| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Road trip ideas in/close to the midwest?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:41 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

My sister-in-law is turning 30 in August, I thought it would be fun for us (her, me, a couple of her friends) to take a road trip because it's more affordable than flying anywhere and it's more fun than just throwing her a party. Here are the stipulations:

1. She's a hair dresser, she can't take a lot of time off of work especially around her birthday because it's still wedding season. So it needs to be a place that's close enough to the middle of Illinois that we can drive there in a day, spend a day having fun, drive back the third day. So no trips to the west coast or even the east coast or Florida. Google maps tells me we can make it to almost the bottom of Mississippi in less than 10 hours, so that's acceptable.
2. A place that has nature AND some kind of night entertainment would be ideal, she likes physical activity but she also likes things like riverboat gambling and bars (not clubs). Neither has to be particularly spectacular since it's only for a day, it just has to be there.
3. Not Chicago or St. Louis as those are both places that she can go to all the time and has, also not quite far enough.
4. I would be the only vegan so it's not a 'hit up vegan places' trip, but if there is any place I should totally avoid suggesting because i'll be eating Subway the entire time, please let me know.

So any ideas?

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

Post subject: Re: Road trip ideas in/close to the midwest?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:02 am 
Taco Scientist

Well you *can* make it to Austin in a day (it takes about 14 hours from spfld) but you would want to spend at least two days here.

Is this in the summer? Milwaukee is really fun if is. I've had tons of fun in Nashville and Memphis too, if you all like live music.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:30 am 

Ha, if I could get someone to drive me to Austin i'd never leave.

Her birthday is August 9th, so yeah, we can go north and it'll be okay. It's tough because she would be happy with so many things, she'd be happy with a day of shopping, a water/amusement park, anything beer related, hiking...i've tried googling 'best road trips' and stuff like that but most of them are like, California! North Carolina! The mountains, any mountains!

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:28 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Minneapolis? I went there for a work trip/long weekend vacation with a friend last year and it was super fun. We ate food, went on a bike ride, walked around, and went to bars. There was good beer there also.

Or be selfish and go to Omaha so you can go to Modern Love? My omnivore friends I stayed with in Omaha in the fall loved Modern Love though so maybe that would be an okay dinner destination? Omaha has lots of tasty breweries and a few fun bars that I went to when I was there in September.

I have put my mouth, this is the best sandwich. Since. I agree Araya monkeytoes too much, especially the lunch buffet. I have no idea of ​​the city center. I mean try headstrong, but I have not made there. --spam!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:47 pm 
Taco Scientist

If you are both into water parks you could drive up to Wisconsin dells!!! Have you ever gone hiking down at Shawnee by Carbondale? It's gorgeous & there are places to swim & it's only a few hurs away.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:34 pm 

Have you been to Wisconsin Dells as a vegan? Would I starve?

If it were my birthday or a generic trip i'd try to swing it towards Omaha, but i'd feel like I was hijacking her birthday if our entire destination was based around some place I want to eat.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:44 am 
Taco Scientist

No I haven't been since I was like 10. But it was so fun, except there was this one "ride" that was like the zipline in American Gladiators and I waited in line forever to try it cause it looked like so much fun and then when I finally got up to the huge, high platform I grabbed the bar and immediately fell because I was a weak child. It was so embarrassing. We were never allowed to eat at theme parks anyway since it was too expensive, we'd have a cooler in the car, you could always do that. Anyway, I remember we also went tubing and it was really fun too.

eta I just checked happy cow & there is a vegan restaurant in town called the cheese factory!!! Now I want to go when I go to Chicago this summer!

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 5:00 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I'd recommend checking out some Door County, WI places. There are several different B&Bs, wineries, etc. It has camping, bars...I really like it. I have been to a few spots and haven't had a problem eating pretty well as long as I ask for things to be sans cheese or whatever.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 8:13 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

Cleveland has the bestest grilled cheese restaurant, with tons of vegan options. There is Sandusky nearby for Cedar Point and a trip out to the islands for nature things, then next stop Cleveland for the best art museum (Nikitee works there!) and of course the Rock Hall (I say meh, but it is popular). And vegan grilled cheese.