| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: They Call Me Dr. Worm: Ask a Lovable Wookie a Gardening
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:15 pm 
ol' garly cooch

mel c wrote:
I lost my first zuchinni to blossom end rot, so I bought some dolomite lime to help the plants out. (They are also near the roots of a cypress tree, which probably isn't helping.) The box and most things online say 1 tbs per gallon of water, but I can't find anything that explains how many plants or sq.ft. that's supposed to be good for. I have 2 plants in about 8 square feet.

Just water in the 1T per gallon into the area of plants until you're sure they have been completely fed. You can also put a couple Ts of molasses into warm water, or epsom salts to help with Ca/Mg deficiencies. The lack of the two elements and inconsistent watering is what causes that problem.

Also, check your vines. Do they have holes in them with sawdusty looking residue? Then your problem isn't blossom end rot, it is vine borers. Since they have a soil stage, you'll want to water BT in the soil, shoot the vines with a hypodermic needle full of BT, or water beneficial nematodes in the ground to eat the borers before they hatch.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:28 am 
Asked Santa for a Hoveringdog

jewbacca wrote:
Gaia, Kale doesn't like the intense heat, it's more of a cold winter veggie. In fact, the flavor is better after a good frost. We're on day #3 of an intense heat wave, so many veggies will not grow at all in these temperatures.

Oh, I missed this last week. Sorry. I know kale doesn't like intense heat, but I love kale so much that I decided I was going to try it anyways. My other 3 plants are doing well, though. Unfortunately it's going to be ridiculously hot here all week(between 95-100) so I'm just praying that I can get them through this and the Aug heat wave we always seem to get. I've been watering like crazy since there isn't really anything else I can do at this point.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:29 pm 
ol' garly cooch

No worries, Gaia. Many vegetable plants aren't fond of intense heat. It's not that kale will die, it just won't thrive.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:36 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

My cucumber plants are teeny weeny, but zuchinni and butternut squash are doing well. What's wrong with my cucumbers??

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:40 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

jewbacca wrote:
Just water in the 1T per gallon into the area of plants until you're sure they have been completely fed. You can also put a couple Ts of molasses into warm water, or epsom salts to help with Ca/Mg deficiencies. The lack of the two elements and inconsistent watering is what causes that problem.

Also, check your vines. Do they have holes in them with sawdusty looking residue? Then your problem isn't blossom end rot, it is vine borers. Since they have a soil stage, you'll want to water BT in the soil, shoot the vines with a hypodermic needle full of BT, or water beneficial nematodes in the ground to eat the borers before they hatch.

Thanks! I gave them a dose of lime and I had some Bt leftover, so I put some of that in the ground to be safe. The plants look really healthy though; no holes or sawdust stuff. The flower on the first fruit that set turned black/brown and the end of the fruit was mushy and brown too.

On a somewhat unrelated note, I found Bt at a local nursery and it was in some medium that looked like sparkly, golden, petrified wood. What is that stuff? It was not at all what I was expecting when I opened the lid.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:09 pm 
ol' garly cooch

mel c wrote:
jewbacca wrote:

Thanks! I gave them a dose of lime and I had some Bt leftover, so I put some of that in the ground to be safe. The plants look really healthy though; no holes or sawdust stuff. The flower on the first fruit that set turned black/brown and the end of the fruit was mushy and brown too.

On a somewhat unrelated note, I found Bt at a local nursery and it was in some medium that looked like sparkly, golden, petrified wood. What is that stuff? It was not at all what I was expecting when I opened the lid.

that sounds like vermiculite.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:33 pm 
Santa is a WELFARIST!

So I have no idea what is up with melon plant I asked you about before...the brown edges spread only a little more on the leaves they were already on (no more spots) , but it hasn't moved to any other leaves. THe plant is now about 3 times taller and seemingly doing well with many blossoms....I guess it cured itself???

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:12 am 
ol' garly cooch

MT, perhaps it was a nutrient deficiency after all. You did pick off the affected leaves, yes?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:06 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I have a dogwood tree that's dying. My mom planted it in direct sunlight, and we thought it was just in shock from moving, but it's been in the 90s and it's just getting more limp and dry and pathetic. A gardener friend of the family said we can't move it until September or it will die of shock, but to give it 50 gallons of water a day. Is there any way we can save me the trouble of digging and moving it at all? THanks.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:15 pm 
ol' garly cooch

Zwingy, try some Superthrive. I have no idea what is in it, but gardeners world-wide make claims it brings back plants from the dead. Now, I haven't seen a plant rise like a zombie, but I've seen some pretty sick plants bounce back with that stuff. The label on the bottle gives me a headache. In addition to water, make sure you feed the tree something with mycorrhizae (bacteria that clings to root hairs and allows better uptake of nutrients). Plant Success one of the trademarked names available for sale.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:49 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Thanks, I'll tell mom. We quite like the tree where it is, so anything to make it live.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:37 pm 
Santa is a WELFARIST!

jewbacca wrote:
MT, perhaps it was a nutrient deficiency after all. You did pick off the affected leaves, yes?

No! Should I??! At the time, that was most of it's leaves, so I didn't. Now it has plenty of other healthy leaves...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:08 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

AHHHH! Halp!
I've been absolutely meticulous about my garden this year, and came home to this nonsense:
absolutely covering 1.5 huge, previously-beautiful, previously-totally-happy tomato plants.

What is it?!

This is fresh dirt (beds were established the first week of June) and plants that I grew from newly-purchased organic heirloom seed. I'm going to have the bf pull out the affected plants, because it's clearly spreading... and I can't bear to do it myself, because I raised these giants from tiny little baby seeds.
The leaf spots are sort of grey-brown with yellow around them. The edges of the leaves are crispy dry and flake off when you touch them. The fruits are totally unaffected.

I've had early and late blight, and this doesn't look like either of them. Septoria leaf spot, maybe? The temperature has been hovering around the 100-degree mark for about a week now, with very little rain. So confused. So, so sad.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:21 am 
ol' garly cooch

Oh Steph, I'm so sorry!

I don't think that is Septoria: here's why. Septoria is a seed borne disease and spreads to the seedlings. Didn't you mention your plants were thriving prior to this mess? To me, it looks like blight. There are many different types of blight, and the hallmark signature is the disease moving from the bottom to the top of the plant. I know your weather defies typical blight conditions, but I have seen stranger things happen. Check under the leaves--are there bugs hanging out? The conditions have been awful here in SC IN, and 2 of my boss's tomato plants have it. You can treat it and hope to salvage your tomatoes. I have done this and used Actinovate-(expensive, but works!).

If you do go that route, I'd give it a 1-2 punch of a foliar application and a soil drench. Another thing is to make sure any affected leaves you pick off should be put in a pile away from your other plants and away from your compost pile.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:47 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Do you think it could just be water/sun damage? Many of my tomatoes are doing that on the bottom and I just assumed it was because I sometimes carelessly water mid-day and get their leaves wet, especially more near the bottom. I guess I should buy actinovate just in case.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:50 am 
ol' garly cooch

Mars wrote:
Do you think it could just be water/sun damage? Many of my tomatoes are doing that on the bottom and I just assumed it was because I sometimes carelessly water mid-day and get their leaves wet, especially more near the bottom. I guess I should buy actinovate just in case.

It most certainly won't hurt to do so. If you buy from me, call me at work rather than online ordering. The shipping calculator will give you an outrageous quote for that little package, when we can easily put it in a bubble mailer for $3.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:03 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Just a note to say: Thank you belatedly! :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:14 pm 
ol' garly cooch

Muffin-Tuffin wrote:
jewbacca wrote:

No! Should I??! At the time, that was most of it's leaves, so I didn't. Now it has plenty of other healthy leaves...

It is always a good idea to remove dead leaves regularly. I liken it to a person exfoliating in the shower--you want the dead to go away so new growth can happen.

I'm leaving the office, but will check the threads during the weekend. Everyone stay cool!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:44 pm 
Asked Santa for a Hoveringdog

Hey jewbacca, I've got a question about cucumbers. I was over at my brother's house today and my SIL was showing me her cukes, which are growing normally except for the fact that they aren't turning green even though they are fairly decent sized. What could be causing them to stay white/super pale green?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:18 am 
ol' garly cooch

I think I'm losing my mind. I just posted something and it's gone!

Anyway, Gaia: two things come to mind with cukes that aren't green.

1) Breed. Did He get these from a seed exchange? The white ones have only been around for a short while.

2) Sun scalding. With temps being super high and many areas without adequate precipitation, I'm not surprised people are having problems with their vegetable crops.

Let me talk to The Cuke Whisperer here at work and see what she says.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:45 am 
Santa is a WELFARIST!

Cuke Whisperer made me laugh way more than it should have.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:52 am 
ol' garly cooch

I talked with CW and she said the same thing I said. I googled the heck out of this and found one link to this issue:

http://justmygarden.com/2006/05/29/my-c ... ned-white/

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:32 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

The blight stuff had me worried, but my tomato leaves have no scarring and are just turning yellow from the bottom up. It started about 3 weeks ago, so I top dressed with worm castings, gave them some molasses, and trimmed off the lower branches. It hasn't stopped though and it's starting to look like I have a tomato tree instead of a tomato bush. The top is still thriving and growing taller, and there are at least 2 dozen green fruits. Is it just getting exhausted or too little sun on the bottom or do I need to be worried about a major problem?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:40 pm 
ol' garly cooch

mel, my tomatoes did this last season and i had a huge crop by the end Sept. beg. of Oct. As long as you give those vines room to climb and can support them structurally, they really don't need to be big and bushy. In fact, pruning unproductive leaves will allow the tomato plant to spend its energy making tomatoes instead of making a bunch of foliage. Have you given the plant Actinovate yet?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:50 pm 
ol' garly cooch

Here are a couple of examples of how to vine/stake tomatoes:

My former co-worker Tomi's garden:
Tomi's Garden by jewbacca2011, on Flickr

This was an image I found online. Mine looked like this except I had picked off most of the leaves off the bottom from yellowing. I had them naturally trellised with my chain link fence.
towering tomato plant by jewbacca2011, on Flickr

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next