| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Twin Cities
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:09 pm 
Tofu Pup

dandykins wrote:
Completely unrelated, but has anyone else noticed that the Triple Rock cook's revenge has kind of gone downhill? I've been going there for almost ten years now and always got the revenge because they're, without fail, delicious, but after a few consecutive ones that were pretty abysmal (reheated boca patties, anyone?) I'm just ordering off the menu.

I don't know the name of the woman with the face tattoos that works there all the time, but I really wish she was in the kitchen more often (even though I'm happy she doesn't have to work the crappy night hours any more.) She's awesome - the food is fantastic when she's there.

We've had spotty luck with the cook's revenge too. We've only been going there a few years but they're pretty unpredictable quality-wise, especially compared with some of the standard menu-items. The first few meals were outstanding, but the last couple were pretty meh. I used to go there after yoga (so around 8 PM), but it was usually on off-nights like Tuesday or Thursday. Incidentally, my wife and I usually were one of maybe 3 tables so we weren't hurting for prompt service or fresh meals, and it was a totally different experience from the brunch rush.

On an unrelated note, has anyone been to Zakia Deli (I can't remember if someone has already mentioned it in this thread and it's been a long day)? It's not billed as a vegan place (there's a fair amount of meat/dairy), but I can order 3-4 different sandwiches and a lot of smaller deli items. Absolutely fantastic Mediterranean fare from a Lebanese perspective.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:22 pm 
Tofu Pup

Just opened....

32nd St and Chicago Ave.....

Modern Times Cafe
closed Monday's open 7am-5pm weekdays...I think they open at 9am on weekends....

Vegetarian, Vegan and Carnivore.

Try the 2012 sandwich.
OMG.

Tons of Veg and Vegan options for breakfast and lunch.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 7:23 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

Reading this post made me want to cry! I miss the Ecopolitan and French Meadow AND The Seward. I spent many a blissful summer at the Seward :'(

AND I'd also like to throw in that I was severely depressed when Arise closed...
ok done reminiscing about living in MPLS now.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 4:52 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Hello lovely Twin Cities folks. I'm visiting Manakato, MN with some family so we can geek out over Betsy-Tacy stuff. We'd like to eat a "nice" dinner in Minneapolis as part of the trip. One of my family members is a bit of a poor sport about going to veg restaurants. I don't mind calling ahead to ask for a vegan option. I was thinking Cosmos, The Independent, or Jasmine 26. Do those sound like good options? Thanks for any advice you can give me!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 5:13 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

mollyjade: Jasmine 26 is very friendly for herbivores and omnivores alike. Yum-yums galore, and carnivorous options as well.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 5:51 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Thanks, wasp!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:45 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

dandykins wrote:
Yeah, maybe that's it, except we order around 6pm or so; think two hours makes that big of a difference? Not like 11 at night or anything. We were there for brunch a few weeks ago (which I generally ADORE) and it was just a mess... took a REALLY long time to order, my food was completely cold and there was a huge wait time between folks who got their food first and last in a four-person party.

I actually just confirmed from the cook himself that he produces shiitake for vegan cook's revenge when business starts picking up because of the increase in food orders. He told me that he makes them really good before and after the dinner rush. Kind of a bummer.

Now go eat some vegan food and don't complain about the world.
-Claire Galant, T.O.F.U Magazine

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:23 am 

just4peas wrote:
Just opened....

32nd St and Chicago Ave.....

Modern Times Cafe
closed Monday's open 7am-5pm weekdays...I think they open at 9am on weekends....

Vegetarian, Vegan and Carnivore.

Try the 2012 sandwich.
OMG.

Tons of Veg and Vegan options for breakfast and lunch.

Awesome! Love this place.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:25 am 

TartyMcTang wrote:
dandykins wrote:
Completely unrelated, but has anyone else noticed that the Triple Rock cook's revenge has kind of gone downhill? I've been going there for almost ten years now and always got the revenge because they're, without fail, delicious, but after a few consecutive ones that were pretty abysmal (reheated boca patties, anyone?) I'm just ordering off the menu.

I don't know the name of the woman with the face tattoos that works there all the time, but I really wish she was in the kitchen more often (even though I'm happy she doesn't have to work the crappy night hours any more.) She's awesome - the food is fantastic when she's there.

We've had spotty luck with the cook's revenge too. We've only been going there a few years but they're pretty unpredictable quality-wise, especially compared with some of the standard menu-items. The first few meals were outstanding, but the last couple were pretty meh. I used to go there after yoga (so around 8 PM), but it was usually on off-nights like Tuesday or Thursday. Incidentally, my wife and I usually were one of maybe 3 tables so we weren't hurting for prompt service or fresh meals, and it was a totally different experience from the brunch rush.

On an unrelated note, has anyone been to Zakia Deli (I can't remember if someone has already mentioned it in this thread and it's been a long day)? It's not billed as a vegan place (there's a fair amount of meat/dairy), but I can order 3-4 different sandwiches and a lot of smaller deli items. Absolutely fantastic Mediterranean fare from a Lebanese perspective.

Zakia Deli is SO GOOD. I live pretty close so it's only a bikeride away. The mujadrah and the burguhl are amazing. I probably didn't spell those right.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:42 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

sarahnorine wrote:
dandykins wrote:
Yeah, maybe that's it, except we order around 6pm or so; think two hours makes that big of a difference? Not like 11 at night or anything. We were there for brunch a few weeks ago (which I generally ADORE) and it was just a mess... took a REALLY long time to order, my food was completely cold and there was a huge wait time between folks who got their food first and last in a four-person party.

I actually just confirmed from the cook himself that he produces shiitake for vegan cook's revenge when business starts picking up because of the increase in food orders. He told me that he makes them really good before and after the dinner rush. Kind of a bummer.

Huh. It didn't used to be that way - just the last year or so. Before we pretty much always got a great cooks revenge, no matter what time we ordered. No crappy reheated boca patties either or bags of chips, still in the bag, plopped on a plate. We hardly ever go anymore, which is a shame - it was seriously my all-time favorite place. They must have a new cook who isn't as comfortable with vegan food as the other cook was - that's the only reason I can think of for chips/boca patties.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:11 am 

Dandykins, have you tried the Depot Tavern? It's connected to 1st Ave. They are my second choice for good greasy bar food, though their vegan options are not nearly as extensive as the T Rocks.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:36 am 

sarahnorine wrote:
Dandykins, have you tried the Depot Tavern? It's connected to 1st Ave. They are my second choice for good greasy bar food, though their vegan options are not nearly as extensive as the T Rocks.

I haven't - we should try that, though I've found downtown Mpls parking to be an impediment for enjoying a downtown restaurant regularly; I wish our transit service was more reliable and frequent. Hopefully that will change with the central corridor light rail!

Grumpy's is usually our standby - the bbq mockduck with tots is pretty good, and they have a decent and regularly changing selection of craft beer. But I loved my Triple Rock cooks revenge - delicious, original and decadent every time!! TR, I *want* to give you my money, but I just need a reason...!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:56 pm 

dandykins wrote:
sarahnorine wrote:

I haven't - we should try that, though I've found downtown Mpls parking to be an impediment for enjoying a downtown restaurant regularly; I wish our transit service was more reliable and frequent. Hopefully that will change with the central corridor light rail!

Grumpy's is usually our standby - the bbq mockduck with tots is pretty good, and they have a decent and regularly changing selection of craft beer. But I loved my Triple Rock cooks revenge - delicious, original and decadent every time!! TR, I *want* to give you my money, but I just need a reason...!!

It's really too bad about this. :( I loved the T Rock until they changed their menu. I had never really had a bad meal there until that happened.
The Depot's food is pretty delish. But yes, I sympathize with your concern about travel. It's pretty craptastic to try to get anywhere downtown without having to pay for parking. What I've always done (cheated!) is parked near the Franklin light rail stop and then taken the light rail in. :D I really hope that they're continuing the development on the Central Corridor LR too because last I heard it was getting the old heave ho. :(

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:11 pm 

sarahnorine wrote:
It's really too bad about this. :( I loved the T Rock until they changed their menu. I had never really had a bad meal there until that happened.
The Depot's food is pretty delish. But yes, I sympathize with your concern about travel. It's pretty craptastic to try to get anywhere downtown without having to pay for parking. What I've always done (cheated!) is parked near the Franklin light rail stop and then taken the light rail in. :D I really hope that they're continuing the development on the Central Corridor LR too because last I heard it was getting the old heave ho. :(

Their menu changed? Wow, maybe it has been awhile since I've been there. We've just been hitting up brunch, since it seems to be more reliable. Great suggestion about catching the light rail at Franklin. I don't think that's cheating at all!!

sarahnorine wrote:
I really hope that they're continuing the development on the Central Corridor LR too because last I heard it was getting the old heave ho. :(

Wow, really? I think the project construction schedule is largely according to plan at this point. There's central corridor construction in DT St. Paul and pretty much all of University Av from Stadium Village to just a bit past Hamline Av, and downtown St. Paul too. If the project is getting the heave ho, they'd better hustle, or it'll be done! Even got funding for additional stops at Hamline and Victoria I think. Construction for University Av between Hamline and downtown St. Paul scheduled for next summer. Maybe I missed something though...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:57 pm 

sarahnorine wrote:
I really hope that they're continuing the development on the Central Corridor LR too because last I heard it was getting the old heave ho. :(

Wow, really? I think the project construction schedule is largely according to plan at this point. There's central corridor construction in DT St. Paul and pretty much all of University Av from Stadium Village to just a bit past Hamline Av, and downtown St. Paul too. If the project is getting the heave ho, they'd better hustle, or it'll be done! Even got funding for additional stops at Hamline and Victoria I think. Construction for University Av between Hamline and downtown St. Paul scheduled for next summer. Maybe I missed something though...[/quote]

Nope, you didn't, hee. :D I just confirmed with the source that told me that it's not continuing production that she was wrong. Sorry about that!It's exciting! I was pretty bummed when she told me it wasn't happening and I was like "well why the hell not? They're already tearing up the streets for it". Didn't make sense. Oh well, good to know!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:06 pm 

sarahnorine wrote:
sarahnorine wrote:

Wow, really? I think the project construction schedule is largely according to plan at this point. There's central corridor construction in DT St. Paul and pretty much all of University Av from Stadium Village to just a bit past Hamline Av, and downtown St. Paul too. If the project is getting the heave ho, they'd better hustle, or it'll be done! Even got funding for additional stops at Hamline and Victoria I think. Construction for University Av between Hamline and downtown St. Paul scheduled for next summer. Maybe I missed something though...

Nope, you didn't, hee. :D I just confirmed with the source that told me that it's not continuing production that she was wrong. Sorry about that!It's exciting! I was pretty bummed when she told me it wasn't happening and I was like "well why the hell not? They're already tearing up the streets for it". Didn't make sense. Oh well, good to know![/quote]

Hey - in a case like this, nice that news like that is wrong! Go light rail!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:53 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Maybe this is a dumb question, but would it be inappropriate to bring kids to Triple Rock?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:38 pm 

I think they're actually fairly kid friendly (for a bar) but it can get crowded on show nights.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:23 pm 

mtpete wrote:
Maybe this is a dumb question, but would it be inappropriate to bring kids to Triple Rock?

I don't think so. They have a kids menu. :) It just gets busy in there after like 6 or 7 so it might be loud is all.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:24 pm 

Cool! And the kids menu has vegan options too?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:24 am 

Hi all, I will be in Minneapolis next week, 15th to 20th. I will be at a conference, but it starts only on Saturday afternoon (my plane arrives Friday at about noon). If someone wants to keep me awake on Friday or do something Saturday morning, let me know! I will sleep at the University campus, and would love to go to the Éthique Noveau shop. I will also definitely need to shop some US stuff, like baking flavors (vanilla extract...), liquid smoke, OREOS! And a set of cups. (BF says I also have to visit the Smitten Kitten shop... isn't that a good way to meet other vegans? Hehe...)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:12 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Barbette in Uptown will make a vegan 4 or 5 course tasting menu on Mondays when they do the Monday prix frix (normally available in vegetarian or carnivore).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:59 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

The Birchwood has one of the best tofu scramble's I've ever had. Excellent xgfx crisp too.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:18 am 

rohai wrote:
Barbette in Uptown will make a vegan 4 or 5 course tasting menu on Mondays when they do the Monday prix frix (normally available in vegetarian or carnivore).

SO GOOD.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:19 am 

DONUT COOPERATIVE IS UP AND RUNNING. Get your vegan donuts now!!

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next