| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Garden bisqueing.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:11 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

So, I live on a big lot with several little houses. Shacks, they're shacks. And the loveliest thing about it, besides a crappy shack being 1,000,000 times better than a crappy apartment, is that we have this huge yard, and I am the only one who uses it, and I have lots of beautiful plants. Well... until recently. First my tomatoes started to suffer from mysterious over-watering, then my snap peas, and then today I came home and my baby herb starts and new strawberry plants had been completely demolished by irresponsible use of a garden hose with a power sprayer. I talked to my neighbors and it turns out that this older man has been watering all my plants so they're ailing because they're getting 2- 3x times the amount of water they need. I'm poor, so poor that gardening counts as an expensive hobby, even with what I reap to eat, and I'm mad. We talked about it, but I can't get over it.... And how do I help my plant babies recover from WAYYYYYY too much H20?

(Does this belong elsewhere? I can't tell if it's more a rant about my invasive neighbor or my ailing over-watered plants?)

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.”
--Margaret Meade

Post subject: Re: Garden bisqueing.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:30 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

Man, that really really sucks. I can't imagine how I'd feel if that happened to my garden. I guess the only saving grace is at least he meant well? Cold comfort, maybe. But hopefully things will begin to recover with proper care, and there's still enough time to plant some new things, right? Can I send you some seeds?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:37 pm 
Thinks chickens are assholes

If they're in pots can you lay them on their side? My dad owns a garden nursery and it's his tip for drying pot plants out.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:53 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Knife him!

My FIL has messed with my garden before, sometimes he will go out and pick things 'for me' that I saw and decided to leave on the vine for another day. Or he set up the sprinkler for me and watered my garden and it didn't reach half of the stuff, and it was a really hot day so if I hadn't looked half of my shiitake would've withered.

And then there was the year that he decided he was sick of the mosquitoes so he sprayed clouds of bug spray right next to my garden and then got pissy when I wouldn't eat the tomatoes that were left.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:21 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

A squirrel dug for gold in my parsley pot over the weekend. Just the parsley not the any of the other 6 potted herb plants on the deck. And the neighbors cat has been munching on the leaves of my pumpkin's! So far nothing else is an issue yet.

Did you neighbor promise not to water your garden anymore?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:30 am 
Smuggling Raisins

Update on the neighbor. He claims to have stopped watering the plants. But, he obsessively waters the "grass" (By which I mean impacted earth into which nothing absorbs.) and then lets the hose spray over our plants. All my heirlooms are split and rotten. A bum-dazzle, indeed! But, the cherry tomatoes are going nuts and I just ate my first home grown bell pepper!

I'll take all the seeds anyone wants to send! It's LA, I feel like I can start seeds, whenever and be OK growing cycle wise :)

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.”
--Margaret Meade