| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 213 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject: Re: Indiana
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:35 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Hey Bloomington folks! I'm going to This American Brunch at the Owlery this Sunday (specials from 10-11am). Anyone else thinking of going?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:00 am 
Inflexitarian

Indy folks: Where you at and what you eatin'?

Here's what I'm digging at the moment:

Flying Cupcake Bakery, Illinois and 56th St. location: They have gobs of vegan, gluten-free cupcakes. I was wary of the gluten-free part, but the one I had (cinnamon toast cupcake) quite yummy. Aside from the fact that they're a bit flat on top, I would never guess that they're gluten-free. With tax, be prepared to pay around $5 for your jumbo cupcake (and they only had jumbo size when I went in). These are a *way* better option than Parcha's, IMHO.

Twenty Tap: Not a lot of vegan options, but the tofu banh mi is ace.

So Bro Cafe: They have many more and much yummier vegan options than they used to. I particularly like their tofu scramble, which comes with plenty of tofu, fried potatoes, and veggies, smothered in an out-of-this-world-yummy, spicy cream sauce. Their kale salad is also great thanks to a light, tasty dressing.

Seasons 52: They don't have a ton of vegan options, but what they do have is very tasty. When I went (for my birthday!), I had a sampler platter type thing with cedar-smoked tofu, roasted tomato and portabello, veggie tacos, and quinoa salad. It was fabulous and totally worth the price tag. Good place to go when you want fine dining that's also omni-friendly.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:05 am 
Wears Pleather Undies

Spice Nation in Lafayette Square is very vegan friendly, a vegan & vegetarian only Indian restaurant. It even offers a 100% vegan Indian buffet every Thursday night.

Thai Taste also offers a completely vegan buffet once a month, but I am spacing on the exact day/month.

The Duos food truck typically offers a tasty, locally-sourced vegan option, or will switch out meat with tofu if asked.

WB Pizza offers a few vegan options, clearly marked, one of the few Indy pizza places that does.

Also, Three Sisters's tofu breakfast burrito with amazing homemade salsa and guac...it could feed 3 people! I definitely love their Powerhouse Potatoes (minus the cheese), and they offer a handful of vegan salads & sandwiches for lunch time.

I agree with all of quark's suggestions. Twenty Tap is great...don't forget to order the vegan aioli for your fries!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:54 pm 
Inflexitarian

Hi!

Wow, I didn't know that about Twenty Tap! Can't wait to go again....

Yes, Spice Nation (formerly Passage to India, formerly Udupi) is the *best*! This is by far the most vegan-friendly incarnation of the restaurant. I haven't made it to the all-vegan buffet yet, but they have tons of vegan options on the regular buffet.

I'll have to try that burrito at Three Sisters... usually I just get their scrambled tofu, and it's pretty uninventive, sad, and bland (I'm making it sound worse than it actually is... it's fine).

What's vegan at WB besides plain veggie pizza with no cheese? I dig Mellow Mushroom for pizza since they have vegan cheese and bbq tofu, but WB's pizza seems boring to me.

Sadly, I never make it over to Thai Taste because I live on the West Side. I'm a big fan of Thai Cafe, though, and occasionally make it over to Jasmine on 96th st, which has an amazing pad thai... sadly, *all* their creamy curries have dairy milk in addition to coconut milk, which is so unnecessary and sad.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:49 am 
Wears Pleather Undies

quark wrote:

What's vegan at WB besides plain veggie pizza with no cheese? I dig Mellow Mushroom for pizza since they have vegan cheese and bbq tofu, but WB's pizza seems boring to me.

Nothing extraordinarily creative; just vegan garlic bread (w. faux-butter dipping sauce), pasta salad, stromboli, Chicago style pizza, olive loaf, flatbread....I'm reading from the menu at this point.

They do have vegan cheese now (Teese), if you request it, or do a the create-your-own option. I guess the owner's wife is vegan, so he's more open-minded and courteous over including items or honoring special requests than many places.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:17 am 
Inflexitarian

Deep dish vegan pizza? I need to try that!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:13 am 
Cranky

Indy VegFest is tomorrow! Anyone going? I'll be there with my bf.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:37 am 

I'm going! Probably solo, though I'd love some company! Got my tickets, looking forward to stuffing my face :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:56 am 
Inflexitarian

I'm probably going with my spouse. He's all "we need to work on the house," but I'm like "VEGFEST!!!!" and I think I'll win.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:58 pm 

Hello! VegFest was fun. Hope you guys were able to make it. Some yummy food, for sure (Spice Nation will always have my heart).

I'm part of the Indy Veggie Meetup group and I've created an event: an ice cream/froyo bicycle crawl. Just in time for the last gasp of summer :)

I'd love to see some PPKers there and it should be a fun way to sample vegan froyo (ugh to that name) back to back to back and see what's the best!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:25 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

So, we decided on a whim last night to go to Bloomington this morning for brunch at The Owlery and goodies from Rainbow Bakery. Yum on both counts, and very worth the 2-hour drive! If we were closer, I think we'd be regulars.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 2:42 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

Three Carrots is supposed to be opening up a stand at the downtown Indy City Market in July (hopefully). Solely vegan & vegetarian, from the Killer Tofu guy who makes those yummy seitan Hi-Fives at Sinking Ship (drool, spicy Korean version) and elsewhere.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:39 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Is anyone in the NW area? Munster/Hammond -ish?

Because if I had a local vegan friend to vegan around with, I would be pretty happy.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 213 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9