| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 818 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 33  Next
 Post subject: Re: Garden Chat
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:59 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

I realized today that I've been tending to a weed in a tomato cage. It was the same height as the tomatoes, so I must have just put a cage on it, and been lovingly tending to it. Today I was trimming everyone and I realized one of these things was not like the others...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:37 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Hehe! Happy weed.

I just planted a dahlia tuber, here's hoping something will happen!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:28 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

Is it too late to plant in 8b? I'm moving to a house in West Oakland, California and will finally have a garden (with fig trees and grape vines and meyer lemons and someone else's chickens—thank you, landlord!) and am worried it'll be too late for containers in the middle of July. ;_;

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:57 am 
Married to the wolfman

Okay, I have the stupidest problem. I planted a mesclun mix in a nice semi-shady spot in my strip of dirt a couple weeks back. Something is sprouting where I sowed the seeds... But I'm not sure if it's a plant in the mix or if it's a type of weed I often pull out of my yard.

I pulled a piece up and compared it to a bit of the weed I found elsewhere. The weed is some clover-y looking thing, and each stem has a 3-lobed shamrock looking thing. The maybe-salad looks almost the same except they all (I went back and checked) have 2 lobes.

Should I:
A) eat it, see if it kills me
B) assume its a weed, pull it
C) let it grow bigger then reassess

Or something else? The picture on the packet is useless, it's just a big bowl of greens.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:02 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Let it grow! I also just planted mesclun and that's what mine currently look like.

Also, that forking pinterest grow things in a gutter is totally bullshiitake. I planted full grown herbs and various greens and none of them are faring well.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:03 pm 
protein lump

yeah, i would just let it grow and then reassess in a couple weeks. there is currently a moratorium on weeding in my garden since i planted a second round of beans, carrots, and beets and i don't want them to get accidentally pulled out.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:03 pm 
protein lump

yeah, i would just let it grow and then reassess in a couple weeks. there is currently a moratorium on weeding in my garden since i planted a second round of beans, carrots, and beets and i don't want them to get accidentally pulled out.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:10 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Ok! Thanks for the advice!

I pulled up what I thought was a weed elsewhere in the dirt strip and it was one of our cilantro seeds finally sprouting. There are 2 more tiny weed-lookin' cilantro sprouts out there though, so live and learn I guess.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:13 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Kate wrote:
Is it too late to plant in 8b? I'm moving to a house in West Oakland, California and will finally have a garden (with fig trees and grape vines and meyer lemons and someone else's chickens—thank you, landlord!) and am worried it'll be too late for containers in the middle of July. ;_;

It won't be too late for some things that don't care as much about timing. I don't know about that zone in particular, so as far as which exactly, I can't help ya too much, but here in Portland you could still plant almost all herbs then, greens if they're a little shaded, onions (probably not the ideal time to plant them, but I like onions before they're technically 'ready' anyhow)...

As far as tomatoes and peppers, you can often find ones for sale that have already been started in big pots, I saw a... probably three gallon one for sale somewhere yesterday.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:06 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

Awesome, thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:34 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

esme wrote:

This makes me laugh because of the weed I've been taking care of for months.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:46 pm 
protein lump

been there.

and sometimes it works out! i found a tomato plant growing in a totally random place where i did not plant any tomatoes. i'm interested in seeing what kind of tomatoes it produces.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:49 pm 

I accidentally grew a tomato plant too! I'm pretty sure it's roma or cherry, there are some small flowers so I guess i'll find out soon. The cucumber plants that sprouted in my compost aren't flowering at all, can veggies be bred not to reproduce from the next generation of seeds? Is my baby barren?

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:23 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Kate wrote:
Awesome, thanks!

I live in 8b and am still planting crepe! Honestly it can go either way with weather here... It's often hot through the end of September, so anything that takes 90 days or less is still a fair gamble. Also, 8b = nice and mild so you may as well try things like chard and herbs which are sorta whenever-y.

We added 2 arugula plants to our dirt strip this afternoon because I have started bribing my child with the promise of new plants. He really wants a third tomato plant and I'd be inclined to try it (seedlings are so cheap!) but we don't have a pot that's big enough.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:16 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

coldandsleepy wrote:
Okay, I have the stupidest problem. I planted a mesclun mix in a nice semi-shady spot in my strip of dirt a couple weeks back. Something is sprouting where I sowed the seeds... But I'm not sure if it's a plant in the mix or if it's a type of weed I often pull out of my yard.

I pulled a piece up and compared it to a bit of the weed I found elsewhere. The weed is some clover-y looking thing, and each stem has a 3-lobed shamrock looking thing. The maybe-salad looks almost the same except they all (I went back and checked) have 2 lobes.

Should I:

Or something else? The picture on the packet is useless, it's just a big bowl of greens.

I wonder it it could be a type of sorrel...maybe woodsorrel? The weed is redwood sorrel, I think. It's used as ground cover on our street and according to the Internet, is edible! Too bad dogs pee on the stuff near us!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:09 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I was weeding my herb and tomato bed yesterday and found six giant volunteer tomato plants. They are all from seed, and are like two feet tall. I don't have the heart to pluck them.

mrsbadmouth wrote:

Also, that forking pinterest grow things in a gutter is totally bullshiitake. I planted full grown herbs and various greens and none of them are faring well.

I mostly love Pinterest but holy hell, all the gardening posts are maddening. There are all these OMG DIY planters that don't consider root space or drainage, and it's clear they were planted just for that photo and all the plants have probably since croaked.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:59 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

coldandsleepy wrote:

Should I:

I bet it's sorrel, which is a tasty edible weed.

http://hotdogjam.wordpress.com/2009/07/ ... or-clover/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:13 pm 

abbierae wrote:
I was weeding my herb and tomato bed yesterday and found six giant volunteer tomato plants. They are all from seed, and are like two feet tall. I don't have the heart to pluck them.

mrsbadmouth wrote:

I mostly love Pinterest but holy hell, all the gardening posts are maddening. There are all these OMG DIY planters that don't consider root space or drainage, and it's clear they were planted just for that photo and all the plants have probably since croaked.

We drilled holes in the bottom and I was conscious of spacing for root room, but clearly there is still not enough space. I planted some lettuce, collard, and spinach seeds in the gutter, then a week later I planted the extra seeds in a few pots. The pot seeds (heh) quickly outgrew the drain ones. I thinned and everything!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:20 am 
WELFARIST!

esme wrote:
been there.

and sometimes it works out! i found a tomato plant growing in a totally random place where i did not plant any tomatoes. i'm interested in seeing what kind of tomatoes it produces.

We grow tomatoes every year and one year, after the harvest, all of the old tomatoes dropped and there were seeds everywhere. The next year, half of our raised garden and the lawn around it was completely covered in tomato plants. We ended up digging most of them up and handing them out to family members.

We usually never have a problem with pests but apparently this year, my nan planted everything and the next day went outside to find it all eaten by an animal. She spent all day and a ton of money on the garden only to have to do it all over again. She's started letting the dog on that side of the fence to pee around the garden and chase bunnies (he would never kill it).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:57 am 
Married to the wolfman

We planted some more chard plants and the new ones look really miserably sad and wilty. They're interspersed amongst the established chard plants so I don't think it's a matter of too much sun or something. They have like six million stems each, more than my established plants, so maybe that's it. Maybe I should cut them way back?

Only 2 of the 24ish cilantro seeds we planted germinated... And they were 2 that were in the same spot. I don't know whether to plant some more or use that spot (part of the very very small space that gets full sun) to plant something else. Did I ever really need/want 8 cilantro plants or was I just feelin' crazy?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:25 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

mrsbadmouth wrote:
I accidentally grew a tomato plant too! I'm pretty sure it's roma or cherry, there are some small flowers so I guess i'll find out soon. The cucumber plants that sprouted in my compost aren't flowering at all, can veggies be bred not to reproduce from the next generation of seeds? Is my baby barren?

They can, but I doubt yours are, it's probably more of a nutrient problem. Compost piles (especially from veganic gardens) tend to be pretty poor in P, which is really important for reproductive growth. So while the little guys are swimming in C and N, they're probably not too happy on the P front.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:50 pm 
WELFARIST!

coldandsleepy wrote:
We planted some more chard plants and the new ones look really miserably sad and wilty. They're interspersed amongst the established chard plants so I don't think it's a matter of too much sun or something. They have like six million stems each, more than my established plants, so maybe that's it. Maybe I should cut them way back?

Only 2 of the 24ish cilantro seeds we planted germinated... And they were 2 that were in the same spot. I don't know whether to plant some more or use that spot (part of the very very small space that gets full sun) to plant something else. Did I ever really need/want 8 cilantro plants or was I just feelin' crazy?

Pick the chard a lot! Our chard grows better than dandelions; we're always out there picking a bunch and by the end of the day, I swear there's already new leaves. It's insane. Ours grow deep into the winter and start really early. When it comes to cilantro, that stuff is really hard to grow. One year I actually got some to begin growing but it didn't last long and eventually died.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:26 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I've never had much luck with cilantro either. Based on how it grows for me, I'd need a couple dozen plants to get a significant harvest. And then it bolts really quickly too, so you'd need to plant it every few weeks for a continual harvest. But it self sows in my sister's garden, and that seems to work our well. Not sure why it doesn't in mine.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:18 pm 
Married to the wolfman

We pick some chard like every day, and the established plants look great. It's just these new ones! I cut them pretty much totally down and 3 of the six are already looking way better. The other three just look horrible. So yeah, who the hell knows, either they'll get better or they'll die and I'll plant more arugula!

The two cilantro plants that sprouted seem to be doing well now, so whatever. My plan had been to plant every 2 weeks-- that's what the seed packet says to do-- but now I feel like I don't care that much! Especially because our landlords received two huge established cilantros from a friend and are like please please help us eat all of this.

Now that we are gardening, I have become the biggest garden creeper. It is really interesting to see what people in my neighborhood are growing and how/where. Next year I am going to plant so much shiitake.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:55 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I've got a pretty good container herb garden going but I swear I've got a brown thumb when it comes to lavender, basil, and mint. They always die on me!!

Is there a trick to getting lavender to bloom? Mine was growing pretty well until I noticed all the flowers were infested with aphids. I just cut the flowers off instead of trying to spray it down, and it seems like that made it stop producing. Now it's just a healthy green shrub, while I notice all the other lavenders at work and in my neighborhood are dripping with buds!

My mint is pretty scraggly, like brown twigs with a few leaves. It gets half a day of direct sun and I water it regularly, but it's just barely hanging on. Too much water? Too little? Not enough light? The same goes for my basil. It just wilts like it's not getting enough water and then all the leaves fall off. I'm stumped!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 818 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 33  Next