| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Being vegan in NE Oklahoma - frustration and venting
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:22 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

While dining tonight at my favorite dictate-your-preference Mexican-esque eatery, I ordered my usual veggie bowl. I watched as the next 4 bowls after me line up in queue: chicken, chicken, chicken, chicken. I thought to myself, "geeze that's a lot of murdered birds." I realized that the one measly veggie bowl I had ordered really didn't stop the slaughter of helpless beings as much as I wished it would. I felt a sense of overwhelming frustration, because everything I am doing - as one person - is just not enough. It's not even one damn drop in the bucket towards trying to stop the endless tide of blood being shed everyday on behalf of our myriad eateries and establishments. Tell me it's not pointless. Tell me it's worth it. Please.

Post subject: Re: Being vegan in NE Oklahoma - frustration and venting
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:44 pm 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

it's worth it, even for the principle alone. Rome didn't fall in a day, you know :)

I remember having a huge realisation a few years ago similarly, but to do with energy usage. no matter how many (or..few!) low-powered light bulbs, high efficiency appliances, no heating in winter, etc, I'm nothing almost literally nothing compared to the skyrise in the city that leaves its lights on, and all staff leave their computers on.

you have to just keep doing the best you can.

(if you're anything like me, you have some guilt about taking so long to become vegan. well, imagine how these folks will feel when the penny drops for them!)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:25 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

joshua wrote:

you have to just keep doing the best you can.

This. As long as you keep on keeping on, to me that is enough, because you are doing what is in your power. You cannot change others, unfortunately, but you can control your own choices. You can be proud of your convictions.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:51 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i sometimes feel the same in southern Brazil. looking at fields and fields of cattle. but if I can share something from teaching, you never know who you impact or how your influence will evolve. I've been in touch with old students who were moved by things that I hadn't even realized was important at the time.
Someone may see you ordering and think "hm, maybe it's not so weird" and then do the same the next time. You just never know. and the one chicken that wasn't killed for your lunch probably is pretty happy.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:30 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Even if your one veggie bowl doesn't make a noticeable difference, it still is making a difference. It takes many drops of water to form a river. Be proud of being one drop amongst a vegan river of goodness! That one veggie bowl shows the restaurant that there is a demand for non-meat dishes. Even better, none of your money is going towards supporting slaughter.