| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Michigan Wineries?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:37 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Has anyone visited or heard good/bad things about any of them? I'm hoping to visit a few during a girls' weekend this summer and am trying to do some research. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Michigan Wineries?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:57 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I remember a few I liked, Chateau Chantal in the Old Mission Peninsula and another I liked was Karma Vista in the southwest. What area are you going to be in? I went to these a long time ago so not sure of the veganess. But there are usually some in close proximity to one another and is fun to hop around and do tastings!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:34 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I so want to do a winery tour! If anyone knows which ones are vegan-friendly I'd love to hear about it, too.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:31 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

thanks. We are probably going to go near New Buffalo or closer to the border around St. Joe's. We're planning on renting house near the water, and those are two spots that I've heard good things about. I'll keep scouring the internet.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:17 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

I'm going to be living in the Cherry County area as of a few days from now, and my mother has done a LOT of the wineries up there. If you decide to head in that direction instead, let me know and I can get you all kinds of info.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:59 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I'm going to be in Traverse City next weekend (for the 4th) and I'm interested in going to some wineries. Any recommendations? Also any vegan food recommendations? Vineyards with vegan options would be amazing! Also looking for recommendations on stuff to do. Definitely going to Sleeping Bear Dunes and some wineries and maybe cherry picking?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:19 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

ifer wrote:
I'm going to be in Traverse City next weekend (for the 4th) and I'm interested in going to some wineries. Any recommendations? Also any vegan food recommendations? Vineyards with vegan options would be amazing! Also looking for recommendations on stuff to do. Definitely going to Sleeping Bear Dunes and some wineries and maybe cherry picking?

I can't tell you much about Vineyards. I live in TC, though, so here we go...

First off: The best fourth of July fireworks are in Northport. Hands down. If you're looking for fireworks, go there.
As far as food goes, Front Street/the Downtown area of Traverse has some great options. The Dish on Union Street always has a vegan soup, boasts a very vegan friendly menu, and makes awesome non-dairy smoothies. Poppycocks (which has always been a good option) revamped their menu last time I went in, and now it's AMAZING. Try the Tofu Lettuce Wraps. Seriously. Also, Red Ginger for sushi/Asian fusion is a good bet. There's a place further up East Front that makes great Mexican and has an easy to veganize menu called Red Mesa Grill. Finally: Check out the organic co-op, Oryana. There's a little cafe in there with good options, and it's a great place to pick up breakfast stuff or snacks or whatever.

Stuff to do: I LOVE Leland, maybe because it reminds me of my childhood, I don't know. Fishtown is super cute, there's quaint shopping, and one of my favorite beaches. Stop into the Cheese Shop for the best sandwich you'll ever eat (just try order something, have them leave off the cheese, and ignore the bizarre looks you're getting for ordering a cheeseless sandwich in a cheese shop). The Dam Candy Store next door makes very happy Rock Candy that will make you feel 8 in the best way. Then take your haul and hit Van's Beach. Happiness, I promise.

Also- Glen Arbor is a lot of fun. It's a long, but beautiful, drive. There's a cute little organic farmstand along the way, and lots of good hiking in the area. Plus, the Cherry
Republic complex once you hit Glen Arbor is the best.

This got a little long... hope it's helpful. Feel free to PM me with any questions you might have. Also (last thing I promise): You're coming during Cherry Festival, so leave yourself plenty of time to deal with traffic/park, especially when in downtown TC. Speaking of Cherry Festival: Something to do, perhaps?