizza, The Lunch Room for homemade ice cream sandwiches (!!!), and Seva for a lot of options in one place. There is also a Chipotle downtown if you need quick and cheap.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:26 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

In addition to the already lovely suggestions here, BTB Burrito (formerly Big Ten Burrito) in the State/Packard/Hill triangle can make their roasted veggie burrito vegan.

Chia Shiang has two completely separate kitchens, one vegan and one omni. I've never been terribly impressed by the quality of the food there, though.

Raja Rani at William and Division has great Indian food, as does Temptations near Washtenaw and Golfside. Also out Washtenaw, past Palm Palace but before Temptations, is Haifa Falafel. Exotic Bakeries and Syrian Cuisine near Plymouth and Murfin is another hidden delight if you like Middle Eastern.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:06 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Are any current posters in Ann Arbor? Does anyone want to give me a little break from my family this week and get brunch or something?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:18 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Great News! The Lunch Room is opening their brick and mortar location on August 6th! I cannot wait to check it out when I'm home for the holidays. Read about it here: http://annarbor.com/news/the-lunch-room ... kerrytown/

Also, Seva is relocating to the Westside sometime in December: http://www.annarbor.com/business-review ... ng-center/

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:43 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Hi Guys!
I just wanted to say thanks for the tips, everyone. I was in Ann Arbor just for a couple hours the weekend before last. I found everyones suggestions really helpful. I actually like Ann Arbor a lot more than I was expecting. In fact, I wish I had better weather so I could have done more exploring. I guess that just means I'll have to come back in the future ;)
I went to the lunch room and loved it. I'm not exaggerating when I say that it could stand up to some of the best Toronto and New York vegan joints. I had the Macaroni for lunch, it's surprisingly fresh and light (a nice change for the heavy salt bombs that are more common these days). I then went back later to grab take out for everyone I was driving back with. I just got everyone the burrito and wow, that's a hell of a burrito. Packed with fresh flavour. We were all pretty stoked on it.
I actually liked the area the lunch room is in, Kerrytown. I also grabbed a coffee at The Coffee Bar and was pleasantly surprised that they don't charge extra to make drinks with Almond milk.
I also killed some time at the Arbor Brewing company. I just had a couple beers but I did overhear the table next to me talking about the Vegan options. One guys was saying that he wasn't even vegetarian but the vegan burger was his favourite thing on the menu.
Well, thanks again for the tips everyone and I hope I can come for a longer visit in the future!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:06 pm 
Tofu Pup

Hey all, late poster but just have to chime in. I live in Birmingham but LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE A2. Been going for 20 years regularly. Best eats-blue nile, earthen jar, people's food co-op, seva is ok, but too pricey for quality and quantity IMHO. WF food bar is good, of course there is chipotle, other indian, mongolian bbq, haven't been to jazzy veg yet. My fav is probably earthen jar cause I can pig out and its not too $$, but blue nile is taste-eee.