Sun Jul 6 18%  18%  [ 3 ]
Sat Jul 19 24%  24%  [ 4 ]
Sun Jul 20 24%  24%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 17
 Post subject: Meetup: Summer Picnic Potluck
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:39 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Hi Chicago PPKers -

It's been a couple months since our last potluck meetup. To take advantage of the summer season, a couple of us were thinking of doing another Picnic Potluck. We did a small picnic last summer and it was a lot of fun and also serves as a theme in itself :-)

When: Does anyone have conflicts with June 28/29 or July 19/20? 4th of July weekend is also an option, but I imagine all the parks will be pretty full.

Where: I was thinking of maybe Montrose Harbor since they have parking, but am open to other suggestions if you know of a good spot!

Use the poll up above to let me know what dates work for you and I hope to see you soon!

-Diana

Post subject: Re: Meetup: Summer Picnic Potluck
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:46 pm 
Nailed to the V

Either June 28/29 or July 19/20 works for me. I would also be free the 4th of July weekend, but I agree it may be crowded that weekend. And Montrose Harbor sounds good.

Do we want to pick a specific theme, or just go with a general picnic/summer theme?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:56 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

Just a reminder that the 28/29 is Pride, so Lakeview beach locations are probably packed that weekend.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:46 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

EmJaeDee wrote:
Just a reminder that the 28/29 is Pride, so Lakeview beach locations are probably packed that weekend.

Thanks for the reminder, EmJaeDee - I am so out of touch with city happenings!

It looks like July 19/20 is ahead 'in the polls'.

How does everyone feel about shooting for late afternoon that Saturday (around 4pm) so that we miss the hottest part of the day?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:19 pm 
Inflexitarian

I am getting married on the 29th, so the 28th and 29th are both out for me.

I usually don't know my work schedule until the week before, so you should feel free to schedule something for wahtever day works best for everyone else, but I picked Sunday July 6th and Sunday July 20th as I'm usually less likely to be scheduled for teaching paint classes on those days, than on Saturdays, and if I am scheduled I am often done around 4.

I like the idea of a country/region of the world kind of thing. I'm not sure what you've done before but something like Indian, Moroccan, or Ethiopian sounds especially awesome to me.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:45 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

electric_claire wrote:
I am getting married on the 29th, so the 28th and 29th are both out for me.

I usually don't know my work schedule until the week before, so you should feel free to schedule something for whatever day works best for everyone else, but I picked Sunday July 6th and Sunday July 20th as I'm usually less likely to be scheduled for teaching paint classes on those days, than on Saturdays, and if I am scheduled I am often done around 4.

I like the idea of a country/region of the world kind of thing. I'm not sure what you've done before but something like Indian, Moroccan, or Ethiopian sounds especially awesome to me.

Congratulations on your wedding, Claire! That's so exciting :-)

If we did a picnic at 4pm on a Saturday would you maybe be able to come after work? That way you'd almost definitely get to come, since you might wind up having to work on Sunday and I don't think I could go too late on a Sunday.

I think a country/region theme could be fun, as long as it's a country with a lot of picnic-friendly food. Maybe Middle Eastern?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:13 pm 
Nailed to the V

Congratulations, Claire!

4pm on a Saturday would work for me. Maybe July 19 so we all have plenty of time to prepare?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:50 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

OK all - Let's get our calendars marked and SAVE THE DATE for our Picnic Potluck on Saturday, July 19th at 4pm.

That part is official... as for the rest of the deets - what do you all think?

I recently had a picnic at Montrose Harbor with some friends and it was difficult to find parking AND we got rained on. Should we chance it there? Or does anyone know of a better park that would be easy enough for most to get to (either with parking and/or close to public transit)?

Otherwise, there are 4 small but gorgeous parks within a 5 minute walk from my place in Oak Park, and very close to the Green line trains. I'd be happy to host and also to use my place as a rain shelter if needed.

Theme is also still up in the air - ideas on the table include a picnic-friendly country/region, or just treating a 'picnic' as theme enough.

-Diana

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:44 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

OK, seriously minutes after posting that, I received an invite for a family event I need to attend that same day, and only an hour earlier.

Is everyone okay with plan B of Sunday, July 20th then? We can do a little earlier since it's a work night, and this makes my Oak Park proposal an even better option since all parking in Oak Park is free on Sundays :-) What do you think?

-Diana

VeggieNextDoor wrote:
OK all - Let's get our calendars marked and SAVE THE DATE for our Picnic Potluck on Saturday, July 19th at 4pm.

That part is official... as for the rest of the deets - what do you all think?

I recently had a picnic at Montrose Harbor with some friends and it was difficult to find parking AND we got rained on. Should we chance it there? Or does anyone know of a better park that would be easy enough for most to get to (either with parking and/or close to public transit)?

Otherwise, there are 4 small but gorgeous parks within a 5 minute walk from my place in Oak Park, and very close to the Green line trains. I'd be happy to host and also to use my place as a rain shelter if needed.

Theme is also still up in the air - ideas on the table include a picnic-friendly country/region, or just treating a 'picnic' as theme enough.

-Diana

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:47 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

Sunday, July 20 works for me, wherever we'd like to have it!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:15 pm 
Nailed to the V

Sunday, July 20, works for me too! Maybe around 11AM?

Any location is fine with me, as long as it's accessible by CTA, since I am car-less. Maybe we should also check if Rhizo (or anyone else with allergies to cats/dogs) plans to come, as that would affect where we hold it if we do it indoors.

Maybe we could just do a summer/picnic theme this time, and decide on a country/region for the next potluck?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:01 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I don't know if I can make it. My summer schedule is so all over the place that I hate to have you plan around me. So just do whatever you want and then I'll see if I'm available and if the location is cat filled then I'll just skip this one.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:19 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Okay, so Sunday the 20th it is.

I think someone suggested 11am, which works for me. Crazy idea... but what about doing a Picnic Brunch theme?

I'm up for going anywhere if you know of a good park, but otherwise I'd suggest we meet at Scoville Park in Oak Park -it's right in downtown Oak Park just a couple blocks North of the Oak Park Green Line stop and right in front of the Oak Park Library, so there are bathrooms we can use. They also allow dogs as long as they are on leashes. http://www.pdop.org/facilities-detail-page/?fid=163

Rhizo - While my house is indeed cat filled, I'm hoping we won't have to step foot inside of my place since Scoville Park should have everything we need, unless the weather turns bad.

How does that sound?

-Diana

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:35 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

p.s. would any one mind if I posted our picnic in one of the vegan facebook groups I belong to? I would love to expand our vegan potluck crew!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:51 pm 
Inflexitarian

I just got my work schedule for that week and I'm not teaching any classes on the 20th, so I can go any time! I am up for going out to Oak Park. I also love brunch and brunchie foods.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:15 pm 
Nailed to the V

VeggieNextDoor wrote:
Okay, so Sunday the 20th it is.

I think someone suggested 11am, which works for me. Crazy idea... but what about doing a Picnic Brunch theme?

I'm up for going anywhere if you know of a good park, but otherwise I'd suggest we meet at Scoville Park in Oak Park -it's right in downtown Oak Park just a couple blocks North of the Oak Park Green Line stop and right in front of the Oak Park Library, so there are bathrooms we can use. They also allow dogs as long as they are on leashes. http://www.pdop.org/facilities-detail-page/?fid=163

Rhizo - While my house is indeed cat filled, I'm hoping we won't have to step foot inside of my place since Scoville Park should have everything we need, unless the weather turns bad.

How does that sound?

-Diana

That all sounds great to me, Diana!! I'll try to bring Oliver with me too. Now to start searching for picnic brunch ideas!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:53 pm 
Inflexitarian

I am on a quest to find things that I can put some of my less-used herbs in (like lavender, which I have a gigantic, robust bush full of in my garden and hardly ever use) so...maybe I'll make lavender scones or muffins + homemade jam?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:31 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Yay! So its official - Sunday at 11am in Scoville Park in Oak Park. Picnic brunch theme.

Who else is in?

I am thinking of making some sort of tofu quiche and a fruity beverage of some sort. Mike can't make it so it will just be me.

Remember to bring blankets! And post here if you have any picnic supplies you can bring. I have a ton of spoons and paper towels and will bring cups for my beverage.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:10 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

I'm in! Maybe with B, maybe not. He's a wild, unpredictable force. I am unsure what I will bring, more thought is required. See you there!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:23 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

The Sunday forecast is 82 degrees and partly sunny - get excited!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:14 pm 
Nailed to the V

I'm excited!! Oliver, not so much. He still hasn't decided if he's coming.

I think I've finally settled on what to make - one of the Vegan Brunch sausages, and the Vegan Diner orange cinnamon rolls. I'll also bring some paper plates I picked up at Whole Foods today. Should someone bring disposable utensils, or should we each bring our own fork/spoon/knife?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:41 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Pepperpot - your dishes sound amazing!

I am bringing a blueberry hibiscus drink & the classic broccoli quiche from Vegan Brunch.

I picked up a box of disposable forks yesterday and have spoons as well. I'm pretty sure I have a few plastic knives around as well so I think we should be all set for eating utensils :-)

-Diana

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:35 pm 
Nailed to the V

The farmer's market this morning had lots of zucchini, so I also threw together some chocolate chip zucchini mini muffins.

Looking forward to seeing everyone tomorrow!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:14 am 
Smuggling Raisins

I'm bringing blueberry and apricot scones.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:12 am 
Inflexitarian

Sorry, looks like I won't be able to make it today but I hope everyone has a wonderful picnic; everything sounds delicious and I can't wait to see pictures!