| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Winter Garden Anyone?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:46 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I just started my winter garden, I am in Southern CA zone 9b. I planted artichokes, kale, cauliflower, broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage, spinach and lettuce. Is there anyone else out there doing a winter garden? What are you growing??????????

Post subject: Re: Winter Garden Anyone?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:33 am 
Seagull of the PPK

Hey, I am in 9B myself, though I am in south america (we are at elevation and have lots of precip, so we are sort of a weird anomaly among zones 10, 11, and up).
What is your winter weather like? Ours is cold nights but warm-ish days (or raw rainy days, but almost never cold clear days). In winter I grow lots of chard, kale, lettuce, and I have artichokes and brussels sprouts going, along with (ALWAYS) snow peas, parsley, cilantro. Year round I have collards. Spinach never does well here (even in winter it bolts). This past winter I was working too much and then traveling, so I had a bit of neglect going, and really only had some kale and chard and the herbs. Trying to make up for it now.

Presently, since I'm in summer, my tomatoes are just getting flowers, okra is kicking butt, my corn failed AGAIN since we had too much rain, and my giant noodle beans and crimson runners are also taking their time (too much rain). our weather this year is causing issues.

(PS I also grew cardoons and holland typhon greens, which in my opinion were the biggest waste of time and effort to find the seeds.)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:54 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I'm in Southern California too. I have no idea what my zone is though, which might explain why I am a terrible gardener.

I just planted my winter garden too. I am growing two kinds of carrots, beets, kholrabi, parsnips, peas, lettuce, and chard.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:16 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I'm in the bay area, zone 17. I don't have a winter veggie garden but I have a native plants garden this year. All my natives went dormant over the summer but I still wasn't 100% sure if they were dormant or dead. Thanks to all the rain we've been getting they're coming back! I can't express how happy that makes me!

Last year I grew snow peas, dino kale, and rainbow chard. I got all these cabbage aphids on my kale and they grossed me out enough that I don't know if I'll grow it again.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:48 pm 

torque wrote:
Hey, I am in 9B myself, though I am in south america (we are at elevation and have lots of precip, so we are sort of a weird anomaly among zones 10, 11, and up).
What is your winter weather like? Ours is cold nights but warm-ish days (or raw rainy days, but almost never cold clear days). In winter I grow lots of chard, kale, lettuce, and I have artichokes and brussels sprouts going, along with (ALWAYS) snow peas, parsley, cilantro. Year round I have collards. Spinach never does well here (even in winter it bolts). This past winter I was working too much and then traveling, so I had a bit of neglect going, and really only had some kale and chard and the herbs. Trying to make up for it now.

Presently, since I'm in summer, my tomatoes are just getting flowers, okra is kicking butt, my corn failed AGAIN since we had too much rain, and my giant noodle beans and crimson runners are also taking their time (too much rain). our weather this year is causing issues.

(PS I also grew cardoons and holland typhon greens, which in my opinion were the biggest waste of time and effort to find the seeds.)

Yeah a zone 9b buddy. Our lows are 30 to 40 degrees. Our highs right now are in the 50's and 60's. We are having our rainy El Nino winter season. We have rain and clouds and a mix of sunshine. I think maybe I will add some peas and pole beans. I love kohlrabi, maybe I should add that too.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:51 am 
Seagull of the PPK

Pole beans need 70 and above to set flowers, if i recall, so peas might be a better option.
the one thing i forgot to add that I always grow, dozens of them, is nappa cabbage. they are pretty easy to grow and yields are high.
my neighbor behind my house grows kohlrabi, they get monstrous, I never quite know what to do with them so i don't grow them, but they sure are cool to look at. (which is why I grow artichokes too)

@couropita, if you are into that sort of thing, homemade aphid spray works wonders (soap, garlic, oil, I can dig up the recipe if you're interested).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:10 am 

I planted 47 asparagus crowns today. Its back-braking to dig down 12 inch trenches for 50 feet. I'm not built for hard labor. I am super excited that in 2-3 years we will have enough for our family. I LOVE asparagus its just too expensive to eat regularly. Tomorrow I put in the strawberry crowns and some new drip lines.

@torque good to know about the beans. I have some snap peas and sugar snap peas I will plant instead. I have kohlrabi seeds I can put in if its not too late. I actually really love kohlrabi, its just hard to find since its not super popular.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:56 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

torque wrote:
Pole beans need 70 and above to set flowers, if i recall, so peas might be a better option.
the one thing i forgot to add that I always grow, dozens of them, is nappa cabbage. they are pretty easy to grow and yields are high.
my neighbor behind my house grows kohlrabi, they get monstrous, I never quite know what to do with them so i don't grow them, but they sure are cool to look at. (which is why I grow artichokes too)

@couropita, if you are into that sort of thing, homemade aphid spray works wonders (soap, garlic, oil, I can dig up the recipe if you're interested).

That would be great, thanks torque! I have a homemade spray of diluted dish soap that works pretty well for normal green aphids but it seemed like those cabbage aphids have a coating that is more resistant. Does adding the garlic oil help more than soap alone?

I have a passion fruit vine that I've ignored all winter and I just noticed it dropped a few pods in the last few weeks. I planted them today so maybe I will have a bunch of baby passion fruits in the summer!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:33 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Everything is starting to sprout except my parsnips, but those always seem to take a while. I love this stage. It's so fun to see everything start to peek through the dirt.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:50 pm 

I finally planted 77 strawberry plants. My kids could eat their weight in strawberries. I wonder if I should plant more. I planted snap and snow peas today too. I just can't wait until the last day of frost. Its so exciting to get into the garden again. I wonder if I plant some summer crops early and just cover them when we get a frost. This is probably a bad idea, I am so tempted anyways.