| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 584 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: Chicago thread
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:08 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

This sounds like it's too good to be true! I'm so upset they'll probably actually be, you know, charging money for food by the time I get there.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:12 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Hey ya'll, just got back from our FREE Native Foods dinner. I.Feel.Sick. But in a good way! we waited in line for an hour and I was about to chew my arm off, but it was worth the wait. The food was yummy and the staff (including Chef Tanya) were all soooo nice. Here's what we had:

Appetizers:
Nachos - they ran out of the cheese sauce but these were still good.
Saigon Roll - a wrap filled w/tofu, rice, avocado...and stuff w/ a peanut sauce. I really liked this.

Entrees:
Chicago Dip - my honey had this. He wasn't crazy about the pickled relish on top and the roll was really hard to chew. I tasted it and liked it though.
Oklahoma Burger - really good and messy. Next time I would get w/o Daiya (I'm not vegan don't be mad!) only because I thought the flavor of it was overwhelming. Otherwise, really good. Loved the super dilly pickle chips and bacon.

We both had the steamed kale. It was overcooked but to be fair it was the end of the night.

Dessert:
I had the peanut parfait thing and thought it was good. My honey had the chocolate pie and thought it was okay.

Overall a really good experience and there's lots of stuff I want to try. AND IT WAS FREE!!! I still can't believe that, how cool.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:07 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Hey guys, I'm going to Riot Fest in early October to see Danzig Legacy and I'm already planning what I'm going to eat like a dork. It'll be my first time in Chicago so I'm studying this thread. I was wondering, what places have tasty vegan options close to the Congress Theater? I'm sure I can visit the Diner the next day and any other special vegan places but I'm hoping to have some more mixed onmi/vegan-options places ready to grab a quick bite here and there on Friday night.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:33 pm 
Wal-Mart's White Knight

Quarantined wrote:
I'm going to Riot Fest in early October

Descendents! ALL with, err... ALL three singers! The Pavers!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:48 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

sameness wrote:
Quarantined wrote:
I'm going to Riot Fest in early October

Descendents! ALL with, err... ALL three singers! The Pavers!

yeah unfortunately All w/ Scott Reynolds/Dave Smalley is the same time as Danzig or I would go.. I've seen the Descendents reunited before and it would be cool but not sure I'm going to that on Sat. I'm hoping for some good cheap secret shows on Sat, as I bought a VIP ticket for Danzig and that was expensive as hell.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:55 pm 
Wal-Mart's White Knight

Quarantined wrote:
yeah unfortunately All w/ Scott Reynolds/Dave Smalley is the same time as Danzig or I would go.. I've seen the Descendents reunited before and it would be cool but not sure I'm going to that on Sat. I'm hoping for some good cheap secret shows on Sat, as I bought a VIP ticket for Danzig and that was expensive as hell.

Have you seen The Pavers before? I have no idea who's actually in the band anymore, but anything with Scott Reynolds is always fun.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:04 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

sameness wrote:
Quarantined wrote:

Have you seen The Pavers before? I have no idea who's actually in the band anymore, but anything with Scott Reynolds is always fun.

nope never seen them, I would like to but not sure I'm coming in to town on the Thurs. or Friday yet so might not be there on time. Thanks for the rec, I am checking them out as I've never really heard them before.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:39 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

Danzig?! What?! When and where is this going down? I think I'm going to see Dan Vapid & the Cheats (basically the Methadones with a different bass player) and 7 Seconds at the Bottom Lounge on the Sunday of Riot Fest. Should be delightful!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:52 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

TheHarmlessHunter wrote:
Danzig?! What?! When and where is this going down? I think I'm going to see Dan Vapid & the Cheats (basically the Methadones with a different bass player) and 7 Seconds at the Bottom Lounge on the Sunday of Riot Fest. Should be delightful!

it's Friday the 7th at the Congress Theater- full sets of Danzig, Samhain, and the Misfits with Doyle! It's gonna be amazing.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:57 pm 
She's No Isa Chandra!

Anyone going to the Veggie Fest in Naperville this weekend? I'll be there Saturday.
I'm also going to be in Chicago on Monday.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:15 pm 

AutumnVegan wrote:
Anyone going to the Veggie Fest in Naperville this weekend? I'll be there Saturday.
I'm also going to be in Chicago on Monday.

Well shoot, I'm going to be in Naperville Saturday. What is the veggiefest? Is it free?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:17 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'm thinking about going to Veggie Fest. I just wish there were more food vendors and less holistic medicine. Maybe the webpage isn't up to date and there will be way more food? I like the idea of getting some Soul Veg without going to the city.

ETA website says it's free. Here you go
http://www.veggiefestchicago.org/

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:47 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Anybody planning on seeing Feist on November 4th? The tickets are on presale today.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:23 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Quarantined wrote:
Hey guys, I'm going to Riot Fest in early October to see Danzig Legacy and I'm already planning what I'm going to eat like a dork. It'll be my first time in Chicago so I'm studying this thread. I was wondering, what places have tasty vegan options close to the Congress Theater? I'm sure I can visit the Diner the next day and any other special vegan places but I'm hoping to have some more mixed onmi/vegan-options places ready to grab a quick bite here and there on Friday night.

Oh man, there are so many vegan- friendly places in that area now. About a half mile northwest of the congress is revolution brewing which has some vegan stuff on the menu and was started by the person who started handlebar, which is also delicious. About a half mile southeast is irazu, a vegan-friendly costa rican restaurant. North on western, maybe about a mile, is quesadilla, an all vegetarian quesadilla/burrito place that has all sorts of seitan things and daiya. There's also sultans and handlebar near the damen blue line stop (also wealking distance but a slightly long walk.). Or you can get a decent veggie and blackbean spread sandwicch and some vegan desserts at new wave, a coffee shop at the square part of logan square.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:39 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I just got home from a girl road trip to Chicago. You guys. I love your city. The four of us ate at Chicago Diner twice for dinner, and once for brunch. So many reubens and milkshakes! Went to Karyn's on Green for brunch, which was f'ing amazing. Their biscuits and gravy are killer. The chicken&waffles and french toast were also amazing. Also enjoyed a lovely dinner of fried things at Handlebar. And so many coffees from Intelligentsia and Caffe Streets, and once from Wormhole and Fritz Pastry. Oh gawd, the doughnuts. Love love love. Will be back.

Did anyone go to Veggiefest? I heard it was kind of weird.. Lots of meditation workshops and stuff. Not my cup of tea.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:34 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

TheAmazonProject wrote:
Anybody planning on seeing Feist on November 4th? The tickets are on presale today.

How much are tickets?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:40 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

electric_claire wrote:
Quarantined wrote:

Oh man, there are so many vegan- friendly places in that area now. About a half mile northwest of the congress is revolution brewing which has some vegan stuff on the menu and was started by the person who started handlebar, which is also delicious. About a half mile southeast is irazu, a vegan-friendly costa rican restaurant. North on western, maybe about a mile, is quesadilla, an all vegetarian quesadilla/burrito place that has all sorts of seitan things and daiya. There's also sultans and handlebar near the damen blue line stop (also wealking distance but a slightly long walk.). Or you can get a decent veggie and blackbean spread sandwicch and some vegan desserts at new wave, a coffee shop at the square part of logan square.

This is great info, thanks so much! Revolution Brewing sounds like a great option, I will definitely try for that. I looked up that place Quesadilla and it looks fantastic, but it appears to close at 6 on Fridays so I will see if I can eat there earlier or maybe on Saturday. That's a great tip about New Wave- and Handlebar looks great too, will see if I can get over there.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:17 am 
Shopped till she dropped

I had Handlebar for breakfast the other day. Vegan diablos...omnomnomnom!

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:59 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Is there anything at all to eat in the Michigan Ave, or loop, area?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:24 am 

kasiakoz wrote:

I work off of Michigan Ave, so I can help a bit. It's not the most vegan friendly area, but there are spots to eat.

Karyn's Cooked - walking distance, but not quite close enough for a quick lunch.
Mezza - a falafel place in the Nordstrom Mall food court. things are clearly labeled "vegan"
Dao Thai/Star of Siam - basically the same thai restaurant. good about no fish sauce/etc.
PF Changs - yeah...but it's there
Freshii - a build your own salad/bowl/wrap place. Both in watertower and a few places in the loop.
I Dream of Falafel - too far from my office for lunch but I've heard it's great!
Chipotle, Qdoba, Noodles & Co, Panera - not exciting but there.
Hop Haus - a pub/burger place that has a vegan veggie burger.
Oysy Sushi - has a decent amount of veggie maki
Soup Box - pretty much always has one vegan soup option
Hannah's Bretzel - has a vegan sandwich in the loop

That's all I can think of at the moment. If anybody else knows of anything let me know! Always seeking new lunch options.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:37 am 

ifer wrote:
kasiakoz wrote:

I work off of Michigan Ave, so I can help a bit. It's not the most vegan friendly area, but there are spots to eat.

Karyn's Cooked - walking distance, but not quite close enough for a quick lunch.
Mezza - a falafel place in the Nordstrom Mall food court. things are clearly labeled "vegan"
Dao Thai/Star of Siam - basically the same thai restaurant. good about no fish sauce/etc.
PF Changs - yeah...but it's there
Freshii - a build your own salad/bowl/wrap place. Both in watertower and a few places in the loop.
I Dream of Falafel - too far from my office for lunch but I've heard it's great!
Chipotle, Qdoba, Noodles & Co, Panera - not exciting but there.
Hop Haus - a pub/burger place that has a vegan veggie burger.
Oysy Sushi - has a decent amount of veggie maki
Soup Box - pretty much always has one vegan soup option
Hannah's Bretzel - has a vegan sandwich in the loop

That's all I can think of at the moment. If anybody else knows of anything let me know! Always seeking new lunch options.

Very helpful! I am likely going to be taking a 3-day class through the University of Chicago, the building is right off Mich Ave so I was wondering what I would be able to do about lunches.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:22 am 

How about toddler friendly activities in Chicago? Particularly in late October? Good museums?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:48 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Quarantined wrote:
electric_claire wrote:
Quarantined wrote:

This is great info, thanks so much! Revolution Brewing sounds like a great option, I will definitely try for that. I looked up that place Quesadilla and it looks fantastic, but it appears to close at 6 on Fridays so I will see if I can eat there earlier or maybe on Saturday. That's a great tip about New Wave- and Handlebar looks great too, will see if I can get over there.

I'm going too!!! Thanks, EC!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:47 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

one of my best friends was in town and i wanted her to meet my boyfriend, so i suggested we go to el nuevo mexicano! boy, do i wish i'd called ahead to make sure that they could prepare something gluten-free and vegan for me! i looked at the vegan menu and it seemed like they could easily accommodate me, but... nope! i felt like a total jackass because all three of us were STARVING. luckily, we had car access- handlebar saved the day, and my boyfriend got yet another stamp of trusted-friend approval. :) but damn, i was excited about el nuevo mexicano. :\

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:51 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

also, this is random and last-minute, but worth a shot: if anyone is looking for a room in logan square, my roommate and i are seeking someone to take our 3rd bedroom. $350/month. here is the ad: http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/roo/2565579193.html

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 584 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 24  Next