| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 855 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 35  Next
 Post subject: Re: Garden Chat
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:32 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Yeah, I find buds are the first thing to go on unhappy plants. I think plants prioritize keeping leaves alive because that's where they get their energy from rather than where they give their energy to. Sadly for us humans who'd want it the other way round.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:31 pm 
Semen Strong

So we have a ton of feral cats in our yard, and I watched 4 kittens poop in my veggie patch. The bed is surrounded by chickenwire and babygates, but the tiny babies can still get through.

I imagine that the leafy veg, herbs, tomatoes and zucchini should still be fine if washed but maybe the carrots are more of a problem? I'd love some input on this - I don't want to toss all my yummy produce.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:03 pm 

I think the real question is what are you doing watching cats poop?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:00 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I'd probably peel the carrots if I planned to eat them raw.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:03 pm 
Semen Strong

Jill do you think the other veg are okay?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:15 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

if you picked the poop up in a timely manner, i wouldn't think there's much of a risk. (especially since they're kittens, and probably have fewer diseases than their mamas.)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:26 pm 
Married to the wolfman

My green beans are out of control, people. Seriously. I've been picking over a pound of green beans every other day for like two weeks now, and only about half the vines are even producing significantly yet. Lesson learned: I do not need 10 green bean plants next year! (But it's delicious while it lasts.)

The cherry tomatoes are starting to ripen too! There are literally hundreds of fruit across two massive plants, and I've been getting a slowly increasing number of ripe ones every day for a week or so now. As long as they keep going at this pace I'll manage it, otherwise I might get snowed under. Delicious tomato snow. I'm okay with that anyhow.

My Green Zebra plant has maybe a dozen small fruits on it. I don't know how I'll tell when they're ripe? They must get a different kind of green. That one sad tomato plant is still holding on despite the fact that over half of its leaves look, well, dead. It actually has six or seven fruits on it now.

Bad thing about my tomatoes and green beans getting so huge: they squeezed out my melon plant. I guess I didn't realize how rapidly they were encroaching on it, and I should have tied them back faster but they pretty much just smothered the poor little thing.

I caught them doing the same thing to the cucumber plant on time (I think) and tied them way back to give it some space... two days later it was like twice as tall and now it has all these bright yellow flowers. That means I'm getting cucumbers, right?

Finished digging up and eating the carrots... I'll do those again but in a different container (and probably a different variety).

My lettuce is all bolting, I guess because it's been so warm here.

My pepper plants are finally starting to really take off, which is too bad because I'm pretty sure there's not enough season left for them to fruit in.

That's my garden update!

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:49 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

coldandsleepy wrote:

My Green Zebra plant has maybe a dozen small fruits on it. I don't know how I'll tell when they're ripe? They must get a different kind of green. That one sad tomato plant is still holding on despite the fact that over half of its leaves look, well, dead. It actually has six or seven fruits on it now.

That's my garden update!

Ha I had to ask the internet too a few weeks ago, they turn yellow and you will be able to tell!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:30 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I still haven't staked my tomatoes. #shittygardener

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:31 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

mrsbadmouth wrote:
I still haven't staked my tomatoes. #shittygardener

Do it now, don't regret it later! I didn't have cages for all of my plants this year and the one I staked super late never produced any tomatoes. Don't end up like me! Dead!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:36 pm 

The reason I haven't done it is almost all of my stakes are either huge bamboo or huge metal, and the ground here is so freaking hard (we tilled, dug giant holes for each plant and refilled around them with bagged dirt) that I cannot get them into the ground unless it's soft and I never remember after it rains.

My cucumbers are doing overly well. I say overly because I found two short trellises on clearance so I used them to make a corner for my cucumbers and they are way too small. Stupid healthy plant!

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:37 pm 

supercarrot wrote:
if you picked the poop up in a timely manner, i wouldn't think there's much of a risk. (especially since they're kittens, and probably have fewer diseases than their mamas.)

Tofulish, I only mentioned carrots because I thought you were most worried about them. I agree with Supercarrot, and wouldn't worry about any plant part that wasn't directly in contact with the poop. And I think the main worry then would be from parasites rather than diseases? A lot of people peel root veggies if they're going to be eaten raw, especially by young children or anyone with compromised immune systems.

All the feral cats in my area have been eaten by native wildlife, but I do have all sorts of rodents in my garden. I don't give a second thought to produce coming in contact with them or their scat - and I'm guessing their germs and poop are spread throughout my garden.. And probably most every garden too!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:48 pm 

as you garden more and more, your soil will get softer. (the organic material is what keeps it soft. compost is amazing)

i've been sloooooowly building the garden on my front lawn, that almost all the seeds i had previously started in flats are pretty much starved and dead. it'll be better next year when i can plant the plantlets early in the season.

i was sad that i was running out of newspaper to cover the grass, and then i realised that i can use cardboard. i have a ridiculous amount of boxes that i was trying to give away on craigslist, and nobody wanted them. SOLUTION! i covered another patch today and planted 3 really large pepper plants that i got from home depot for 3.33 each.

i ended up replanting some zucchini seeds after my plants died a horrible death, and they're starting to sprout now. maybe i'll get a few fruits before it gets too cold.*fingers crossed*

in the past, the neighbor squirrels have stolen my tomatoes that i got a bit disheartened about growing any more. my fruits are still small and green, but they're coming along.

the picture hanging wire i got to build the trellis against the house for the grape vine is holding up incredibly well.

i kinda want to build a rain tank inside my porch, but it might go to a bad place if it starts leaking.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:42 pm 

I actually had my compost moved here - it was beautiful and black. And then the whole bin flew out of the back of the truck on the interstate and I have to start all over.

Next year i'm going to surround the area with cinderblocks so I can fill the middle with soil so it'll be slightly above ground and give the soil a little help, this year I didn't have the money to get too crazy so we put in more sweat than money.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:41 am 

oh no! i'm sorry for your loss. :-(

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:30 am 
Inflexitarian

Holy crepe did we ever get a lot of rain last night. The entire backyard (including the garden) was about an inch deep with water for about an hour. I have never seen it rain that hard while living here. Checking on it this morning, damage appears to be minimal (some bean plants have been bent over but they were ones I didn't expect to produce much anyway, and some squash leave stems are kinked which I assume means the leaves in question are goners). Hopefully nothing more serious becomes evident between now and whenever it becomes sunny again. It stopped raining but it is still completely cloudy.

mrsbadmouth : that is awful :( RIP compost

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:31 pm 
Inflexitarian

Okay, this is really frustrating. I was showing a friend the garden and they stepped on one of the squash vines near the growing end. It is pretty much flattened in that spot. It is on cement so burying it isnt an option. What can I do? Is that particular plant a goner?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:54 am 

Can you cut it of before the smushed part? Or is it too close to the root? If there's still a good amount of leaves from the root to the squish, I would cut it, it'll still make some stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:40 am 
Inflexitarian

Mars wrote:
Can you cut it of before the smushed part? Or is it too close to the root? If there's still a good amount of leaves from the root to the squish, I would cut it, it'll still make some stuff.

Yeah there's like 6 ft of vine. They stepped almost right on the end of the vine where it was continuing to grow. Is there really nothing else to do but cut off the damage? It had been growing very, very well :(

Arg this makes me so angry.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:42 am 

squashes are kinda amazing. give it a few days and see if it can pull through. if not, snippety snip.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:38 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I think we planted bok choy too late this year - both batches bolted. We only got a bit of spinach before it bolted too. Kales and lettuce are doing really well (although kales, especially the curly one, is COVERED in aphids - we've been a bit better at controlling it the past couple weeks, but we're going to get serious about picking them off this weekend). Tomatoes plants survived the flea beetles, and look beautiful - every plant but one has some green tomatoes on them, and the shape of the Romas is so cool! Will pull the last couple beets this weekend and have half the carrots left to go (getting the hang of these - I realize that I need to water them and tend to that soil more than the others). Garlic is curing. Onions are looking good, but I hope we didn't plant them too late. Some neighbors gave us some peas so we're trying them out (using an upside down tomato cage for them to climb, ha), but we don't hold much hope for them. Oh, and zucchini plants are rocking, even though something was trying to eat all the leaves - can't wait for these to go off!

Now to look and see if it's too late to do another batch of carrots and beets and to get pumpkin seeds in the ground. Maybe potatoes. I think we're past the time for trying out cucumbers - this is the second year that our seeds didn't even sprout!

I just love this time of year, I'm eating homegrown salad like crazy and only spending like $20/week on groceries. <3

Of Capsicums & Things."

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:24 pm 

Rainbowwine, where do you live? I'm scratching my head at planting potatoes and pumpkins in July if it's too late for cukes in your area. Cucumber's days-to-maturity is much less than the other two. I had a good crop of bok choy from an early spring planting (started inside in Feb and moved out in late March) and will plant my fall crop from seed outside in mid August. The planting for fall always does better.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:00 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

In PDX too - potatoes was more to see what happened...and I was thinking pumpkins was too late too but my partner wants to try. That's good to know about the bok choy, we'll try again next month!

Of Capsicums & Things."

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:25 pm 

Tea wrote:
Mars wrote:

Yeah there's like 6 ft of vine. They stepped almost right on the end of the vine where it was continuing to grow. Is there really nothing else to do but cut off the damage? It had been growing very, very well :(

Arg this makes me so angry.

No fretting! If you snip it, it will probably just sprout out a new vine to do it's growing from. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:01 am 
Baking In The Flavor

I've read lots of advice that recommends that you remove the growing point of tomato plants once they've set 5 trusses of fruit. I've only got a few plants and I want to get maximum yield from them so I'm tempted to let them keep growing and set as many trusses as possible. Is that a terrible idea?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 855 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 35  Next