| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Birdfeeders!!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:44 am 
ol' garly cooch

I love hummingbirds. They are amazing creatures. They like bugs too, so if you plant a ton of colorful flowers in your garden, they'll come! They are a fan of red and pink flowers. Anyone been to the desert museum in Tucson? There's a hummingbird house and you can get really close to them, they'll even pluck out your hair or pick fuzz off your clothes for their nests! Their eggs are the size of peas.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:11 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

This is our second year we have had the hummingbird feeder out and no hummingbirds at all. We leave in Southeast PA. I'm going to try the homemade solution.

I may try moving it too.

We have two other feeders, I'll take a picture tonight and a new birdhouse and birdbath. I haven't seen any action on the birdhouse, although I have in the one in front of our yard (baby's inside right now). I have a squirel that loves and broke one of the feeders (the new one) and we had to tape it up. I'm ok with feeding him too, but I may want to get something just for the squirels lower to the ground so maybe they leave the bird feeders alone. We see all types, bluejays, cardinals, finches in every color, blackbirds, and many that I have no idea what they are. I also have only seen them in the birdbath once. I think I need to plant more flowers back there. It's kind of baron, lol.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:34 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

I bought a hummingbird feeder a week ago and I have seen no hummingbirds! The flowers are red. Boo! However... It's installed on my patio and there is not much as far as gardens go around there. Just a couple window boxes and container plants. And also there isn't much red or pink around there other than the flowers on the feeder. Maybe I should plant some red flowers.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:04 pm 
WELFARIST!

Not exactly a bird feeder but my friend lives on a lake and her mother found an eagle in their yard the other day. It was so cool, she took a bunch of pics on her camera phone and sent them to us. The lake that she lives on also has an eagle and loom cam going all of the time that we sometimes watch.

We have a few bird feeders and have been seeing some different birds. My favorite that we've seen so far has been a yellow and black finch:

We've also been finding at around 6am a couple of ducks floating around in our pool (before we opened it so no chlorine). My grandparents also saw a really large black and red bird in our garden, I forgot what they called it though.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:06 pm 
WELFARIST!

We have a hummingbird feeder but I don't remember us ever using it. I see them a lot around our flowers in the front yard though. They are so cool to watch!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:54 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

lycophyte wrote:
IsaChandra wrote:
Can someone in the know post a pic of an ideal hummingbird feeder? I'm not getting the flower painting thing.

I bought the feeder I did because it was glass instead of plastic for the nectar bottle part. However the base was red...but the flowers were white. Hummers are attracted to the color red since they don't smell or anything, they are just drown to flowers with that color, mostly. And a tube shape. My flowers were white and they weren't finding the holes! So we painted them red and, lo, they came. I think they may have had complaints on that because they offer one now with red flowers.

Ah, ok, thanks! I'll make sure I get one with red flowers.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:14 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Aubade wrote:
And I have to say I'm amazed at the many different types of birds you've seen in your yard! I really want to learn how to identify them now.

one thing that's really helpful is getting an illustrated field guide, like Peterson or Sibley. getting good at bird ID takes time and experience - i've been a bird nerd for at least a decade, and i still have trouble with some of them. looking through the field guides in your spare time is a good way to brush up.

Mr. Shankly wrote:
We have a few bird feeders and have been seeing some different birds. My favorite that we've seen so far has been a yellow and black finch:

awww, i love goldfinches! they're one of my favorite birds we get at our feeder.

Mr. Shankly wrote:
My grandparents also saw a really large black and red bird in our garden, I forgot what they called it though.

how big was it?

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:39 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

The hummingbirds are loving our pom tree - the red flowers are in bloom. They will not touch our hummingbird feeder...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:42 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Mars wrote:
I almost bought a hummingbird feeder today, but it was cheap, ugly, and plastic, and so I decided I'm going to try and make one. I don't want to spend the big bucks on a fancy one so... it might be fun.

I bought some foxglove plants and my dad built a nice planter for them. Now we have all the hummingbirds in the neighborhood it seems! I read that they like foxglove, and this certainly seems to be the case.

The foxglove is a pale mauve pink color, not red.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:57 pm 
WELFARIST!

EmperorTomatoKetchup wrote:
Mr. Shankly wrote:
My grandparents also saw a really large black and red bird in our garden, I forgot what they called it though.

how big was it?

I could have sworn I replied to this! I'm not sure how big it was, I didn't see it. I've been keeping my eyes open for it but haven't seen anything.

These are our birdfeeders:

We also just bought a hummingbird feeder that looks like an ice cream sundae although I don't think it will get much attention.

When it comes to books, we have one of the Audobon bird field guides.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:49 pm 
Nailed to the V

There's a bird feeder where I live now, and all the birds I've seen pick out the seeds and whip them to the ground. I don't know if that's typical, but it's cute. When the feeder is empty they eat the seeds off the ground, so they must sort of be eating them.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:59 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

Finches on the thistle bag.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:46 pm 
WELFARIST!

Mr. Shankly wrote:

These are our birdfeeders:

So, the one on the left broke and everything spilled onto the ground. I took the broken one and tossed it out and when I came back the next day every single bit was gone from the ground and the newly filled one on the right was completely empty. Then I refilled the one on the right again and the next day everything was gone. What the hell???

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:56 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Mr. Shankly wrote:

Is THAT what that is?! We've had one in the garden recently and I was trying to figure out what it was from my office window. Neat!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:52 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I was going to post this in the bird thread till I saw this feeder thread!

The past few days my nyjer feeder has been falling off its nail, even though it's been fine up there for months. When I picked it up this last time, I saw the bottom tray is super bent and messed up, which I attributed to the fall from a second story balcony. Then today, I saw this!

A few minutes later, two started hanging off at the same time! No wonder it's all bent, mourning doves are huge! When they fly away somehow the feeder hops off its nail. Silly doves, that feeder is not for you!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:43 am 
Seagull of the PPK

my mother (in NJ) had all sorts of erm, oversized bird issues (when they took off they would knock the feeder down). doves, jays, woodpeckers, blackbirds. She tried to solve it by having a feeder for everyone (corn on this one, seeds on that one, thistle in another) but it kind of got complicated, especially with having to bring them all in every night (bears would get it if you left it out after dark).

Mentioned earlier- in Monmouth county no hummingbirds- my mom in Warren county gets a whole truckload, and amazingly, I saw one at my grandmother's house in Secaucus (Bergen county? can't remember), which shocked the hell out of me because, well, Secaucus. So who knows.

I only have a hummingbird feeder here- I have to fill it every day. One day I'll rig up the camera and figure out what kinds I have, but we have a whole family of what Dr Google tells me is Glittering-bellied Emeralds and white-throated hummingbirds, and I know we have a scissor-tailed one that is bigger and more aggressive. And we have one that's striped.
For other birds, we have so many that if I put out a feeder we will have riots. the best I do is put out a banana or old fruit once in a while and I get these tanagers (not my pic), they eat fruit and will occasionally hang off the hummingbird feeder and slurp up the nectar. They always travel in bands and are soooo fearless.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:42 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

If I had to bring in bird feeders every night, the birds would never get fed. Your mom had a lot of patience!! I think I'm also dealing with naughty jays. I deliberately picked a seed mix and feeders that would be less appealing to jays and it's been working. However, the past few days all my baby radish and lettuce sprouts have gone missing or been uprooted. Yesterday my husband saw the jays in the planter going to town, so I guess they're the culprits!

Jealous of all your hummers! We only have anna hummers around here. They're pretty cute though. They dive bomb me when I'm gardening near their feeder!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:00 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

we forgot to bring in the feeders twice. Both times the feeders got smashed and shlurped dry. The bears do not fool around out there.

I also had a bunch of baby plants get ruined! I was FURIOUS.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:56 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

You guys!! There is a bewick's wren building a nest on my patio! I caught him in the act this morning with some bark shavings from my planter box (so that's where it's been going....). I just read up on wrens a bit and it looks like the male will build a nest, then the female will inspect it and decide whether or not to use it. I hope she likes it! It's sort of in all-day sun so I'm a little worried it might get too hot. Should I try to put something to shade it a bit, or leave it alone for now?

Here's a pic of the bird house. You can see a little bit of the nesting materials poking out the bottom!

ImageUntitled

Wren Watch 2014!