| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NE Oklahoma (Tulsa and surrounding)
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:22 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Hi! New here. First post. I live just outside of Tulsa, OK and wondered if any others were here.

Post subject: Re: NE Oklahoma (Tulsa and surrounding)
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:21 pm 
Tofu Pup

Hi Moni! I'm moving to Jay, OK in a week and was wondering the same thing. I'm sure there are tons of options in Tulsa but I'm betting I'll be packing a lunch for work most days.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:25 pm 

Hi, sdcook! Sorry I didn't see your post earlier. I don't even know where Jay is in relation to Tulsa (isn't that sad!)

I think we Tulsa vegans are clearly on our own out here. But, it's not so bad. I am more of a whole-foods style vegan anyway, so it's pretty easy to find beans, grains, fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, etc at any standard grocery store. Yes, I wind up doing all of my own cooking, and pack meals to take wherever I go. But it keeps me healthy!

What is the nearest larger town to Jay? Because you might be able to find some accidentally vegan choices there.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:51 pm 
Tofu Pup

I live North of Tulsa! Nice to know there are a few other vegans in the area. ;) This thread has been dead for a while, but I end up eating at the Whole Foods deli a lot. And I love Cafe Samana on Brookside!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:06 pm 

Whitley! Nice to "meet" you! Where, north of Tulsa, do you live? (Owasso?) I live on the other side of Tulsa from whole foods, in Broken Arrow, and I very seldom eat out anywhere. I have celiac disease and find that the combo of gluten-free + vegan is very difficult to find out here. That, and I also avoid some common subs like soy & corn because they are genetically engineered. My cranky tummy is very hard to please :( I wish I could dine out more often, but I usually wind up some place like Chipotle's eating black beans, brown rice, fajita peppers, pico, guac, and lettuce. It's nice, but it's boring.

And, like I mentioned to another poster, I do the whole foods thing because it's much healthier and I feel way better for it. It also simplifies the ability to shop at standard grocery stores, rather than pay a premium for luxurious vegan "options." Fortunately, I do like to cook, and I am pretty creative with what I can safely eat. It's a challenge to be sure, but I'm up to it. If you ever just wanna hang out and have a simple meal with another vegan, you're more than welcome to come by. I'd be happy for vegan company and conversation. No one in my family is pro-vegan, so I have very little support for my choices. It would be very nice to know I'm not alone in them. And don't be bashful about meeting up with me. I don't know if you feel as isolated as I do, or if you have the same needs. But if you do, I'm right there for you.

I have never heard of Cafe Samana. I will have to check into it. Hopefully, that could become another option for me, if at all possible. Thanks for the tip.

Be seeing you around, hopefully.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:21 pm 

really quickly, I just had to say that I mentioned cafe samana to my husband and he took me there immediately, lol! Had a great time and a great meal! Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:34 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I live in San Francisco, but am from Tulsa. It's really tough finding places to eat there when I visit, but at least it has some choices.

Hideaway pizza minus the cheese is pretty amazing.
Cafe Samana is great.
Elote has insanely good sweet potato tamales. And is a fun place in general.
Big Al's near the TU campus is nice.

That's all I can think of for now. Hope there will be lots more places and options in the future. Please update as you find more things!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:14 am 

Thanks, Alin!
Now that Hideaway has a gluten-free crust, I can eat there. And you're right, they're pretty amazing! I'm dangerous there! Cheeseless with every veggie known to humankind, and red sauce please! LOL! With all my toppings, it gets really, really expensive. So we can only go there once in a while. But it's sure nice to have that option. and I feel like I should patronize it, so they keep the gluten-free crust option.

I've not tried Elote yet, I'll have to investigate that one next. thanks for the tip.

How's SF? I imagine the entire bay area's a great place for food, vegan and otherwise. It's known for food.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:24 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Joe Momma's has daiya now, though I'm not sure about gluten free options, and Glacier has vegan truffles. Davis at Glacier also knows what vegan means and can point you towards vegan chocolates that aren't labeled as such. Also, Yokozuna will make you a jalapeno-avocado roll if you ask. I love Tulsa!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:35 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I'm in central Oklahoma. It's a bit easier because of the OU campus. Mainly, The Earth Cafe comes to mind. It's not 100% vegan but it's very vegan friendly. It's located on campus corner if anyone wants to give that a shot.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:37 am 
Tofu Pup

Hello NE OK! Well I guess I forgot to look for replies to my post BUT I am in Jay, OK now and have been for a year and a half. MoniDew, to answer your question waaaay late, Jay is right next to Grove, which is on Grand Lake. It is about an hour and a half NE of Tulsa. There are almost zero vegan choices here, except by accident. There aren't even that many restaurants but we have a couple we go to frequently and I can always find something vegan or vegetarian, which is nice. It's also good, in case anyone else is wondering, that Tulsa, Joplin and Bentonville/Rogers AR area are relatively close. Lots of choices there if you're pretty rural like me. I cook a LOT and lately we've been eating lots of wraps and smoothies. Tonight I'm actually making the PPK chipotle mac & cheese recipe. VERY excited to try the cashew cheese thing...

Anyway, thanks for answering me so long ago! Sorry it took me so long to reply :)

MoniDew wrote:
Hi, sdcook! Sorry I didn't see your post earlier. I don't even know where Jay is in relation to Tulsa (isn't that sad!)

I think we Tulsa vegans are clearly on our own out here. But, it's not so bad. I am more of a whole-foods style vegan anyway, so it's pretty easy to find beans, grains, fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, etc at any standard grocery store. Yes, I wind up doing all of my own cooking, and pack meals to take wherever I go. But it keeps me healthy!

What is the nearest larger town to Jay? Because you might be able to find some accidentally vegan choices there.